Yesterday I saw a few places were I need to sand once I moved to brighter light (need to work on my shop lights). Also added a reinforcement plate to build up where landing struts will be attached. Started to attach wing struts from Academy Sopwith kit.
The Sopwith is back on the bench with a painting update. I did have a hard time scaling the wood to the aircraft (covered by tape - pictures in next update) but I think it turned out okay. Still finding pesky flaws in the plastic and filling those with Mr. Surface 500 and lightly sanding with 600 & 1000.
As promised, more pictures after today's masking and painting. My cowl colors don't match but I think after I tame the main down with dull, it will be very close. Plus I am sure during WWI paint seldom matched. Spot painting tomorrow then let it dry for a few days.
Not sure if I will have time this weekend for building so I took some time tonight to finish off my spot painting around the fuselage (lack of better term) and wing struts. I also finished up the oil wash on the plywood where the landing struts will attach, not quite where I want it but getting close. I have started the decal process - so far so good. I do have a "chip" in one of the decals applied but a little paint will fix. Few water spots to clean up I see from the pictures!
Next I will focus on the cockpit then the landing gear and struts. I need to smooth out and age the leather around the rim of the cockpit. Pressing on!
- Finished off the landing gear (STILL messing with tires )
- Repainted cowl to match red paint
- Finished plywood bottom above landing gear
- Starting to weather & chip plus clean up putty areas, with of course, more putty
- finished cockpit and leather around opening
Need to finish weathering, guns, gas cap and top wing
So at this point weathering is done on the main body of the model. I need to touch up my paint near the tail but can use a dry brush to fix my error. Also my transition from plywood to main body, well, sucks. Not happy with my putty job but it will have to stand. Coulda, woulda, shoulda...
Basically I used a mix of burnt umber & spirits as a wash to highlight lines on the top of the wing and tail. Dark earth wash on the bottom of the wing. I cleaned up with a Q-tip & thinner after the final wash - finishing off with a few dry pastels.
I do like the wheels better but my work horse Paasche VL just can't get down to the fine mist I needed. The VL has never failed me with my larger models but as I start to do more figures and 1/35 scale tanks, I will need a finer tipped airbrush.
Snoopy is now flying this bird - better get the cowl, guns & top wing done!
Yes, have a few ideas for rigging... something simple but will get the point across.
I do have .030 styrene but not sure how easy it would be to glue at each point.
I am leaning toward using the rigging from the Academy bash kit.