Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After being inspired by the photos Jinx posted in the "Powered By Ford" thread, I had to find my own Rondeau! I hit both proverbial birds with one stone by choosing this 1980 Le Mans winner for my collection.

This release is the Quartzo produced version ( Vitesse / Sun Star) of the Rondeau M379B which won the 1980 endurance classic at the hands of it’s creator Jean Rondeau and co driver, Jean Pierre Jaussaud. Powered by a 2993 cc (182 ci) Ford Cosworth V8, this strange little car proved quite competitive over it’s life span.

According to what I read, this is a fairly remarkable feat. It seems that no other car in Le Mans history has ever won which was owned, designed and driven by it's name sake. In the 6 years which Rondeau creations contested Le Mans (1978-83) 19 cars were built with an amazing 17 still remaining. This particular car, chassis number #003 ran the 24 a total of 4 times with an amazing record - 10th in 1979, 1st in 1980, 3td in '81 and 10th again in it last race, 1982.

By the end of the '83 season, Rondeau had closed up his own operations but continued to drive for others. tragically, he was killed in a street car accident when his car collided with a train near his home in La Sarthe. He was just 39 years old.

A sad ending to a bright career, but we do have his art to remember him by today.

Enjoy....

Ward

·
Registered
920 Posts
Ward - I love Rondeaus.

Here's the #17, from the same race, which finished in 3rd - drivem by the Martin brothers & Gordon Spice (all of whom used Belga cigarette sponsorship for many years)

The #17 is an Altaya model, made by Ixo - it didn't come with the Belga decals, I bought & applied them myself.

Steve

·
Registered
40 Posts
As an aside on the rising cost of sponsorship. Notice the red/blue circle just behind the front wheels of the 80 winner. That is the symbol of AMR the company of Andre Marie Ruf of 1:43 white metal/resin kit fame. Imagine a company of tyhat size being able to get such coverage today.

Cheers
Lee

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
I usually don't like the modern racers so much, but this has got gobs of charm and charactor. I think it's really good looking, but I have odd tastes to say the least.
It reminds me very much of the French race cars of the '60s.
COOL pic!!!

·
Premium Member
4,663 Posts
I usually don't like the modern racers so much, but this has got gobs of charm and charactor. I think it's really good looking, but I have odd tastes to say the least.
It reminds me very much of the French race cars of the '60s.
COOL pic!!!
I agree but, I also see alot of Rover in the car, especially in the rear end, anyone else??

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
I"m not seeing the "Ugly" in this car. I think it looks good. I like the design. I think it has great lines.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts