Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 342 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Teslabe's J-2 special effects

Teslabe used a great little motor from ebay to make his radar antennia rotate on his 128 Seaview:

http://photos.hobbytalk.com/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/43270

I was so blown away bought a few of those motors myself, and plan on using one and a super simple belt drive to make the two year 1/2 radar screens spin on my 1/24 J2. I too had thought about the computer reels but they hardly ever worked on screen.
Speaking about bells and whistles, I wonder if Teslabe is already planning more little tiny video screens for his J2. And actually, the main control center console and comm area screens would look great "live". If you go 3d season, where they replaced the radar screens with two video displays, that would make for a spectacular display. He did have a thread somewhere here on how he did that with his Seaview.
Teslabe, are you out there?

Hi starseeker,
"I'm here", and can't wait for the three kits I have coming......:wave: Thank you for the very nice words, I have too many ideas for this baby and hope that the flight deck has room for the plans I have for it....:freak: I put a motor in the Astrogator in my PL J-2, I plan to do the same with my Moebius build. The second set of picture are the CCFT lights for the ceiling and the last set of pictures is what I'm looking at for the radar and center displays on the flight console, I thought about the whole display being video displays but didn't like the idea of nothing there when the videos were off, so just the centers will be video and the rest will be FO. I will recycle my Fustion core lighting from my LM 16.5" build, I'll replace the LEDs with white. The tape reels might move, need to find the right motor and buy the nice photoetched set from Paulbo....:thumbsup:

PS: I posted a new video of the dish in the finished sub, take a look in "My Photos"

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here are the rest of the pictures. My old core lighting circuit that will be updated and the 0.96" OLED display for the Flight console. This is just the start, I think my head might explode with this kit, I'll post the video....:p

PS, the board to the right of my old core lighting circuit is a new version.....;)

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Teslabe,

Those are some absolutely AWESOME effects! Is this something that you have put together as a how-to and what specific parts with specs to obtain to get the same effects or are you possibly selling these as a kit for people to buy and install?

I think you would have a great way to make a lot of people really happy if you offered something like that!

Absolutley INCREDIBLE!:thumbsup:

MMM

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Teslabe,

Those are some absolutely AWESOME effects! Is this something that you have put together as a how-to and what specific parts with specs to obtain to get the same effects or are you possibly selling these as a kit for people to buy and install?

I think you would have a great way to make a lot of people really happy if you offered something like that!

Absolutley INCREDIBLE!:thumbsup:

MMM
Thank you very much MMM, most of what I build I take photos so if anyone else would like to build something I've done, they can. Like the little servo I used in my Seaview for the radar, I have every step photographed to modify one. Which effect did you have in mind? I might be able to help, just send me a PM. Sorry, I don't sell the things I make, I hardly have time to build the ones I need for my builds....;)
The group has some great lighting effect builders that sell, like JAI and VooDooFX, to name just a few.....:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would surely be one of these happy guys. :thumbsup:
Please, say "Yes".
Hi Fernando, which effect did you have in mind, I might be able to help with where to get the parts to build what you need. If it's lighting effects, I'd look to JAI or VooDooFX, this is what they do and they both do it very well. I would not feel right taking any business away from them, sorry, I hope you understand....:wave:

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Love it! Stupidly, I thought that when we finally saw what you were up to I wouldn't be surprised. And, truth be told, I guess I'm really not surprised. No, what it is, is: I'm awe-struck. You're doing it again, but you're taking this to a whole new level, aren't you? Now I have a reason to want these kits to be delivered soon, so we can see more. (The Seaview, FS wall, and tricorder (that's new to me) are brilliantby the way.)
All best!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Hi Fernando, which effect did you have in mind, I might be able to help with where to get the parts to build what you need. If it's lighting effects, I'd look to JAI or VooDooFX, this is what they do and they both do it very well. I would not feel right taking any business away from them, sorry, I hope you understand....:wave:
I understand. I would be happy if you could just indicate specs of motors and other parts (appropriate to the radar scans, astrogator and navigational recorder) and also the suppliers (if possible, with web sites - I live in Brazil and will need to import everything).
Thanks a lot. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Love it! Stupidly, I thought that when we finally saw what you were up to I wouldn't be surprised. And, truth be told, I guess I'm really not surprised. No, what it is, is: I'm awe-struck. You're doing it again, but you're taking this to a whole new level, aren't you? Now I have a reason to want these kits to be delivered soon, so we can see more. (The Seaview, FS wall, and tricorder (that's new to me) are brilliantby the way.)
All best!
Thank you so very much.....:wave: It all has to do with the kit, if it's a lame
kit I have no creative juices at all, but, as with every Moebius kit I've bought, my head just explodes with ideas when I crack open the box and see how well they are designed and produced......;). I can't wait to get my J-2 so I can see just how far I can go with this one. After 40+ years of waiting I'm a very happy man...... If you have an interest in the Tricorder mod, take a look form this post forward.

