Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure if this is place to ask. I have a 1/24th nascar diecast that have damage from being improperly shipped. It can all be repaired but not sure what type of glue to use other than crazy glue. The parts to be repaired are made of plastic.

·
Registered
577 Posts
That depends on which parts have been damaged and whether or not the glue will be visible after the repair is done. A picture of what has to be fixed would be very helpful.

I'm told that the fumes from most brands of superglue can cause clear plastic to "fog up" and become opaque, so you'll have to be extra careful if the windshield is the source of your problems.

Other than that, the only real advice I can give you is that the sticky side of masking tape is something that can provide a barrier for wet glue, but be peeled off once everything dries. (That's one of the ways we fill small holes in a casting).

I wish I could be more helpful, but there's only so much I can say without knowing more about the damage.

Yip! Yip! Yowwwwwl!

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
Kind of depends on what's broke. There's new stuff out that I've never used that bonds with UV light. Heard it was pretty good. If it's clear plastic that isn't going to be under stress? I've had pretty good luck with white glue. It dries reasonably clear. If it's polystyrene I'd probably use TESTORS plastic model glue or some type of super glue.

·
Administrator
37,401 Posts
The OP will not be able to post pics until his 6th post - so maybe a description of the part/area affected in the mean time...

(OP - you can post a url link to where your photo is stored though!)

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Kind of depends on what's broke. There's new stuff out that I've never used that bonds with UV light. Heard it was pretty good. If it's clear plastic that isn't going to be under stress? I've had pretty good luck with white glue. It dries reasonably clear. If it's polystyrene I'd probably use TESTORS plastic model glue or some type of super glue.
Has anyone used the UV glue? I want to try it...

·
Administrator
37,401 Posts
I am interested as well. Thught it might work for clear head lamps - pour into opening - surface tension should make it bubble shaped - treat with light - (?)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts