Hobbyist Forums banner

101 - 120 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 · (Edited)
It happened

Well, tonight I was finishing up the decals... it was just not going right. No matter what I did, I could not get the decals to lay down and I ended up with a torn up, large mess. Fixed them the best I could, chalked it up to lessons learned, sprayed 1/2 can of gloss on the mess and moved out smartly. :drunk:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Thanks Ace, agree Micro Scale is the way to go. Used the product for a number of years. Just one of those rare times the decals would not cooperate no matter what trick used. They look better after drying for 12 hrs.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Decals part deux

DecalFix was the answer! Now I just need to fix the red center...

I scored a set of WWII decals that was close, just need paint the centers.
And we are off!

·
Registered
132 Posts
What decals did you do on this. I've got one of these to restore - and after seeing what you did - I might follow your lead. Really well done :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Early in this thread I posted a high res pic of the original snoopy decals if you want to print a copy of those on decal film. I found another Academy Sopwith for $5 at a show that still had the decals, which I will use to fix my error. The decals that I was going to use were just general WWII Brit I thought could pass for WWI with a little painting. My local hobby shop also has dry transfers for RC planes that might work. Few ideas to think about.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I was referring to the aircraft decals - not the original Snoopy decals. Got it that you used an Academy Sopwith decals. I'm assuming 1/32?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 · (Edited)
Thanks Boxie, almost done. Snoopy is back on the bench this weekend.

Geh737, yes Sir, I did use the 1/32 Academy Sopwith decals. After my decal mishap I lucked out finding replacement decals at Nordicon, MRC customer service was zero help.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 · (Edited)
Watch out Red Baron!

After three years of this thread I am nearly complete on Snoopy's Sopwith Camel.

Added the final touches tonight. New decals are in place, weathering added and cables glued down. Few touch-ups here and there and the Sopwith will be ready for inspection. I will post my final pictures and thoughts on the build next week so stand by! :wave:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Really nice re-work of this kit. Like many, I had one as a kid, and I've got one in the "re-build" pile. What you did was an interesting inspiration :)

George

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Few last words & picture heavy...

Say it isn’t so. Snoopy is complete.

Three years and five months ago when I started this thread, I intended for this build to go quick but life often gets in the way of my model building. So as a close out, I thought I would produce a quick After Action Review (AAR) for those who are considering a Snoopy Sopwith Camel build or in my case, bash.

The plan: I started with a new Snoopy kit I bought off of eBay years ago with the idea of building it bone stock. After reading some of the ideas of other builders, I decided to bash Snoopy with an Academy Sopwith Camel F1 1/32. I wanted more detail the Monogram kit just did not provide.

What was supposed to happen: All the parts and paint would flow flawlessly together into an IPMS award winning model.

What actually happened: The first problem I ran into with the Monogram kit was age. The plastic of the Snoopy kit requires a lot of work. As a general rule, the kit needs to be scrubbed with Dawn and hit with 600 wet sand. Also using a promoter on the kit is mandatory or your paint will chip off. Plan at this point going over the kit filling in all the errors from poor molds. Bashing the machine gun pits from the Academy kit to the Monogram kit did require some work (see pictures at the beginning of the thread) to get the cowl to line up. If you want more details from the Vickers, consider using the Gas Patch 1/32 machine guns.

Along the way I did end up making changes like using and fixing the tail from the Snoopy kit instead of the Academy kit (made the tail longer by adding filler and rounded the bottom out), using the Monogram guns, etc. I did some scratch building but nothing unusual. Mostly reinforcement of the landing gear and the access panels on the side of the cowl.

How I would have changed my plan:
1) I would have planned my rigging better.
2) The Academy decals on the top wing ended up a mess and I had to start over. I used Micro Set on the first decals applied but they just would not stretch and bubbled up. I found new decals and applied Humbrol Decalfix on the second run. It is a much better product and will use from now on my models. (A word of caution: if you are using decals printed via Testors decal paper, do not use Humbrol Decalfix. Use the Micro Set products which are not as strong.) I did turn to MRC to try to buy another set of decals for the Academy Sopwith and quickly became discouraged with the customer service. I did end up finding at set at a local show otherwise I would have turned to eBay for decals. Makes me appreciate Polar Lights Customer Care even more.
3) I would have cut out the flaps on the tail and wings and given more details to flight controls.

One note about the weathering on the Sopwith: I did a fair amount of research on the Sopwith before I started and while building. I had the opportunity to speak with the great people at the Boeing Museum about construction methods prior and during WWI plus care of aircraft in the field. Basically aircraft in WWI were used to the limit, flown until they burned or crashed; repaired with cloth, thread, glue and nails then sent back up. Unlike aircraft today that are washed and cared for on a regular basis in a clean hanger, these planes were outside in all kinds of weather. I wanted to capture a Sopwith (ok, yes, in this case a cartoon plane) in late 1917 with a pilot (a dog) returning after the dog fight (no pun intended) of his life. It might look heavy handed on the dirt side but anyone who has served with a ground force knows the minute you leave garrison for the field equipment doesn’t stay clean long.

Hope you have enjoyed this thread as much as I have building Snoopy’s Sopwith Camel.

- Chad

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
P.s.

Reminder: If anyone is missing the machine guns for the original Monogram model, I still have 3 sets that Auroranut made. These are free, they need some cleaning up but will do the trick. PM me if you need a set.

Thanks, Chad

101 - 120 of 127 Posts