Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Cal Diecast BBQ / Car show pics...what a beautiful day! Every year we throw an 'End of Summer BBQ' at my place and invite people from many different and mixed backgrounds. This year there were a lot of Diecast folks. Man…the food and drink :cheers

First I really have to thank our very own Cadillac Pat for overnighting these wonderful and unexpected customs to give to our guests!!! Pat did a fantastic job on these and our guest just loved them! Pat, I owe you big time!!

Thanks also to Sleepercivic (Rich) for making the Name Tags. That’s two years in a row!

We had some guest come from as far as Japan to attend!!! Second year in a row for Shinj (with his two friends). Thanks for the nice gifts Shinj...a set of Tomica "CARS". Notice the variation in the eyes.

Eric and Jada toys...thanks for the Jada Gas Pump 5 packs! Eric…please tell your wife that the egg rolls were a huge hit as always!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Eric and Jada toys...thanks for the Jada Gas Pump 5 packs! Eric…please tell your wife that the egg rolls were a huge hit as always!

Now the cars....
Larry Wood brought his 1932 Nash. He built the custom drive train...and the Chevy 454 rat motor.

Serge (Big Roach) and his lovely wife brought the Jada Toys Scion tC.

Big Lou's incredible Magnum!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is Ed's one of only 14 ever built 1971 Hemi Cuda Verts. Yeah...the $2,000,000 car.

and some more!

Some guys...Larry Wood (Hot Wheels), Eric T. (Johnny Lightning/RC2), me the geek, Jun Imai (HW Designer) and Bob Rosa (Mattel Head Engineer 1972-1988)

These old school guys are trying to scope out some of the Jada cars I had on display

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bob Rosa brought some of the rarest and most desirable redline hand painted prototypes form the 1970's. The old school guys went crazy seeing this one-of-a-kind stuff! My guess...at least $50,000 worth of toys here.

Ah...and the Jada crew...from left to right...Bill (VP of Sales) with his better half to the right of him, Eric the 'Turk' and his sister in law, and his beautiful wife...then Serge's better half and Serge (the talent behind the Jada Packaging)

Pat (Jada's licensing and all around nice guys) my daughter Erin and Big Lou (Luis Tanahara IMHO the most influential guy in diecast in the 21 century).

A group shot of "Castro" (Maisto Designer), Eric the Turk, Kahuna Kev and Roach partying

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The Jada crew brought along some gifts and tee shirts for the guest. Now...there were about thirty hardcore Redline collectors and they were grabbing hard! Kev showing Larry Wood the goods...

Serge and KEV getting mobbed by the old schoolers....

The band...Birddogs. The Sheriff's came twice but didn't shut us down this year!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
DaCustomizer...the tC has only the Vertical Door kit and graphic wrap. I think the doors were about $2,000, the wrap was $1,500 or so...but they're sponsored.

The Magnum is currently for sale for $60,000...and that's about what it cost to build including the car. The cars been to SEMA, LA Autoshow and um...my house ;)

Here is what the interior looks like (photos by Scott Jones)....

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Roy,great pics!!:thumbsup:

Please forgive my ignorance but are you one of the diecast elite?

I have heard your name but wonder where you fit in, with these diecast superheros?

please take no offense,it looks like an exclusive party and I am sure you hold the same badge of honor.

please enlighten me.:wave:

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RobDog, I’m not sure if I understand what you’re referring to by the term “Diecast Elite”…so obviously I’m not one. I have collected diecast toy cars for over 35 years and collect many different manufactures. In that 35 years I’ve meet many collectors and have establish many friendships around the country.

One of the fortunate benefits in living in Southern California is that there are many Toy Companies close by. Many of the representatives of these toy companies are available at local toy shows and trade shows. I simply have asked them if they would like to attend a BBQ and some gracefully accept. There’s nothing exclusive about it other than they share the same passion for Diecast cars as we collectors do.

“Eric T” from Johnny Lightning/RC2 is a great example. I attended the DCX diecast expo earlier this year and meet Eric T at the JL/Foose booth. After a brief discussion about his product I offered him an open invitation to our next BBQ and he gracefully accepted. As far as being invited to the BBQ…I simply ask people if they would like to attend. So...I'm just an average collector that loves to party :)

·
Lookout the Mac is Back!!
8,413 Posts
Roy

Why do you say that Big Lou (Luis Tanahara) is the biggest influence in diecast pn the 21st Century? I have to say, I have never heard of him....

Party looks like it was a great time, wish I could have been there...

Rob

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Rob...there are many good designers. You may have never heard of him but you see his influence in ALL of the current US 1/64 offerings (except JLs and other companies that only do accurate replicas). This is a topic that purely subjective so it's mute to go any further...it's just my opinion.

·
Lookout the Mac is Back!!
8,413 Posts
Roy Nakamura said:
Rob...there are many good designers. You may have never heard of him but you see his influence in ALL of the current US 1/64 offerings (except JLs and other companies that only do accurate replicas). This is a topic that purely subjective so it's mute to go any further...it's just my opinion.

Roy

No, exactly what I wanted was your opinion. So he has had a great influence on the JADA type cars? The ones that are actually a little larger than 1/64? Kind of the Larry Wood if you will of that style? Does he work for one of the companies or did? Free lance? I would seriously like to have some additional information about him. I find it interesting what and how these designers started and came up with their original ideas.

Thanks

Rob

1 - 20 of 31 Posts