Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my Solo 2-cycle motor is working fine except for an issue with the steel inlet diaphragm (I think this is the correct name) in the carburetor. After some time of use, the steel inlet diaphragm will break into small pieces. I substitute it for a new one, it will not last long. The carburetor air intake is properly protected by an air filter. There is no way stones, sand have entered the carburetor and broken the steel diaphragm. I attach a picture of the damaged steel inlet diaphragm.

Is there any way to adjust the motor to solve this issue? Any advice is welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Hello Sobo.The part you have is called a reed valve.It acts as a check valve to prevent crankcase pressure from blowing out through the carb.The last time I worked on a reed,it was on a 1950's Johnson outboard motor.If the reed metal wasn't tempered correctly,it could be breaking from the flex of opening and closing while running.I have heard that back firing of the motor could cause the reed to fracture.Is the flywheel key sheared at all?
Sorry I don't have a more definite answer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts