Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not been really thrilled about Hot Wheels the last year or two for some reason.
I don't know if I'm just not that thrilled with the releases, or nothing in the current year's offering ever turns up in my area
except at the local Flea Markets or Vendor's Malls where it is bad overpriced, or that I might just be getting burned out on the
whole Hot Wheels scene. I mean I have been in Walmart twice this week and Kroger's once and I did not even bother to go
check the Hot Wheels out.
I live in such a small market that none, and I mean NONE of the special HWs set releases hardly ever make it out on the shelves
in the stores here.
Maybe I just have the New Year's Blues!?
:frown2:​

·
Registered
567 Posts
Nope, you're not alone. It's not what it used to be. I am also getting older and the market is not what it used to be. I am trying to sell off some of my collection and there are no buyers. If there are buyers they want it for a stupid LOW price. One example I had a box of assorted diecast some Hot Wheels including THs, some Johnny Lightning including WLs and some other diecast in the box total worth of the box $95 started the bid at $45 no takers lowered it to $35 no takers did a buy it now for $30 no takers so I just packed them back up and put them back in the shed. The collector market is shrinking and getting older plus they make way too many cars. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, you're not alone. It's not what it used to be. I am also getting older and the market is not what it used to be. I am trying to sell off some of my collection and there are no buyers. If there are buyers they want it for a stupid LOW price. One example I had a box of assorted diecast some Hot Wheels including THs, some Johnny Lightning including WLs and some other diecast in the box total worth of the box $95 started the bid at $45 no takers lowered it to $35 no takers did a buy it now for $30 no takers so I just packed them back up and put them back in the shed. The collector market is shrinking and getting older plus they make way too many cars. Just my 2 cents worth.
Yeah, I'm selling off a lot of my collection too- 6 Hot Wheels for $5- and there are very few takers in my area too.
I had five 6 Car Sets up two week ago and a local Yahoo said he wanted them. When I met him for the sale he
wanted to go through the sets and just buy what he wanted. I threw them in the back seat of my truck and came home.
:|

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
It's all about chase cars and cars that can be flipped easily. It's getting to where trying to find regular mainlines is hard because of hoarding.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Seems to me that buyers don't want the older stuff, just the newest thing. Thats not too unusual really. The Sports card market works the same way. Its all about potential value. HW sales haven't really dropped off much in my area. The guy at one of the local Walmarts said he can put out a 900 ct dump bin and its gone, all but for a few scraps, just in 1 weekend. My eBay sales are holding steady. Sometimes stuff sits on there for months or even a year or more, till somebody comes along and grabs it up. Just recently I had 1 guy that bought all of the Mustangs I had listed, which was about 6 lots of 4-6 cars each. Put all in a flat rate box and shipped to Texas.

As far as burnout......yeah it happens. I've collected lots of different things over the years and have sold them off when it got old. HWs will be the same at some point. I do get the frustration of not being able to find anything at the stores. This year was really bad for me as far as THs. I usually find anywhere from 6-12 supers over the holiday season. This year I found 1.....and it was a 2018.

·
BANNED
7,770 Posts
let's face .... the "real collectors" are all getting older and have most of what they want already.
they are just trying to fill in some blanks and keep up with the limited stuff.
the younger folks think there is a fortune to be made reselling $1 toys.
so they scoop up huge amounts to resell.

I am mostly into slot cars, but die cast cars come into play sometimes.
anyway, there is little interest in slot cars among younger people.
so, as folks pass on, their collections might get sold for nearly nothing by family that don't know the values.
eventually, there will be very few who value these slot cars and then they will be dirt cheap or buried in land fills.
I hate to say that or even think it.
there are still some slot cars selling for ridiculous money and they will not hold value forever.
as I have been taught, things are only worth what someone is willing to spend.

if Hot Wheels isn't catering to the tastes you folks have developed then they consider you too small of the percentage of market buyers.

and finally, limited edition collectibles, die cast cars in particular are generally picked over by staff or buyers who get privileges to cull before they go on the pegs and in the bins.
so it is only rarely that they get sold through the original retail vendor for manufactures suggested price.

·
Registered
476 Posts
these last few cases of mainlines haven't had too much as far as desirable models go, and I've noticed Walmarts don't tend to keep their stock of mainlines well stocked as well. The closest Walmart to me doesn't deal with dump bins at all, and the pegs don't get updated very often. The next closest one has dump bins they refresh every so often but the pegs are almost always 75% bare(though to be fair the last few dump bin refreshes I have been lucky, even found the Jeepster Commando Super TH). And the premium models you either have to check every day first thing or even multiple times a day, or just be stupidly lucky, and it doesn't help that collectors have figured out that the stores sometimes keep un opened boxes of stock up on the top shelf; the other day I saw a post in the local collectors Facebook page that someone found a case of the latest Boulevard set(with the Silverado 4x4 and the VW van) on the top shelf of a Walmart and they bought the whole case. Have a feeling unless you are one of the lucky ones that finds a case like that the Silverado and the VW will be impossible to find on the pegs.

And it's hard because I'm on the younger side of the collectors market(still in my early 30s) thus I have to work, many people in the area are much older than me and I assume retired and are able to hit stores at times that I'm not like 8 in the morning. By the time I get off in the afternoon stores are already picked over.

The one saving grace is, even though I like to collect GM cars too, I am a Ford guy and since most domestic collectors are Chevy guys I don't have to worry about a shortage in Mustangs and such. But still I like the Silverados and Camaros as much as the next collector and in most cases those are next to impossible to find(unless it's that orange Fast and Furious 67 Camaro, still see those hanging). Would love to find this new '83 Silverado 4x4 in the Boulevard series but I know I am going to have to be extremely lucky to be able to find it, that thing is going to be snapped up so fast it's not funny.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The diecast hobby, to some can become an addiction like gambling. In the winter when I have lots of time on my hands and I'm bored, sometimes we drive around, shop, and I look for diecast. During the summer I'm very busy and don't have time to drive around and look for diecast....I only look for diecast in the summer when I'm actually going to a store for something, so then of course I will go to the toy isle and see if there is anything. For me, diecast hunting is actually pretty fun for me during the cold winter months. When I do buy diecast cars, I try to buy onlys that if I do ever decide to sell them, I will at least get back what I paid for them and there's always the ones that you can profit from. About 20 years ago I sold my entire diecast collection through a "Antique and collectibles" store. THe lady took 15%, which was totally fair. I marked all the cars double and triple what I paid for them. TH's were priced according to what I knew they were worth. Over a 2 year period, I sold around $20,000 through there and I bought a 1969 Chevelle SS 396. After I sold all my diecast, and had a real Hot Wheel, I lost all interest in diecast and never even bothered to look at stores for around 10 years or so. What got me back into diecast is I happened to find a Autoworld Ultra red...just because I noticed the weird red tires on it, flipped the card and read that I just found a special car. That started me back into it. Tomorrow I'm buying a 1955 Chevy 210 2 door post project car, and I'm wondering if it might make me hunt diecast less...it might. might not.

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
No, I think we all go through it at some point. lack of stock, scalpers, some employees, they are all things that make us rethink the hobby. Every time I go have a look, I see a new face going through the pegs. Young , old, male, female, doesn't matter. It sucks if they are the get rich crowd, which they won't. It's great for the hobby if they are collectors who really enjoy diecast. I find when I get in these funks, I have to really narrow my focus and think less about chase cars. I also go and look at what I already have. It kind of puts in perspective for me. I bought most diecast because they just said wow to me and those are the ones I have to focus on. Not the flavors of the week, chase cars or anything else. I can't explain it , nor do I want to. I can pick up a toy car and it can be a great experience. Not sure why. As long a I have that feeling, I will still go have a look. If it's been rifled through 20 times, doesn't matter. I just may find a treasure that has been passed over many, many times.
[/IMG]

·
Registered
131 Posts
Been waiting for 3 months for a local Dollar General to put out a case...the manager called me yesterday and said she just put out a case. I drove all the way there and it was the dreaded 2020 C case...probably the worst Hot Wheels case ever. The only thing I bought out of the whole case was the TH Grass Chomper which is almost not worth buying. I sure wish Hot Wheels would make less fantasy cars and make some cool stuff like Matchbox does.

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
It must be a regional thing. My local Dollar generals have been getting in new cases on a pretty consistent rate. The mixes vary from 2020 A to C mixes.
I've been at this now for close to 25 years and I've become a bit more selective regarding what I get.
At the start it was almost any Hot Wheel. I've eliminated collecting a lot of the fantasy castings, and some JDM castings that don't appeal to me.
Oddly I've never reached the point where the idea of not collecting has happened.
With lulls in stores getting product, like now for instance, it gives me a chance to recharge and refocus my collecting.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Same with me as well. I went from going out hunting at least once every week or 2 to just checking if I happen to be at the store. At this point I've lost most of my interest going for the new stuff as it usually gets bought out before I get there. At this point I usually save money for a month or two then head out to a flea market or collectibles shop and hunt there, speaking of which I'll hopefully get pictures up of my last haul this week.

·
Registered
618 Posts
If you are older it is normal to get burnout. And even worse when you look a little too close at what you are collecting. I do plastic models instead of Hotwheels but the idea is the same, everybody wants your stuff for nothing then you begin to think about it and the money already gone into it and age and what the hell am I doing collecting this junk? then sinks in at some point.

I get away from it and go back to doing something say on my cars that makes me enough free cash to pay the collecting habit. Then when working on the car I think I would never have been able to do this without the plastic modeling and I'm all right again. I've never paid for a car repair ever and all due to the plastic models.

Or I will build another computer for change of pace. I've got one final hotrod bike project I'd like to do before I die, sometimes I work on that.

Too much of any one thing even if the best thing in the world will drown you, one has to realize that.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Road Trip Stop

I stopped in the Hobby Shop in the town to the South of me yesterday and the Owner
said he was wasting money and time keeping the Shop open to sell Hot Wheels. Sports Cards, which
are usually his slow items, were selling better than the Hot Wheels he had on hand. There were two
guys in the shop looking through the Hot Wheels and they voiced the same sentiments as I had put
uo to start this thread- no New Hot Wheels Nothing Anywhere in the area and they said that they had
covered some territory looking yesterday. Come to think of it, I don't remember even seeing and C, D, E
or F Case release Hot Wheels anywhere here last year (2019). G cases showed up when Walmart stocked them
in late March / early April last year.
The boss wants to run up to Lexington, KY tomorrow so I will see if anything shows up there I guess.

:frown2:​

·
Administrator
826 Posts
Same here, local stores hardly have anything, and when they stock the local flea market scalper comes in and takes anything good. I sold most my collection to a local guy for about $80 last year, nothing really hard to find or anything, but I made some money.

Local Target has been stocking more this year, even have the new hot wheels ID.

·
Registered
36 Posts
One thing folks and that is HWs are made to NEVER, EVER appreciate in value. As a toy they will never become a valued collectable. Mattel makes sure of that. They were 99 cents in 1995, 99 cents in 2005 and still the same price today. If you bought HWs in the 1990 then they're still worth what HWs were bought in 2000 and 2010, and that is zilch.

They are toys to be played with or collected as eye candy. When you, as adults, are done then give them to the next generation to play with or, for example, donate them to a local charity for Christmas gift bags. Note: not even charities want loose HWs.

It is so true that you should never collect with monetary appreciation in mind.

BUT if you still want to go that route, then you need to come up with serious cash.

A 99 cents HW is still 99 cents. A $120 CMC 1/18 diecast is bidding in the mid $200 range currently on eBay. I think this is an eight year period. Newer editions of models are going for $400 !!! Even move down a scale to 1/43. About a dozen yrs ago they went for $12-20. AVERAGING $30-50 now. New editions sell for $50-80.

Naturally these are broad generalizations but I'm pretty sure you get my drift. For myself, I couldn't afford $100 for a model. That's ridiculous. Years ago I even stopped collecting 1/43 models because they were becoming to expensive.

·
Administrator
25,732 Posts
I would disagree with you on almost all your broad generalizations for 1:64 scale diecasts - even to the $0.99 HWs mainlines as way overly generalized.

I can still get them for $0.94 cents locally as the cheapest price point but at resale 90% of those casting can be had for as little as $0.50 a piece on the 2ndary market in a year or two (and sometimes even the same year.

As for the eye candy pieces they make - a > 100% return is the standard, 1000% is the mean/average and I have a few that would easily sell right now for 10,000% or more over their less than a dollar initial cost.

You should price range Maisto 1:64 castings right now....

·
Registered
639 Posts
One thing folks and that is HWs are made to NEVER, EVER appreciate in value. As a toy they will never become a valued collectable. Mattel makes sure of that. They were 99 cents in 1995, 99 cents in 2005 and still the same price today. If you bought HWs in the 1990 then they're still worth what HWs were bought in 2000 and 2010, and that is zilch.

They are toys to be played with or collected as eye candy. When you, as adults, are done then give them to the next generation to play with or, for example, donate them to a local charity for Christmas gift bags. Note: not even charities want loose HWs.

It is so true that you should never collect with monetary appreciation in mind.

BUT if you still want to go that route, then you need to come up with serious cash.

A 99 cents HW is still 99 cents. A $120 CMC 1/18 diecast is bidding in the mid $200 range currently on eBay. I think this is an eight year period. Newer editions of models are going for $400 !!! Even move down a scale to 1/43. About a dozen yrs ago they went for $12-20. AVERAGING $30-50 now. New editions sell for $50-80.

Naturally these are broad generalizations but I'm pretty sure you get my drift. For myself, I couldn't afford $100 for a model. That's ridiculous. Years ago I even stopped collecting 1/43 models because they were becoming to expensive.
Dude you know absolutely nothing about the value of Hot Wheels.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts