Hobbyist Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would disagree with you on almost all your broad generalizations for 1:64 scale diecasts - even to the $0.99 HWs mainlines as way overly generalized.

I can still get them for $0.94 cents locally as the cheapest price point but at resale 90% of those casting can be had for as little as $0.50 a piece on the 2ndary market in a year or two (and sometimes even the same year.

As for the eye candy pieces they make - a > 100% return is the standard, 1000% is the mean/average and I have a few that would easily sell right now for 10,000% or more over their less than a dollar initial cost.

You should price range Maisto 1:64 castings right now....
Firstly I'm really only referring to HW as being pretty worthless overall. Like I mentioned in the above post, yes there are a very few that might be worth anything.
Other 1/64s have retained or grown in value depending on the brand and some are worth scrap.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'm wondering how this Coronavirus is going to affect stock, it already hasn't been that great so far this year(though it is getting better the last month or so). Kind of thinking a lot of stores might not prioritize stocking HW in favor of stocking essentials. Also curious how the production of HW is going overseas, if they've halted that at all.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
One thing folks and that is HWs are made to NEVER, EVER appreciate in value. As a toy they will never become a valued collectable. Mattel makes sure of that. They were 99 cents in 1995, 99 cents in 2005 and still the same price today. If you bought HWs in the 1990 then they're still worth what HWs were bought in 2000 and 2010, and that is zilch.

They are toys to be played with or collected as eye candy. When you, as adults, are done then give them to the next generation to play with or, for example, donate them to a local charity for Christmas gift bags. Note: not even charities want loose HWs.

It is so true that you should never collect with monetary appreciation in mind.

BUT if you still want to go that route, then you need to come up with serious cash.

A 99 cents HW is still 99 cents. A $120 CMC 1/18 diecast is bidding in the mid $200 range currently on eBay. I think this is an eight year period. Newer editions of models are going for $400 !!! Even move down a scale to 1/43. About a dozen yrs ago they went for $12-20. AVERAGING $30-50 now. New editions sell for $50-80.

Naturally these are broad generalizations but I'm pretty sure you get my drift. For myself, I couldn't afford $100 for a model. That's ridiculous. Years ago I even stopped collecting 1/43 models because they were becoming to expensive.

I'm not sure what your statement is based on.
Mattel has made it a point to keep Hot Wheels at a $1 or less. A few years ago they attempted to raise the price to over $1 and the collectors let them know and the price point went back to $1.
As for the statement ;

"One thing folks and that is HWs are made to NEVER, EVER appreciate in value. As a toy they will never become a valued collectable. Mattel makes sure of that. They were 99 cents in 1995, 99 cents in 2005 and still the same price today. If you bought HWs in the 1990 then they're still worth what HWs were bought in 2000 and 2010, and that is zilch"

Not true at all. Sure some mainlines aren't valued at much more than 99 cents.
There are, and I'm being generous, dozens of castings that are valued even years after they came out. Some range in value from $10 to $100
Here are a few examples;
#22 from 2007 64 Lincoln Continental--silver metallic $200
#23 from 2007 Ferrari 250 LM--yellow enamel chrome Malaysia base $10
#122 from 2005 1967 Camaro Treasure Hunt with chrome red line real riders with painted engine $150
with black wall real riders $100
#13 from 2003 Swoop Coupe light candy red with all small wheels 5 spoke $50
#618 from 1997 Chevy Stocker $20
#271 Funny Car from 1994 still valued well over $1000

It all comes down to the details on many castings because they may be a variation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just wish HWs are reasonably priced where I am, considering where it's made. On convenience stores it's going for $3, while the toy shops are going from $5 for the loose ones and all the way up to freaking $35.

I really, really wish Mattel would just create a whole lot more of the cars that are known to be hoarded/scalped, just to dampen the ridiculous price inflation.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I just wish HWs are reasonably priced where I am, considering where it's made. On convenience stores it's going for $3, while the toy shops are going from $5 for the loose ones and all the way up to freaking $35.

I really, really wish Mattel would just create a whole lot more of the cars that are known to be hoarded/scalped, just to dampen the ridiculous price inflation.
I doubt that would even change anything. For example, if one of the guys around here walks into a store and finds 25 of the newest '55 Gassers, he buys them all. If the same guy walks in and finds 75 of the same cars, he probably still buys them all. The greed is endless.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I doubt that would even change anything. For example, if one of the guys around here walks into a store and finds 25 of the newest '55 Gassers, he buys them all. If the same guy walks in and finds 75 of the same cars, he probably still buys them all. The greed is endless.
Perhaps, but I bet that the multitude of scalpers/hoarders don't have the same purchasing endurance to compete against rate that Mattel makes die-cast models. The greed of a scalper/hoarder can be in the stratosphere, but it's not endless.

·
BANNED
7,935 Posts
Kalsonic, man .....? where are you?
basic Hot Wheels and Matchbox are $.99 in most stores here with a few grocery and dollar stores charging $1.25.
I generally use die cast bodies to make molds so that I can make custom lightweight resin bodies for slot cars.
so, I am not in that aisle as often as a lot of these guys and I certainly don't know which are valuable or highly sought after.

·
Administrator
26,679 Posts
Perhaps, but I bet that the multitude of scalpers/hoarders don't have the same purchasing endurance to compete against rate that Mattel makes die-cast models. The greed of a scalper/hoarder can be in the stratosphere, but it's not endless.
That is not really the function of the scalper/hoarder but from the people who will pay those prices for them. Reasonable sure if that person only had one item to sell they would still be selling it for $35 as the market for them would bear out.

·
Administrator
26,679 Posts

Where do you live? It may be a matter of less supply more demand for you area. And one can easily buy a case of HWs off the internet from a lot of different places and beat the scalper/hoarder to that portion of the supply chain.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Since I started collecting I have always been particular about what HW castings I want to add to my collection. I don't need to have every single thing they produce. I also don't buy a lot of multiples of the same casting unless I really really like it. That being said I have been focusing more towards Matchbox because they make cool police, fire, rescue, construction and service vehicles and a lot more regular new and vintage vehicles that don't have crazy tampos on them. We don't actually have a problem finding Hot Wheels or Matchbox in my city as far as that is concerned. We have plenty of Walmarts and Dollar discount stores that sell them. It's just trying to get there before the hoarders or scalpers do. :D

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
I'm wondering how this Coronavirus is going to affect stock, it already hasn't been that great so far this year(though it is getting better the last month or so). Kind of thinking a lot of stores might not prioritize stocking HW in favor of stocking essentials. Also curious how the production of HW is going overseas, if they've halted that at all.
Good questions for sure.
All of the ports are open here in the US for containers from overseas.
I never looked to see what the numbers of COVID-19 cases are in Malaysia and Thailand.
Mattel keeps Treasure Hunt numbers secret, so I bet they won't say anything about production facilities overseas.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Where do you live? It may be a matter of less supply more demand for you area. And one can easily buy a case of HWs off the internet from a lot of different places and beat the scalper/hoarder to that portion of the supply chain.
Just did s quick look based on Kalsonic's flag and I think he lives in Brunei.
That would explain the high cost of Hot Wheels and what he said about "considering where I am and where its made".
Malaysia is across the South China Sea from Kalsonic.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just did s quick look based on Kalsonic's flag and I think he lives in Brunei.
That would explain the high cost of Hot Wheels and what he said about "considering where I am and where its made".
Malaysia is across the South China Sea from Kalsonic.
Thanks, and exactly. When you look at the currency exchange it can get pretty ridiculous. Usually 1 US dollar can be roughly 1.30 to 1.50 here, so imagine how baffled I am when it's 99 cents (US) after being shipped halfway across the world, but 3 dollars (BN) when shipped just across the pond. Lol.

·
BANNED
7,935 Posts
Thanks, and exactly. When you look at the currency exchange it can get pretty ridiculous. Usually 1 US dollar can be roughly 1.30 to 1.50 here, so imagine how baffled I am when it's 99 cents (US) after being shipped halfway across the world, but 3 dollars (BN) when shipped just across the pond. Lol.
so, I am thinking it is a demand and quantity thing that makes them more expensive for you.
bummer!
:(

21 - 37 of 37 Posts