Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had experience with Solido's Age D'Or line? They seem to be very reasonably priced. How is the quality?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have a few Bugatti's from that line, they are okay, I painted the type 41 Royale to match pictures of the real model.

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
Here's a few pics of some Solido Age d'Or models G G.

A 1929 Cord L29. This is an early Solido Age d'Or that I bought in the early 1980's. The early Solido Age d'Or models were packaged in a plastic display case with a cut out cardboard box for viewing the model.

Here's a 1930 Bugatti Royal from around the same time (early 1980's). The packaging is still very similar. I only bought Duesenbergs, Cords, Cadillacs, Packards, Mercedes, and this 1930 Bugatti Royal from the Solido Age d'Or model line. The price at the time I bought these models were $17-$20. Solido also made foreign cars in this series like the Panhard-Levassor, Voisin, Hispano-Suiza, Renault, and Fiat. Later the packaging was changed, and the price was cut in half. The later models were from the late 1930's to the 1960's. These models sold for under $10, and are still seen for sale at shows for that price. The quality is nothing to write home about on these models, but the price is good and many of the models that Solido made in the Age d'Or series are not made by another company, or the price is much higher.

Here a pic of the later Solido Age d'Or packaging (no cardboard box). Many of the models in this series were American cars from the late 1930's to the 1960's. Many O scale model railroaders bought these models for their train layouts because they were inexpensive.

Hope this is of some help G G.

·
Registered
269 Posts
STUTZ said:
Here's a few pics of some Solido Age d'Or models G G.

A 1929 Cord L29. This is an early Solido Age d'Or that I bought in the early 1980's. The early Solido Age d'Or models were packaged in a plastic display case with a cut out cardboard box for viewing the model.

Here's a 1930 Bugatti Royal from around the same time (early 1980's). The packaging is still very similar. I only bought Duesenbergs, Cords, Cadillacs, Packards, Mercedes, and this 1930 Bugatti Royal from the Solido Age d'Or model line. The price at the time I bought these models were $17-$20. Solido also made foreign cars in this series like the Panhard-Levassor, Voisin, Hispano-Suiza, Renault, and Fiat. Later the packaging was changed, and the price was cut in half. The later models were from the late 1930's to the 1960's. These models sold for under $10, and are still seen for sale at shows for that price. The quality is nothing to write home about on these models, but the price is good and many of the models that Solido made in the Age d'Or series are not made by another company, or the price is much higher.

Here a pic of the later Solido Age d'Or packaging (no cardboard box). Many of the models in this series were American cars from the late 1930's to the 1960's. Many O scale model railroaders bought these models for their train layouts because they were inexpensive.

Hope this is of some help G G.
I have that Bugatti, I painted the dark blue insert on the sides of the car and hood to match the real one.

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
HobbyRI said:
I have that Bugatti, I painted the dark blue insert on the sides of the car and hood to match the real one.
Hi HobbyRI. :wave: When did you buy your 1930 Bugatti Royal? You can see the sticker with the price on mine, and I bought it in the early 1980's. Do you remember what you paid for yours?

Thanks in advance......Ray

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
HobbyRI said:
I bought mine in the early 80's also, I believe it was around $14-17. I was collecting 1/43 Bugattis for a while.
When you think about it, the price was quite expensive at the time. I bought most of mine between 1980-1982 at $18-$20.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Wow - this is an old thread (from before I joined)!

I bought mine in the 1970s - for about the same price. Also a few perhaps from A B Charles even!!! (small world). But mostly my Mom got me Matchbox and Yesteryears from Charles in the mid 1960s!!!

L'age d'or can be dated by the box type:
1965-1974 - red
1974 - red and gold, paper sticker w/ name
1976-... - bordeaux color, 2 sides open
1979-... - black, 2 sides open
1980-... - black, 3 sides open
[Ref: B. Azema, 1983]

Therefore,
1976: Mercedes 540K 1939

1980: Jaguar SS100 1938

1 - 9 of 9 Posts