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showpost.php?p=2924513&postcount=72

Best Regads,
Kent F.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I understand. I would be happy if you could just indicate specs of motors and other parts (appropriate to the radar scans, astrogator and navigational recorder) and also the suppliers (if possible, with web sites - I live in Brazil and will need to import everything).
I'll post some info on this when I get home from work. I too had to import everything. It all came from China, it was no big deal, you should have no problem shipping to Brazil from China. Be happy you don't live in Italy, most
E-Bay stores will not ship to Italy.......:drunk:

Best Regards,
Kent F.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
http://cgi.ebay.com/6x-SG90-9g-Micr...Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2a03438bc6

Fernando, here is the info on the servo I used in my Seaview. I have pictures showing how to modify them to spin, servos only rotate 90-180 degs, some can go as far as 270. I needed mine to spin continuously, so you must take them apart to do so. I will try to use them for the astrogator and the reels of the nav recorder, but I will be using small video displays for the flight console radar displays, like I did in my Seaview. Send me a PM for more info.

PS, We are getting OT, I think we need to move this to a new tread out of respect for the author....:wave:
I just started a new tread, now how do I move this stuff?

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I thought it fair that I start a tread for us to post the things we will or would like to do to our J-2s. I was asked what I planed to do to my build in another
tread and thought we should move that converstion here. How can I move the posts from another tread???? Can the moderator please help.....:wave:
They are in "Jupiter 2 astrogator from JAI", starting with post# 31, thank you for any help.....

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
I'm going to watch what you do, make copious notes, and plan to do them in my own build someday! You really need to encapsulate your video screen biz... simpy awesome!

Drew

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm going to watch what you do, make copious notes, and plan to do them in my own build someday! You really need to encapsulate your video screen biz... simpy awesome!

Drew
Hi Drew, Great to hear from you and love your new figures for the J-2.....:thumbsup: I will be ordering at least one set to start and I'm sure
I'll get two more for the other two kits I have coming......:woohoo:
Thank you for the kind words, I need the kits so I can see just what I can or
can't do with it. But if I know Moebius, this will be one crazy build....;)

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Fernando, here is the info on the servo I used in my Seaview. I have pictures showing how to modify them to spin, servos only rotate 90-180 degs, some can go as far as 270. I needed mine to spin continuously, so you must take them apart to do so. I will try to use them for the astrogator and the reels of the nav recorder, but I will be using small video displays for the flight console radar displays, like I did in my Seaview. Send me a PM for more info.
Thanks teslabe. I'm planning to set up my radar scanners to rotate, like they were on the 2nd season. As a neophyte on eletronics, I think I better wait to see what you are going to do and follow your steps. I sent you a PM.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks teslabe. I'm planning to set up my radar scanners to rotate, like they were on the 2nd season. As a neophyte on eletronics, I think I better wait to see what you are going to do and follow your steps. I sent you a PM.
Send you a PM. What radar scanners are you talking about, the screens in the flight console?

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes. The two at left and right of the flight console. Do you guess it would be possible to this kit? I mean, is there enough room?
Not sure til I get my kits, but looking at the photos from Frank you might have a chance, after all the servos are small enough to fit in the sail of my Seaview, it all depends on how deep it is under the console.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think this would also work very well for the few who are going to do a mechanical Fusion lighting effect, just use a larger servo for your mod. I would think it would be easy to attach a rod to the bottom of the modified feedback
pot for the top scanner effect and the mounting for the servo could also have the wiper contacts for the lamp's power. Just make a disk from some sheet plastic about the diameter of the core, minus the room for your lamps and mount it to the servo's output shaft. With some 22AWG sold buss wire make two rings, one smaller then the other and mount them to the plastic sheet with two sided tape. That would get wired to the lamps, be sure to solder the wires to the side of the buss wire so that the rings are smooth for the brushes, otherwise the lamps will flicker when the brushes bounce over any high spots.
Just a thought.....:wave:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Two small pulleys and o-rings could drive the radars..attached to a single geared motor or servo beneath the main deck if there is not enough room behind the consoles.

1 - 20 of 342 Posts