Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm digging thru my many, many boxes of papers, sorting out various fandom history material, having a bit of tripping down memory lane when I found a packet of mail from Paul Newitt. Some of it was the different communications regarding the long time publishing of Star Fleet Assembly Manual 4 but one caught my eye, a solicitation for a series of fanzines called the Federation Reference Series. It was to have all that stuff that gets buried in boxes at Paramount, all the developmental stuff of the Refit Enterprise and all manner of other things. Basically (in hindsight) it looked like a way to get a bunch of Andy Probert's stuff out to the fans that would appreciate it.

This was around the middle of 1984.

Now, as I figure that Mr. Probert could probably publish a 400 page coffeetable book on ST:TMP, I would have LOVED to have subscribed to Paul's 'zine, but 1984 was one of my 'down' years moneywise. So I never subscribed.

(and while Paramount probably wouldn't allow it, I'd dearly love for that big ass book to come out. There IS a market for something like that, all the sketches, the roughs, the process of refining, blah blah)

I know there's a bunch of old school Trekfans here who were scooping up anything and everything that came out back then. I know I was buying my fair share of blueprints. :) Any of you folk jump on this? Did it happen or was it collateral damage to the problems Paul kept having back then. Man, I have to hand it to him, he never gave up and he DID deliver that SFAM 4.

Anyone?

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Why, yes, I do believe those are the 'zines under discussion! Well done and thank you!

Man, sure shows how under the thrall of the Tech Manual we all were back in the day! I can't look at that Phaser page without cringing about how flat out WRONG it was, even if the actual drawing was more 'prop accurate' than FJ's work. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts