Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys thought I post a thread that may earn us a few laughs and perhaps even provide noobs a solid list of what not to do in the hobby.

So has anyone here sold something they really regret? Made a really bad error on a customization that cost you the project? Broken something by accident or just had a bad day that was some how related to the hobby?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
When I was young, I went through a phase of lighting car bodies on fire, shutting off the lights, and running them around the track until they stopped. My Sugar Daddy Datsun fell prey. Who knew....

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
I had a buddy Rich who was playing with Neo mags one day a few years ago.
He was examining them up close,when somehow they slipped out of his hand,and ended up clamped inside his nose,one in either nostril.
His wife managed to snap a pic of the mags clamped into his nose,the tears running out of his eyes was the best pic i ever seen:p:wave:
I don't know if he can blow his nose yet,lol:p:p

·
Registered
554 Posts
I can hear the "magnetic" personality jokes already. Hey Rich, I heard you had a really tough booger the other day, etc.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Ok, I dunno if you'd call this a mistake perse. But I regret not coming back into Slot Cars sooner in my life(I'm 54).
Another related regret is, that for the life of me, I don't remember when and how I got rid of my H.O. slot cars back in my later teenage years. I know they don't exist in my family today, as my mom(back when she was alive) said she never saw them again since I was a kid, and they were never packed away from when my parents moved. So I musta sold them or traded them away as a teenager, but I cannot recall doing that. I especially regret it, since I had a bunch of T-jets, Faller, and Tyco S, along with one TycoPro and two original A/FX(non MT)....ALL Bought NEW ! *sighs* I sure hope I got something GOOD for them in exchange back then ?

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
When I was young, I went through a phase of lighting car bodies on fire, shutting off the lights, and running them around the track until they stopped. My Sugar Daddy Datsun fell prey. Who knew....
Who here didn't go through that phaze?? :eek:

·
Part Time Painter/Racer
8,702 Posts
I gave Honda27 my phone number by accident, big mistake!!! Seems like a disaster at times...
Here's one of my early customizing projects...Yep it's a grey Falcon...RM

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
I've used the flame technique to remove stress marks from cars. A light brush from a lighted match will remove the stress mark on the car (often around the screw post). It has worked several times but as you can imagine I have a couple of slightly melted failures.

I was also stripping a repainted car. What was underneath? A layer of black Aurora paint which was badly damaged by the first stripping. So now I have a dirty white (once black painted) formerly rare Chaparral.

Really my mistakes are too many to list here...

·
Registered
998 Posts
My daughter was proud of a yellow flamed Willys AW that I got her for Christmas. She wanted to take it to school and show her friends. She carefully wrapped it in a lot of paper towels. It survived the backpack trip to and from school. When I asked her about it later she said she put it back on my workbench. All I remember is cleaning my workbench and throwing away a wad of paper towels without thinking. By then the trash man had already come and the car was gone for good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
How about over doing it with the oil on the rails and turning the track into an ice rink. It actually worked ok with lots of extra burnouts and sliding but it was a mess to clean up.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
I did the most stupid thing you can do! I found all the aurora track, parts and about 15 original cars my brothers and I played with. A guy offered me $150 for everything. :confused::( By todays pricing $500 worth of stuff.

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
I'll have to think about this

My daughter was proud of a yellow flamed Willys AW that I got her for Christmas. She wanted to take it to school and show her friends. She carefully wrapped it in a lot of paper towels. It survived the backpack trip to and from school. When I asked her about it later she said she put it back on my workbench. All I remember is cleaning my workbench and throwing away a wad of paper towels without thinking. By then the trash man had already come and the car was gone for good.
Sorry Blue, I'm LMAO in the sympathetic been there done that way. A HT Classic right there! :freak:

Slot car disaster huh? Please check the title of my garage thread. I didnt just name it that because it was a catchy play on words ;). Lets just say the truth is in the title.

I wouldnt even know where to start, let alone count that high, but it suffices to say theres a pretty good reason that learned how to fix slot cars.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
back in college, around 1990, i sold the medium blue Mach 1 my uncle gave me for something like 20 bucks. at the time, i was moving from Magna-Traction/Tyco 440 stuff to Parma Womp racing classes, and I totally didn't "get" Tjets... they were those little oddballs at the bottom of my parts box that used slightly different parts from AFX/MT and never ran right. the blue GT40 managed to stay with me, though, still have it...

--rick

·
Villain
4,632 Posts
I gave Honda27 my phone number by accident, big mistake!!! Seems like a disaster at times...

WHAT ????????? I could see this on fleabay now, Ulltra rare missing a few parts and professionally enhanced rear end. Come get it now. lol

·
BANNED
8,209 Posts
funny kar

I am thinkin put a driver with roll cage in back seat area, big blower with top hat rear of hood and call it a funny kar or altered!
:wave:

·
Villain
4,632 Posts
I think the biggest problem I've had with slots is buying and selling then buying and selling, I have rotated so many rare cars with the thought....."hmmm, this $80.00 car will get me a lot of 7 junker tjets to work on".

One other, Gearbuster made me a convertable 40's ford (from the BTTF set) chopped the top and added 3 correct scaled passengers, he said it was me driving, and joez and coach as passengers. He had painted a tiny mullet (remember the forever joez/mullet jokes) and I think beer cans in the guys hands.
It was a super detailed custom car, and I can't remember what I did with it, I know it went to someone on the board here, I think as a favor or trade. So at least I know its loved, lol.
Just wish I had a picture of it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts