Hobbyist Forums banner

81 - 100 of 126 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
I dragged (Drugged? Drooged? Drug? Durg? :freak:) the other thread up about the possibility of a re-issue.....
sorry about the Hijack Stryker :)

Denis

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
I am glad you did Denis. My thread is more about my 3 year battle to finish the Snoopy kit :rolleyes: Seems life gets in the way...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Labor Day Update

Yesterday I saw a few places were I need to sand once I moved to brighter light (need to work on my shop lights). Also added a reinforcement plate to build up where landing struts will be attached. Started to attach wing struts from Academy Sopwith kit.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Looking spectacular! -- Keep on it, get'r done. You're so close, you can have this wrapped up by years end. Make sure you keep us updated.

·
Curmudgeon
6,624 Posts
I love that dog house base! It looks like an old, weather-beaten, disused barn. And I know I've mentioned this before, but that propeller is beautiful!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
The Sopwith is back on the bench with a painting update. I did have a hard time scaling the wood to the aircraft (covered by tape - pictures in next update) but I think it turned out okay. Still finding pesky flaws in the plastic and filling those with Mr. Surface 500 and lightly sanding with 600 & 1000.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Stryker, you are giving Snoopy a whole new look. I can almost hear The Royal Guardsmen singing his song. Well done sir, well done indeed.

Don

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
And more painting...

As promised, more pictures after today's masking and painting. My cowl colors don't match but I think after I tame the main down with dull, it will be very close. Plus I am sure during WWI paint seldom matched. Spot painting tomorrow then let it dry for a few days.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 · (Edited)
Few mid-week pictures

Not sure if I will have time this weekend for building so I took some time tonight to finish off my spot painting around the fuselage (lack of better term) and wing struts. I also finished up the oil wash on the plywood where the landing struts will attach, not quite where I want it but getting close. I have started the decal process - so far so good. I do have a "chip" in one of the decals applied but a little paint will fix. Few water spots to clean up I see from the pictures!

Next I will focus on the cockpit then the landing gear and struts. I need to smooth out and age the leather around the rim of the cockpit. Pressing on!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 · (Edited)
Here is your quick Snoopy update for 4 Oct 15:

- Finished off the landing gear (STILL messing with tires :()
- Repainted cowl to match red paint
- Finished plywood bottom above landing gear
- Starting to weather & chip plus clean up putty areas, with of course, more putty
- finished cockpit and leather around opening

Need to finish weathering, guns, gas cap and top wing
Enjoy!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Weathering a beagle...

So at this point weathering is done on the main body of the model. I need to touch up my paint near the tail but can use a dry brush to fix my error. Also my transition from plywood to main body, well, sucks. Not happy with my putty job but it will have to stand. Coulda, woulda, shoulda...

Basically I used a mix of burnt umber & spirits as a wash to highlight lines on the top of the wing and tail. Dark earth wash on the bottom of the wing. I cleaned up with a Q-tip & thinner after the final wash - finishing off with a few dry pastels.

I do like the wheels better but my work horse Paasche VL just can't get down to the fine mist I needed. The VL has never failed me with my larger models but as I start to do more figures and 1/35 scale tanks, I will need a finer tipped airbrush.

Snoopy is now flying this bird - better get the cowl, guns & top wing done!

First wash:

Done. Second wash and pastels:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 · (Edited)
Guns up!

:freak: After much mashing of teeth and waving of arms, I finally have a version of Vickers I like. Now the Sopwith is dangerous.

Tamiya Matt Black with Lucky Line graphite powder as a top coat.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 · (Edited)
Yes, have a few ideas for rigging... something simple but will get the point across.
I do have .030 styrene but not sure how easy it would be to glue at each point.
I am leaning toward using the rigging from the Academy bash kit.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Sunday is wing day

Guns are mounted and ready to go!

Painted the top and bottom of the bi-wing. Added weathering to bottom side of wing.

Once the top wing is glued and decals attached, I will finish out the weathering. I am repainting the tail and adding rigging. All for now.

81 - 100 of 126 Posts