Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As just about everyone who reads here will know, I recently got this model.

Which after some banter and deliberation was carefully(ish) opened to leave me with this....

One empty package. This is obviously a pre-production package as it was not released like that. The model was #41, not #12. The rear also states different information too, and there is no bar code.

Now I really do not care for this item. It holds no personal value to me, and I have absolutely no desire to keep it. It is just the package the item I wanted came in. And just like any other package, it was opened. Now normally, I would just throw this away, but I know that there are people out there who would shout a ton of abuse at me if I did. But it seriously is not staying at my house. It has to go. So therefore there are 2 choices. Throw it away or send it to somebody who would be happy to enjoy it anyway. We all collect differently and we all enjoy different things. So I am more than happy to send this out to somebody who, unlike me, will enjoy it and be happy to have it.

I could create a competition, but I can't be bothered. So I am going to make it simple. Anybody who would like this can just leave me a message stating why they want it. You can reply here, you can email me or PM me, you can leave a message on the Lamley blog, or on the Lamley facebook page. Anywhere where you know I will see it.

Best message wins. I am not looking for any money. It holds no value to me, so I am not looking to make money off it. I am sure it will not be worth that much financially, but more personally to somebody. Therefore whoever I think gives me the best reason why they should have it will be sent it. I will be paying the mail costs (don't worry about that) and all I will need is a mailing address anywhere in the world and a way to contact who I think came up with the best reason. We can sort that out once this is done.

I am looking at about 2 weeks from now to make a decision with the hope of mailing it out on Saturday October 27th. So it is up to you guys to save the package from being chucked and to enjoy it.

:) :D :p

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Well, to me, ever since Matchbox started out, it has always been about the packaging and the artwork. The company was called Matchbox, so I do enjoy the little boxes shaped and designed like a match box. To me they just belong together. Since I grew up in the 80's, I also started to keep the window boxes. Nowadays I do not keep the cardboard and the blisters of the basic lines but the premium lines like Superfast or Lesney Edition are the last sort of echo of the days when those little boxes belonged to the cars and formed a set in my eyes.

This particular card and box belong to that sort of tradition and they are pre-production examples. I do not care about the "rare" factor as much as they are simply special, just like my BP and Japanese models that I've posted here before. That probably is what you meant when you said this box might be worth something to someone for personal reasons.

Should you decide to send it to me, contact through Hobbytalk should be a way. Should you decide that somebody else gets it, I'm sure it'll go to a good home. Either way, thanks for not destroying it.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Really glad to see it's not destroyed. I am more of an opener, but respect packaging such as this.I love the Matchbox "matchbox". To me, they go together. I would love to have it, but my history with Matchbox is not that long and as much as I would appreciate it, it would mean more to the guys who have been in this for a long time. Very cool car, package and gesture. :)

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
I wouldn't say it means more to those who have been in it for a long time. Going by your post, I'd say you would probably enjoy it just as much as I do. And thanks for all the other remarks, I think it isn't up for a vote so I'll be content with whatever DT decides. I'm sure this isn't the only forum where he's posted the packaging. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Since it is now the 29th October here in New Zealand, I just wanted to post congratulations to whoever got the packaging. :thumbsup: It'll be an awesome asset.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay I have to apologize about this. I have been out of the internet for a short while due to things happening at home. I was planning on getting back on yesterday and then the internet went down at home. It appeared to be back on overnight. So I have had to push things back to this week.

I am going to email or PM the winner in the next day or so and plan on getting the box sent out this weekend instead.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Didn't think so, this was a month ago. I just wondered if we know that collector and give him a big congratulations shout. :)

·
Registered
14,683 Posts
Kiwi, maybe David has BIG computer problems. After offering it, he really should give it to you - you're the one who would give it the best home, for sure...:thumbsup:

:wave:

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ah yes, I forgot about posting the results everywhere. I am sorry about that. After much deliberation, a guy called Wes Bishop was the happy recipient of the package. It was sent over to USA and arrived a few weeks ago. He is now displaying it in a cabinet along with some other Matchbox-related stuff. I had a tough time going through the posts on message boards, PMs, emails, etc. There were some really good arguments and ideas from people.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts