Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I get SMALL led strip lights?

I have heard some in reference to the Moebious 1/8th EVA Pod and would like to know where I can order them.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Fluke :grin2:

·
Administrator
27,105 Posts
You might find more resources if you searched for micro led light/stripes instead. But will have to put together the same content that the pre packaged kits already have in them.

:cheers2:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I ordered some USB powered 1 meter LED strips to light my Discovery and Pod. I found you can cut them apart and with a dab of flux get a good solder bond with some wire between the pieces. They're even conveniently marked with the + and - so you don't screw up the polarity. I tested some using some seriously thin magnet winding wire (36 gauge?) and it worked out really well.

Much easier than fiddling around with getting the resistors in place, making sure the polarity of the LED is right, figuring out how to mount them, etc.

Those teeny strips look interesting, but man - trying to cut up and re-solder those would stretch the eyeballs!

Oh, you also would be better off searching on Aliexpress - it's the retail version to Alibaba's wholesale. You can buy individual bits and not have to buy in lot size.

Kev

·
Registered
789 Posts
The strips I referenced are not flexible, the leds are mounted on a pcb.

They are sold as a replacement for ccfl tubes for computer moding, and as backlights for LCD monitors and tvs. They can be cut every 3rd led, and should be able to be soldered, however I do wonder if there is going to be a problem with heat on that small a board( yes leds do give off a tiny amount of heat as well as their resistors).

Anyway we will find out as my company and I have placed an order for samples of them and product from 2 other manufactures. Look for a review in the near future.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those could work for other sci fi projects for certain and I like the idea that they are low voltage. Thanks ! :grin2:

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After receiving my Moebius EVA POD :grin2: I found there is a lot more room for 3mm leds lighting than I thought WOW! so the few led strip lights I have in stock will work perfect for the couple tight spots the kit dose have.

Build on Garth....putty on Wayne!

·
Banned
13 Posts
I prefer soft LED strips because they can be made into different shapes and are not easy to break

1 - 9 of 9 Posts