Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is this sled made from? I need to reference some missing parts. I'm thinking a 1951 Buick but could be way off. Any help would be great.
Bob

I may have asked before. I had it wrote down but lost it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I'm thinking you're pretty close to on the money Bob. Three portholes would make it a special (4 for a super).

Here's an image borrowed from the web of a '51 Buick special two door:

Here's a '50 Buick, but it is a Super / Roadmaster Riviera, top of the line, definitely not the So Fine but ok for reference:

Definitely not a '52:

Again a Super Riviera (Riviera was a trim level back then), I think we can dismiss a '49 Buick:

So I'm thinking either '50 0r '51.

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I was thinking a '51. A friend of mine at work gave me this casting to "do something with it". Half of the front bumper and grill is missing. That Roadmaster is just awesome!!! I'm thinking making a yard find out of it. A little bad but fixable. All of that chrome in the front kind of through me!
I wasnt born until '59 but I would drive these cars every day!!!

·
Registered
674 Posts
No probs. The more I look, the more I like the old Buicks. One of my faves is the 1957 Buick Super Riviera 2 door. Sweet ride, especially with a continental kit in the rear. Too bad the real ones were prone to front end suspension troubles...very expensive to fix, 1 year only. One I've seen in a car show the guy took the old body and mounted on a '72 station wagon chassis to solve that problem.

·
Registered
674 Posts
OK, since we're playing this game, what do you suppose the inspiration is for the Tail Dragger?

I am thinking it is a mid-'40's Ford, but I'm having a hard time making out the grill / front.

Hot Wheels wikia credits Phil Rheilman and "Ford Deluxe Coupe 1941." Sure doesn't look like a '41 Ford to me.

Then again, maybe...:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hey, this is fun!

OK, another one I like is the Super Smooth.

Wikia credits Alec Tam and "1939 GMC pickup."

Let's look:

Ummm, in my opinion, that full on custom doesn't look at all like the stock or mild custom '39 GMC.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
That pic of the '41 sure has the grille of the Tail Dragger and I can see stock GMC in the custom pic. They just chromed the "wing" pieces on either side of the grille.

·
Registered
674 Posts
No probs. I was looking at the 1:1 Super Smooth and it doesn't really look like a '39 pickup to me. I only see a faint resemblence at the chopped roof of the cab and windshield. The fenders look more like Hudson fenders if they are even truck fenders at all. The grill is completely different. The bed is pretty obviously scratch built. There is very little if any to indicate it started life as a '39 GMC if all I have to compare with are the other two pics of the stock and mild custom.

My opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts