Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my girlfriend was wiped after school today, she bailed on our Halloween goings on, and I was bored. I remembered that I mentioned having a large slotcar collection with a substantial value when I set up my renters insurance policy. I made sure it'd be covered in case something happened, but they mentioned Id need proof. So since I was bored tonite thanks to my snoozing ladyfriend, I took the time to take photos of my entire collection so that if the [email protected]!+ hit the fan, Id have some verifiable proof that I have what I say I have. I have a LOT of bones tied up in my collection, so you guys who havent thought of this should definitely make note of it. Ive only heard one or two isolated cases of theft out there, but thats 1 or 2 too many. Since I have all the pics on my computer and on photobucket so I figured Id share.

I might just have WAY too many slotcars! Oh and luckily, the other northwestern riffraff out there *staring at Bill and Jerry* dont know my exact location! Still, I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a kermit green porsche or white ford p/u covered in peace signs prowling around my area! ha!

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Riff raff!!! We resemble that remark!

Always a good idea....updating yer coverage to include yer slots...and keeping yer eyes peeled for roaming bands of Washingtonians.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Silverstreaks and glow in the dark cars:

Oddball makes (Marchon, Ideal, Matchbox)

Pop culture cars, movie/TV cars, 80's tie in cars:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ideal TCR:

Box-O-custom cars:

Box-O-Slotcars #1

Box-O-Slotcars #2

Box-O-Slotcars #3

Box-O-Slotcars #4--just gettin started

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Box-O-spare chassis:

...And I just realized I have a ZAG box full of chassis parts, a small tackle box full of wheels, tools, tires, axles and tiny parts, a small box packed full of bodies, several smaller organizers with works in progress, custom bodies, experimental chassis, chrome and glass parts, and the top of my workbench is COVERED in cars that Ive painted right before the cold weather and are waiting to be finished! None of which is in photos. Obsession....I think not!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Riff raff!!! We resemble that remark!

Always a good idea....updating yer coverage to include yer slots...and keeping yer eyes peeled for roaming bands of Washingtonians.
Dont get any ideas, buddy! I can hear those head wheels turning and creaking! haha!

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
:thumbsup:Great collection ! Only thing is there are not enough cars .I noticed an additional 3rd variation as far as the IDEAL TCR Jeeps - the one in Yellow/Black stripes ! Unlike you I make it a point that ALL cars can run on my TOMY track.Thats why I modify my TCR's,Matchbox , Lionel Power Passer's & others to run on either TYCO or TOMY G+ chassis.There are no shelf Queens in my collection-all must perform.

NeaL:dude:

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
What a collection! Thanks for posting all those pics!

Seriously dude, most h/o or renters policies have a max value for collections/silver/guns/musical instruments/jewelry..... Get an agreed value and put a rider on your policy! It won't cost much at all. Or, check out the companies that insure vintage trains and such - your standard insurance adjuster won't (and wouldn't be expected to) know the value of a slot car collection, and they don't generally estimate high on stuff like that.

I didn't count the cars and chassis', but how much value am I looking at? Enough to buy a nice 1:1 for sure.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What a collection! Thanks for posting all those pics!

Seriously dude, most h/o or renters policies have a max value for collections/silver/guns/musical instruments/jewelry..... Get an agreed value and put a rider on your policy! It won't cost much at all. Or, check out the companies that insure vintage trains and such - your standard insurance adjuster won't (and wouldn't be expected to) know the value of a slot car collection, and they don't generally estimate high on stuff like that.

I didn't count the cars and chassis', but how much value am I looking at? Enough to buy a nice 1:1 for sure.
Well according to my State Farm agent, Im covered for up to something like $6oK (for everything) and this would come under it, since while mine's a pretty extensive collection, its not like a gun collection which could exceed $50K alone. At least thats what Im told. I wouldnt figure my collection's value to exceed $10 or $15K. Ive never had it appraised, but there are a few rarities in there, and the value of things like customs which are nicely done, or my resin casts are pretty hard to determine.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is there a custom Twisted Metal ice cream truck in box 3? sweeeeet
It certainly is, sir! Its actually based on ST from TM 4 since the HW armored car was in plastic and resembled that one a bit. Im planning on re-doing it with a more accurate looking van someday. If you were looking closely, you wouldve noticed Warthog, Darkside, Roadkill 2, Grasshopper, Pit Viper, and an extremely lazy Outlaw II in that same box. In my custom Jeeps box, there was a Hammerhead 3, and in my resin cast box there was hammerhead 2, Thumper, Club Kid, Crimson Fury, and Yellowjacket. Less obvious are the mockups for Specter and Twister in my to-do box. Yes, Im a huge TM fan, its my fave all time video game. Ill group the TM cars togetehr and do a set of pics soon.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
:thumbsup:Great collection ! Only thing is there are not enough cars .I noticed an additional 3rd variation as far as the IDEAL TCR Jeeps - the one in Yellow/Black stripes ! Unlike you I make it a point that ALL cars can run on my TOMY track.Thats why I modify my TCR's,Matchbox , Lionel Power Passer's & others to run on either TYCO or TOMY G+ chassis.There are no shelf Queens in my collection-all must perform.

NeaL:dude:
Thanks, Neil. I actually have an Ideal TCR track for slotless cars, just havent used it in quite a while. And all my MB cars are modded to run on standard track. For some, that means some heavy mods (different p/u skis and different motors) whereas others like the powertrack versions that come from the U.K, they'll work on standard track as-is.

That yellow Ideal Jeep is actually a Majorette, which came with a slotted chassis using the same type motor as a tomy turbo. The stock guide pins on these are much too thick to work on tomy/tyco/LL track so the simplest fix is to superglue a T-Jet pin onto the chassis. I guess they bought the Ideal TCR name and some of the tooling at one point. The body is slightly different from the ideal versions and the chassis are the same snap on variety as Ideal: both types of ideal/majorette slotted chassis work, as well as MK2/3/4. Jam cars are a bit trickier.

I just set up a thread on here with pics.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Well according to my State Farm agent, Im covered for up to something like $6oK (for everything) and this would come under it, since while mine's a pretty extensive collection, its not like a gun collection which could exceed $50K alone. At least thats what Im told. I wouldnt figure my collection's value to exceed $10 or $15K. Ive never had it appraised, but there are a few rarities in there, and the value of things like customs which are nicely done, or my resin casts are pretty hard to determine.
I had taken out an insurance rider a few years back for my slot car collection. I keep a spreadsheet, so it's not hard to figure out a ballpark value. My agent needed to come to the house to verify that I was indeed crazy and did have a house filled with cars, track, etc.

The problem for me was that the yearly premium came to about 1% of the value of my collection/inventory. The cost of slot cars, even if you don't value them at collector prices but rather on replacement value, can add up pretty quickly, especially if you've been collecting. If your collection starts getting to a value of $50k (which is real easy to achieve if you try over a number of years), you are talking about a minimum $500 per year insurance policy. That's about what I pay to insure the whole house.

Clearly, if you've only got runners, and maybe 100 or so of those, it's not a big deal. But if you collect, you'll be surprised (and maybe even shocked) at how the value adds up.

Joe

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can see how the value would rack up pretty quickly if you have a ton of T-jets. Some of those are worth several hundred a piece, right?

Some of my most valuable cars are tycos and AFX's, but the sentimental value exceeds the monetary for me.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts