Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago I found a NIB Snoopy Sopwith Camel :). I loved the model as a kid but this time I want to do it right with a few upgrades this time around. So if you had a second shot to build this kit again, what upgrades would you make?

I have a few ideas rolling around but I'm interested in what the group has to say!

Thanks, Chad

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Its quite a vintage and collectible kit. It's pretty cool in itself too. I think I would build it OOTB. I had one as a kid circa 1970

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
I'm with dj on this, stryk'. If you put all the experience you can into an out of box build of this model, it will be completely different than the Snoopy you finished years ago. You may find another one in the future that you could customize.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Never understood why the Snoopy kits have never been reissued, they seemed to be a big success for Monogram at the time, and probably started more than a few kids on model building. The Schultz estate certainly doesn't seem adverse to licensing for just about anything, I wouldn't think it'd be an issue.

I still have my Snoopy/Woodstock Hockey Rink, even though it's in pieces...gotta see if I can restore it someday!

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
I'd love to see the Monogram snaptite Snoopy kits reissued!
I built the Red Baron many many moons ago and would enjoy building it and all the others.
If it were my kit I'd build it OOB but that's just me....

Chris.:)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
1) I saw a Snoppy kit with the wings painted like real wood. It added a lot.

2) I asked my neighbor who's an exec at Revell about reissuing the Snoopy kits. They would love to but the Schultz estate no longer approves new product. I replied it's not new but a reissue. He said they would try. This conversation was at least two years ago.

Revell is very cautious about figure kits. They said royalties are very high and have to be paid in full upfront.

I'll ask him if i can post his email address so he can see there is a demand for Snoopy kits. Ten years ago he said no more than 200 people would buy reissues of vintage figure kits. But I think Polar Lights and Moebius shows them proof there is a following.

·
Curmudgeon
6,614 Posts
So if you had a second shot to build this kit again, what upgrades would you make?
This time around I'd take the time to fill the seams and paint it. :lol:

If the Snoopy and Red Baron kits ever get reissued, I'd probably try to paint the airplanes with semi-accurate WWI liveries and maybe do a little extra detailing. If I got my hands on original issues, I'd build 'em out of the box and paint 'em the colors they're supposed to be.

·
Banned
1,657 Posts
A trick I found when I was a kid with this model is if the motor won't start, put the battery in backwards and spin the prop backwards a few times until it starts. Take the battery back out and place it in right and it will then start with no problem.
I recently helped a friend restore one of these models and we could not get the motor to run, out of desperation we put a few drops of Rail Zip, a model railroad track cleaner in the motor and after sitting overnight it started and still runs just fine.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys for the input on the model. I will post a few pictures of the kit and will update the thread when building starts. Should be alot of fun! As requested, I will scan the instruction sheet and other paper items in the box.
:D

·
Banned
286 Posts
1) I saw a Snoppy kit with the wings painted like real wood. It added a lot.

2) I asked my neighbor who's an exec at Revell about reissuing the Snoopy kits. They would love to but the Schultz estate no longer approves new product. I replied it's not new but a reissue. He said they would try. This conversation was at least two years ago.

Revell is very cautious about figure kits. They said royalties are very high and have to be paid in full upfront.

I'll ask him if i can post his email address so he can see there is a demand for Snoopy kits. Ten years ago he said no more than 200 people would buy reissues of vintage figure kits. But I think Polar Lights and Moebius shows them proof there is a following.
I'd be interested in repro kits. I had the Snoopy and Woodstock on a motorcycle kit. Fun stuff.

Sean

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
I have this kit but the guns are missing.. :(

MMM
Bob, if you can locate a set of guns on loan I can cast them up for you gratis. I hate seeing almost complete rare kits sitting in their boxes for the lack of a small part or 2...

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
The Snoopy Joe Cool kit is very impressive. The surfboard seesaws and a gear spins Snoopy around with his ears flapping.

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Bob, if you can locate a set of guns on loan I can cast them up for you gratis. I hate seeing almost complete rare kits sitting in their boxes for the lack of a small part or 2...

Chris,
I've been searching and searching for these missing guns...I thought Frank Winspur had told me he had a spare gun he was going to send me but he has been very busy manufacturing these great kits lately so no luck at all.
If anyone is willing to help and cast 2 of them for me...I'd greatly appreciate it!

MMM

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Once I open the kit, I am sure we can work something out. Maybe I can send a mold of the guns???? Wonder if Snoopy could be recast... This would be a new project to try out!

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Stryker, I know I'm in Oz, but I've cast parts guys have loaned each other and sent to me from the USA. I've never lost a part. It's also a totally free service with no catches.
The guys here can (hopefully) vouch for the quality of my parts and I'd be happy to help out if I can...you can PM me if you like...

1 - 20 of 118 Posts