Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had an unusual break down on a couple of my T-Jets. I was running a stake bed truck and it started revving faster then it was going. I figured one of the wheels was stripped out, this has happened to me with used wheels. It turns out the gear was slipping on the axle. That has never happened to me before. I switched out the gear and in a couple laps it did the same thing. So I switched out the axle and another gear. Again within a couple laps it did the same thing! OK, so now I decide I am just going to set it aside and fix it later. Now I started running a Dash Hot Rod and the exact same thing happened! It almost acts like there is too much traction. I am using Weird Jacks silicones. Reminds me of when I put in a new clutch in my 1967 Dart GT. I drove it in the parking lot to make sure everything was working properly. Then I decided it was time to parctice launching. I let out, I mean, side stepped the clutch, I was pushed back in my seat, the front end started to come up and all of a sudden the engine revs up and the front end comes down. I ripped every tooth off the pinion gear.:(

Anyway, any ideas why all of a sudden I am having slipping gear problems?

Marty
Marysville, OH

·
Member of Da Band
2,493 Posts
Look at the axles also. PIG

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
are you stock t-jet axles?

several vendors sell aftermarket axles, i have used some of the ones from the new model motoring that work great.

But i can say try some green loctite

works great for me

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Put the axle and gear in place, near the final location, carefully add a small drop of super glue onto the axle right at the inside edge of the gear and then carefully slide the axle into the gear the remaining distance. let it set for 10 minutes or so, this should take care of the slipping issue. I do this all the time with the gauge pins I use for axles, I now vapor blast the axle where the gear will ride, to give it just a little more bite surface for the glue.

Boosted

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Were these chassis which had recently been assembled, or were they "veteran" chassis which had the same axle and crown gear for years with no problems?

If they were just assembled with axles and crown gears from the same source, then I would think that is where your problem lies - poor quality parts. If these chassis were untouched (for years) and then all of a sudden two of them develope the same issue, that's strange.

And are we talking Aurora, JL or AW?

Joe

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The stake bed was an ebay buy that I cleaned, oiled and ran. I put a lot of track time after the cleaning and prior to the axle slipping. The axles and gears were randomly picked out of the parts box. When did Dash release the Hot Rod bodies? That is when I put a NOS chassis under it and have been running it since then.

Marty
Marysville, OH

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
If your going to do the super glue method... you might wanna use the thicker formula. The thinner liquid wicks across/through/around/over/under all of your parts like a mo-fo. Especially if said parts ever had oil on them. Nothing is porous in that group of parts so if you are not VERY precise with the super glue... you may end up with an unintended "surprise" :(

Been there... glued that.... then spent some time undoing my own unintened "surprise". Thought I'd been really careful too, but that thin CA can be really tricky for in-place drive train repairs. I still do this here and there, but only with a thicker formula. :thumbsup:

·
BANNED
8,262 Posts
nail polish remover, acetone I think, can dissolve CA.

on the gear slippage. I would certainly try another new axle and gear before anything else. I have raced cars for hundreds (perhaps thousands) of laps over a couple of decade period and not experienced this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts