Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know when you have tires that appear to fit snug,but they fly off half a lap a later,is their a chemical or compond to make them stick to the rim?magnatraction/non mag stock rear wheel help needed...i dont want to use crazy glue.

·
Registered
998 Posts
My wife does the Creative Memories scrapbooking. They have a two sided tape that works well on AFX size rear wheels. It is too much for tjets or skinny front AFX tires. I have used it successfully.

Old Blue

·
Banned
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guy's...i know i have a thread how do you shrink silicone tires,but those where tires that where on 440's and got enlarged that way!the tires i'm reffering to in this thread might have been on afx deep dish rims(cop car,chevelle's)for a short period.:thumbsup:

·
Member of Da Band
2,493 Posts
Duck tape! Red or green??? pig

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Get some shrink tube just above rim OD . Slide on and cut to width. Heat to shrink onto rim then slide tire over and voila !

Bear :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
question

I found that some silicone just gets loose on the hubs, if you increase the hub dia! will they eventually get loose again?

I used race the car, then remove the tires.
never had to do that with super tires, they just stay on.

thanks

·
BANNED
8,201 Posts
results vary

yeah, I take my silicone solid tires off the rim when I'm not playing with the car.
regardless of brand, I find that it helps the tires to keep their young girlish figure!
I do know folks that never take them off and they aren't having any problems.
of course my cars build really high RPMs on the 20' 7.5" drag strip at 24 volts unlimited amps.
unlike many other forms of racing, in drag racing, if you don't win you don't continue to compete. no marshals or do overs
LOL
:hat:

·
Member of Da Band
2,493 Posts
what!
you have a problem with Oklahoma Chrome (silver duct tape):lol::lol::lol:
Your ignorance is definitely not salubrious!! pig

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Seems legit......
ok, your right (even though that's a brand) and it talks about Duck brand Duct tape. But it also appears that some people do call call "duct tape" "duck tape"

but some one using the word "salubrious" AKA (memories of deane) would more accurate by using DUCT, and and using "salubrious" in a better sentence when they personally attack a person for no reason.

·
BANNED
8,201 Posts
" The origin of the name of the product, "duck tape" or "duct tape," is the subject of some disagreement.

One view is that it was called "duck tape" by WWII soldiers either because it resembled strips of cotton duck (canvas) or because the waterproof quality of the tape contributed to the name, by analogy to the water-shedding quality of a duck's plumage. Under this view, soldiers returning home from the war found uses for duck tape around the house where ductwork needed sealing. Other proponents of this view point to older references to non-adhesive cotton duck tape used in Venetian blinds, suggesting that the name was carried over to the adhesive product. The Oxford English Dictionary says that perhaps "duct tape" was originally "duck tape". This view is summarized most notably in a New York Times article by etymologist William Safire in March 2003. Safire cites use of the term "cotton duck tape" in a 1945 advertisement for surplus government property. The Brooklyn Daily Eagle uses the term "duck" in 1902 quotation for "100,000 yards of cotton duck tape" being used to protect the cables of the Brooklyn Bridge. Thus a fabric duck tape was available to which an adhesive could have been added. "

in fact, in most communities, it is NOT allowed to seal duct work as such has to be fire resistant.

·
BANNED
8,201 Posts
Is it duct or duck? One might think that duct tape is the original, used for sealing heating and ventilating ducts, and that the duck version formed as an eggcorn. But if so, one would most likely be mistaken. Duck tape appears to be the original. It’s definitely older than duct tape, but there is some question as to whether it formed from duck tape or was independently coined.

Duck is a strong, untwilled linen or cotton fabric, similar to, but lighter than canvas. The word comes from the Dutch doeck, meaning linen cloth, and appears in English by the mid-17th century. A 1640 reference appears in John Entick’s 1766 History and Survey of London and Places Adjacent:

Duck tape appears in the 1940s. An ad in the New York Times of 14 June 1945 uses duck tape to refer to the cloth holding venetian blinds together:

In cream with cream tape or in white with duck tape.

The New York Times of 22 October 1945 includes the following in a list of surplus military equipment being auctioned. Like the venetian blind tape, this is probably not the sticky tape we are familiar with today, but rather non-adhesive cloth tape:

Cotton Duck Tape, 1” to 1 1/2” wide, 44,108 yds

Duct tape appears a few decades later, this time definitely of the adhesive variety with which we’re familiar today. Again from a New York Times ad of 1 November 1970:

DUCK TAPE
CARPET TAPE
BANKRUPTCY STOCK
14,000 Rolls 2"x60 yds silver & colored cloth tape packed 24 rolls to a case, asking $1.25 a roll.

The sticky duct tape could have come from the early non-sticky duck tape, a specialized application for the tape. Both are cloth tape. But it could also have developed separately.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts