Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I respectfully submit the following car for consideration .
It's a combination PIP and flames (though it's grey w/flames versus Black with flames)

I think it'll be a huge success for y'all plus I'll get a real charge out of seeing one of my cars done in diecast.

It'll be a win / win.

This is the only picture I have left unfortunately;

And now might I suggest an 89 Ford F-150;

PLeeeeeeeaaaaassssseeeee.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I am glad to see this casting as well. I will have to wait until I get my examples from Milezones to be able to say how detailed it is but from looking at the photos, it appears the grille area is non-descript, the canted back headlamp/parking lamp/side lamp area and squared off taillight around the side 1/4 without a dividing strip across it indicates to me it is more a 79 than an 80. If that turns out to be the case, I have some work to do to get it to look like my 1:1 79 as in the photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Got mine in the mail Saturday. Looks pretty good, but I have yet to take it out of the package and inspect it hands on. I can say that the flames look a lot nicer than I thought they would. It was a bit hard to see what was on the hood in some of the previous pictures posted...but overall I am pretty pleased with what I see.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Got mine today and here is my assessment.....it is not an 80 model, nor is it a 79 as I had suspected from the photos online. What looked like angled back headlamp areas is actually an illusion in photos as the actual casting is more squared off in this area. though it is impossible to see in photos, the horizontal grille bars and one piece taillamps with inboard backup lights indicate it to be an 81 Malibu. Overall, not bad but there are some odd things which do not look right when compared to the 79 in my garage, mainly, the rear roof C pillar looks a little too straight up, and the rear 1/4's are flared in on the model, but not on the 1:1 car. This makes the mid section look like it bows out, more noticeable when you turn it over for sure but still, makes the wheels look too far inboard. In all honesty, so many of these cars that have survived have an amalgam of parts from 78-83 that most people do not really even know which year is which....

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Got mine today and here is my assessment.....it is not an 80 model, nor is it a 79 as I had suspected from the photos online. What looked like angled back headlamp areas is actually an illusion in photos as the actual casting is more squared off in this area. though it is impossible to see in photos, the horizontal grille bars and one piece taillamps with inboard backup lights indicate it to be an 81 Malibu. Overall, not bad but there are some odd things which do not look right when compared to the 79 in my garage, mainly, the rear roof C pillar looks a little too straight up, and the rear 1/4's are flared in on the model, but not on the 1:1 car. This makes the mid section look like it bows out, more noticeable when you turn it over for sure but still, makes the wheels look too far inboard. In all honesty, so many of these cars that have survived have an amalgam of parts from 78-83 that most people do not really even know which year is which....
Nice observations, Jim :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I will be buying this casting. Sorry, but I will not buy this casting with the '80s style Pep Boys flames.
I'll buy most things that are BWF...but i was wondering how some folks might react to this one. It's the sort of car a lot of parents might've driven back in the 80's...which seems like one of those everyday cars that collectors will love mostly in solid realistic colors.

Like the Squirrel, I would've attempted to flame most anything. So I'm okay with it. It actually looks better up close than in some of the pics I've seen. There have been a lot worse flame jobs. I'm just not sure I would've flamed it quite the way the JL team did here. Hard to say whether I would choose something tighter, but deffinitly more of a color. The flames looked sort of blueish online, but up close it's almost a pimer gray, flat toned too, which I think clashes with the shiny black and red/orange licks.

Just my 2 cents :wave:

·
Registered
972 Posts
I wish JL would have at least did this one in a stock version first. Looks like the next one is more like a Spoliers version too, so no stock one there...

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Robert, can you get a pic of the back?

Looks like the tailight tampos are badly botched there, and I'd like to see the taillight casting.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Shockingly Dumb!

What in the holy hell is going on there! That's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. The upper part was NEVER a tailight, that area is the figerglass or cast-metal quarter panel END CAP!
How did something like that ever make it through the pre-pro stage? This just shows an overall lack of automotive knowlage, or just plain lack of interest of what's going on in the company.

·
Registered
981 Posts
What in the holy hell is going on there! That's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. The upper part was NEVER a tailight, that area is the figerglass or cast-metal quarter panel END CAP!
How did something like that ever make it through the pre-pro stage? This just shows an overall lack of automotive knowlage, or just plain lack of interest of what's going on in the company.
My feelings as well .... JL was once the standard in my book.. when pride in the product was evident with every new casting they released...

It's just sad to see them as a non-contender..

·
Registered
812 Posts
I looked forward to this casting for a long time, but I have to say I am extremely dissapointed with the finished product. :( I hope the upcoming release in the 2.0 series is better than this one.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Ask and you shall receive. And yeah, those tail lights sticking out more than a sore thumb's worth...more like an entire arthritic hand :rolleyes:

This picture shows what I mean about the mid section looking too bowed out because the 1/4's are flared in, look at the area in front of the rear wheel.....makes the wheel look like it is way too far in. Overall, I wish they had done a better job on this one. It seems the 87 Monte SS would be a tougher car to get right and yet, that one is really nice and the Malibu, a car that should have been easy to do correctly, is lacking in effort. One other thing I noticed on my examples and on the one in the photo here, the left taillight has a brighter red paint than the right one.

·
Vacation Needed
7,577 Posts
After having owned a '78, '80 and two '81 Malibus, I had really high hopes for this casting once I heard it was coming out. Packaging says it's an 80 but the tail lights and grille remind me more of an 81. Ordinarily that would be a good thing for me, but it's been botched so badly in the front and rear I can't help but be disappointed. I guess I still expect the trademark quality of the Johnny Lightning from days past.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
And ya know what else? BOTH axles are set too far back in there respective wheel-houses. THAT just plain pisses me off to no end. Allmost as much as incorrect proportions. At least the axle thing is fixable with a butt load of work...which I shouldn't halfta do.

And another thing...does the wheel arches look to big to you guys? Expeshially in the rear???

[email protected]

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They are fiberglass.
At least the taillight casting looks ok.

And thanks for the pic Robert:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts