Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Starship Class
11,892 Posts
I've never used Aves but I have used Magic Sculpt from Magic-Sculpt Brown and it seems every once in a blue moon--no fault of the compound which is excellent when properly mixed--I'll either forget to put the hardener in or don't put the proper amount in or something and have to scrape it off and do it again.

Reactions: alpink

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
I've never used Aves but I have used Magic Sculpt from Magic-Sculpt Brown and it seems every once in a blue moon--no fault of the compound which is excellent when properly mixed--I'll either forget to put the hardener in or don't put the proper amount in or something and have to scrape it off and do it again.
That can happen with AVES too if you don’t get the 50/50 mix ratio right or get them uniformly mixed. I find rolling each part (A and B) into a same size ball before mixing helps. Then to make sure they are mixed well I roll them into ”worms” then twist the worms together lengthwise before kneading the mixed putty for a few minutes.

·
Starship Class
11,892 Posts
That can happen with AVES too if you don’t get the 50/50 mix ratio right or get them uniformly mixed. I find rolling each part (A and B) into a same size ball before mixing helps. Then to make sure they are mixed well I roll them into ”worms” then twist the worms together lengthwise before kneading the mixed putty for a few minutes.
I wonder if sometimes I'm making up two balls of resin instead of one of resin and one of hardener and just not realizing it. I'm usually watching TV when I'm sculpting that stuff and have probably gotten distracted in the process on occasion.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
I wonder if sometimes I'm making up two balls of resin instead of one of resin and one of hardener and just not realizing it. I'm usually watching TV when I'm sculpting that stuff and have probably gotten distracted in the process on occasion.
Well at least you were going kneading two pieces together.
The other evening I rolled out the two parts but got distracted and forgot I hadn’t mixed them; I just grabbed a ball and started puttying. So the next morning the putty just flaked off as i tried to sand it. It was either just part A or B. What a waste of an hour. I’ve done that once or twice.

·
Starship Class
11,892 Posts
Well at least you were going kneading two pieces together.
The other evening I rolled out the two parts but got distracted and forgot I hadn’t mixed them; I just grabbed a ball and started puttying. So the next morning the putty just flaked off as i tried to sand it. It was either just part A or B. What a waste of an hour. I’ve done that once or twice.
Ouch! Yeah, it's frustrating to get it sculpted on there just right and then it doesn't cure. o_O

Such occurrences are why I keep some Sculpey around for using when I'm sculpting other stuff--figures or base/diorama parts--that don't require the strength or detail of the epoxy putty. It doesn't require mixing two parts together and can be baked a little to harden it.

·
Premium Member
6,004 Posts
I just finished posting a article I've written on some of my recent usages of Aves products.
Interesting and enlightening stuff. I especially appreciated your links to other modeling articles; I'll browse through those when I get the time (if ever). May I suggest that you use a different, easier to read font on your site? I found it difficult to decipher. Thanks for sharing.

·
Administrator
30,311 Posts
It is a bit easier to read if you tilt your head to the right to match the general angle of the font....

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks M-M,

I appreciate you kind words.

M-F-R, Naw. All you gotta do is just highlight the whole thing, to give yourself a blue-background to contrast my font type and color against.

It'll work, guaranteed!

- Tony

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've been using Aves for a pretty non-standard use I haven't heard of anyone else doing-- as a casting resin. This is just for smaller parts, of course. After making a mold with the reusable mold bars (sold on Amazon as "Hinodewashi Oyumaru-kun 1000"), I simply mix some Aves up and press it into the bottom mold half, then press on the top half. It does usually take me a few shots to get the part I want, but the quality is very good if the part is thick enough. I did find it can be a bit too fragile for finer wire-like parts. This method is fast and not nearly as messy as casting liquid resin, though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts