Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
HobbyTalk Pro
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SMC Factory Spec

"Factory Spec" is a new line of high performance packs that use the factory specified values for C rate and capacity.

As with all SMC batteries, these packs are manufactured by factories which are known for supplying high performance, reliability, and quality.

6570-2S2P In stock now only 59.95 on special.

6570-2S2PT In stock now only 59.95 on special.

6570-4S2P In stock now only 114.95 on special.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Same mAh and same low IR just using the specs provided by the factory. It's a shame that the market wasn't/isn't ready for a standard method for C rate but at the end of the day we need to sell as many packs as possible in a messed up market.
Does that mean the premium certified line are discontinued?

·
HobbyTalk Pro
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes as sales were low. Hard to stock packs that don't sell well especially when you know there as good if not better than any other pack on the market and priced lower. Still happy I tried to use a real standard and it gave me the chance to give good info about the battery market.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Getting ready to put a brushless 1/8 scale buggy or truggy together over the winter. That 4s is exactly what I'm looking for.

·
HobbyTalk Pro
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Factory Spec 7200-70C

Introducing the new 7200mAh 70C 2S Hardcase pack. Early testing is showing similar voltage curve upfront compared to the 6500-70C. As you get deeper into the voltage curve the 7200 will have slightly more voltage. Available as inboard style or wired with Traxxas or Deans. This model is ROAR legal.

You can see the difference at 35 amps on the graph below.

7270-2S2P Factory Spec 7200mAh 70C 2S inboard 4mm tubes. Introductory special 69.95

7270-2S2PT Factory Spec 7200mAh 70C 2S wired Traxxas. Introductory special 69.95

Factory Spec 6500mAh 70C 2S is back in stock and ROAR legal. Introductory special still available 59.95

Attachments

·
HobbyTalk Pro
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Factory Spec 7000-70C-1S

We received a small shipment of our new Factory Spec 7000mAh 70C 1S packs.

This first batch is 300-400mAh lower than expected. The IR and voltage is as expected. Were offering this batch of packs at a special discount price of 44.95 while supplies last.

http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_78&product_id=65

My employee tested 2 random packs as shipped from the factory with storage charge on the GFX at 12 amp charge with the voltage set at 4.22v per cell. The room was on the warm side so numbers may be a bit better than what some of you will actually get.

Pack 1: 6620 - 3.74 - 2.0

Pack 2: 6669 - 3.75 - 1.9

Second shipment with higher mAh packs will be in early next week. The price will be 59.95 for these.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Yes as sales were low. Hard to stock packs that don't sell well especially when you know there as good if not better than any other pack on the market and priced lower. Still happy I tried to use a real standard and it gave me the chance to give good info about the battery market.
I applaud you for trying to get the Lipo battery market back to an honest
business. Way too many manufacturers just slapping labels on cells.
Most don't really understand the C ratings and if the label says 100C then
they'll buy it and pay a premium price.
Ever thought of printing a voltage / IR label with the average voltage
of 300 sec's at 35-40 amps ? But then you just said that the premium packs
didn't sell.

·
HobbyTalk Pro
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So much marketing and BS it's a shame that customers get taken advantage of like this. I gave it my best shot to try and get customers to see that C ratings are a joke and used for sales purposes. To me the IR of the pack is the real thing customers should consider when looking for better packs combined with the formulation used in the cells. Some formulations offer low IR but the mAh drops off fast so this lowers the voltage curve. Also seen some formulations with good IR but it increases faster over the cycle life. This is why I so cycle life testing on all models we offer to make sure they meet my standards.

As far as printing IR or voltage on the packs this is hard to do as it all depends on the room and pack temperature. This would also increase the price some as we would need to cycle all packs. When testing packs from the same batch they normally are very similar as far as IR and voltage goes with a slight fluctuation in mAh.

Will have a new battery dyno soon that I hope will show us RPM readings for different models as this should be easier for the customers to understand than IR and voltage. You will see that a 5000 pack will provide less RPM than a 6500.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Think about it ,,,,,

When the competition is marketing batteries at 6900mah /100c thats
an amperage rating of 690 AMPS !!

How foolish do they think we are ? The battery that starts your truck
you drive to the track is probably only 500-600 amps.

You couldn't get 690 amps for a dead-short micro second. :(:(:(

Plus the best 12 gauge wire can probably only handle 100 amps for a
few seconds.

The bottom line guys , this is marketing at it's absolute worst !!!

Don't support companies that are just trying to rip you off.

Sorry for the rampage ,,,,,, just my opinion :thumbsup:

·
HobbyTalk Pro
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Great post and I hope customers can better understand how ridiculous all these claims are. What's sad is that I tried using a real standard and real ratings but packs weren't selling with real data. So now I use the specs that factories claim and sales are good.

How about selling a pack as 6500-65C then releasing the exact same pack as 6900-100C ?

Our 7200-70C is a different pack than the 6500-70C. New formulation using new materials. Personally I'm not sure it will make a big difference on the track but the voltage curve is a bit better.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just so you know my Certified packs are still running strong. Finished 10th in the invite 17.5 race held last weekend at Norcal Hobbies. I'll be keeping these bad boys with me and will be ordering other packs closer to a big race. Thanks for trying to open peoples eyes on the "C" rating saga going on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
factory spec 1s 7000

just got 2 from smc today and the ir sucks both are at 14...no more smc'sa for me or my crew, cant answer the phone or return a call either.....wtf happend to their customer service

1 - 20 of 30 Posts