Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Geico ad . . . Offensive?
6,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sitting here and wondering what would be the smallest can motor assembly out there? What application would it be in and would it be adaptable to slot cars?

I was thinking N or Z-scale model train engines would need to be pretty small but I can't seem to find any sources online to even view one.

The reason I am wondering is because I always wanted to try an accurately sized HO sprint car or other open-wheeler with a really narrow chassis.

??????????????????

'doba

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Dont quote me 'Doba, but I'm thinking that the train motors are engineered (no pun inteneded) more for torque than top end. I'm just lookin' down the track. Maybe they would work due to the fact that they wont be required to haul a bunch of freight, and you'll gain some R's. Heck might not even come into play on a short track where torque is the ticket.

If I come across an N guage loco, I'll be sure and kill it, skin it, and let you know! Great concept 'Doba. It would really open some doors.

Bill

·
Registered
279 Posts
I looked into the same thing about a year age...

The Wingmaster sprint from HO Racepro uses a KATO n-scale train motor,and a GMP 1/50th scale diecast car.
When I started looking for one I soon learned that KATO is like the top of the line in n-scale trains and $alty!
So I built my own wingmaster style car powered by a lifelike T Chassis motor.

The wingmaster is a 1/50th scale... I wanted to build a smaller one out of a 1/64th scale diecast car... that led to zip-zap motors.

I used the monster truck sized motor it runs pretty good on an 18 volt lifelike pack... but don't know for how long yet?

The tiny ones for zip-zap cars will really scream for about 3 seconds on the same pack... :eek: They will need some kind of voltage regulator or voltage dropping diode because they were made to run on like 2 volts.
Radio shack has a 5 volt regulator but it's bigger than the motor .

I think the little motors were first made for use in pagers and cell phones to make them vibrate.

ZIG

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
You could always try turning a can motor up on its side if you need it narrower. Might create some height problems, but its an idea, anyway. OR, if you can score some fairly cheap, didnt the tyco motorcycles use some kind of narrow can motor? Never seen one up close.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I used to dabble with Zip Zaps and those types of micro RC cars 4-5 years ago. Radio Shack used to offer a hop up engine kit that included a motor known as the "NOS" (nitrous Oxide) motor. That motor was tiny, but powerful......in fact all of those little can motors were extremely small.

You'd definately have to design or build the car with the proper resistors or etc. ....otherwise these tiny motors would just nuke.

·
Registered
807 Posts
small

The smallest I dabbled a bit in was the LifeLike Tchassis can motor.
I have actually layed 1 flat in a JL tjet chassis. A little grindin here,cuttin there,and some tweeken and gear play to get it to line up. But presto.It fits :thumbsup:
As TX said the zap motors are to small for the power.It would be like 3mile Island on 18 volts. Nuculer meltdown.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I have some old Z-Scale trains, pretty small in width but the arms are pretty long. These are some huge torque motors, not too much on speed. But the Zip zap motors are really durable, I've run the monster trucks on 9 volts before using aftermarket radio boards, talk about insane power and the Stage 2 motors will handle it if you can still find them.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
gear buster said:
The smallest I dabbled a bit in was the LifeLike Tchassis can motor.
I have actually layed 1 flat in a JL tjet chassis. A little grindin here,cuttin there,and some tweeken and gear play to get it to line up. But presto.It fits :thumbsup:
Do you have a picture of that chassis? I would like to see it....

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I think you'd have to rewind those Zip Zap arms with heavier wire for 18v operation. Could be an interesting experiment. :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Slott V said:
I think you'd have to rewind those Zip Zap arms with heavier wire for 18v operation. Could be an interesting experiment. :)
The one that I ran for about 3 seconds before it went POOF was disected,
It has no comutator brushes just wire springs to get the power to the com.

The com was OK... the little wire springs are what burned up!

I don't know if the bigger zip-zap motor for monster trucks has brushes or not, havn't disected one yet. But it really does run on 18 volts :thumbsup:

ZIG

·
Registered
279 Posts
Kato Gm5

Here is a KATO GM5 motor from an N Scale Train...

It probably is the smallest can motor that can handle the volts or HO Racepro wouldn't be using it in the Wingmaster Sprint.

A lifelike T motor set on it's side will fit into the same 1/50th scale diecast car and probably turn a lot more RPM's

Zig

·
Registered
807 Posts
can motor

Will post a pic tom.of the chassis. Need to get a clear shot ..

This way the elders don't got blind trying to see the pic.
ok where did the screen go:freak:

·
Registered
120 Posts
here's sumpun i stuck up here a while back,look in round 2/auto world pg6;"suggestion for tom lowe racing car release"page 3,#43.the chassis is a p-cicle stick and yes it runs!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts