Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Starship Class
11,842 Posts
Got the Sky1. Would like them to release the Interceptor model kit along with the others.

·
Starship Class
11,842 Posts
A Taylor said:
The Bandai Interceptor molds were scrapped in the early 90's . . .
Bummer! I've seen pics of that kit done up very nicely. :(

·
Starship Class
11,842 Posts
^^How big is the mobile model kit when finished? Do the treads and wheels move on it? I'm seriously tempted to get it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Both Sky One and the Mobile are the remote control versions. Still nice to see an accurate Sky One nose at last. The original Imai issue looked like it had flown into a wall. With a bit of work on the missile/rocket pods and removing the wheels it should make a nice model.

How come the Bandai Interceptor molds were lost? It was a very nice and accurate model. Bandai also had a few other UFO kits - saucer, Lunar Module with Ferry, and a SkyDiver but never seemed to reissue them except for the Interceptor which I think I got around 1988. All the others are long gone as well I suspect now. Ah well I've still got an unopened Interceptor in the cupboard, better check out eBay to see if it's worth anything now!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Doesn't look like anything new on the Mobile kit same as the Imai remote control version. Motorized wheels underneath, solid plastic one-piece track and wheels. Mobile is about 5 inches long.

·
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yorkie-
They never told me why they scrapped the molds, just that they had scrapped them.
Of all the styrene UFO kits ever eleased in Japan, the only molds remaining are the Moonbase kit, Mobile, and 2 sets of Sky 1 molds - strangley, owned by two different companies. Sad that all the rest are probably lining rice cookers after having been recycled.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Anyone know which other Anderson molds have been lost over time? OK most were very poor and inaccurate and do deserve to go but some were subjects never made by any other company. For example I'd love to see Imai's 17inch Zero-X from the sixties reissued, no matter how inaccurate. I've only ever seen a few photos of it and it's the usual motorized toy rather than accurate model. But with a bit of work.....who knows?

Anyway at least Aoshima are carrying on the Anderson tradition. Looking forward to their Fireflash sometime next year, and hopefully the new CGI Captain Scarlet designs in the near future. The new Angel Interceptor looks awesome.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
I forgot that I had the IMAI UFO models,also found I have 4 of 5 Thunderbirds. The photos of the new Captain Scarlet looks good. I also got one of my favorite toys
STINGRAY I bought last year. It was put out 2001. You wind up the motor and put in water. I never opened it. I WANT TO OPEN IT. SOMEBODY STOP ME. I'm ok now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Next year Product Enterprise are supposed to be bringing out a very accurate diecast Stingray. It's disappeared from their website though. I've been waiting for an accurate model ever since the tiny but quite accurate Matchbox Stingray toy of 1993.

From Marty Hopkirk's post : http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/archive/index.php/t-90809

UFO Interceptor with U.F.O. 10/24/2004
UFO Skydiver Diecast 10/24/2004
Eagle Freighter 02/24/2005
Laboratory Eagle 02/24/2005
Shadow Mobile Control May 2005
Shadow Mobile 1 laser Cannon May 2005
Shadow Mobile 2 May 2005
Stingray May 2005
Supercar May 2005
Supercar Spcl Ed May 2005
Fireball Aug 2005
Spectrum Pursuit Vehicle Aug 2005

Fireball is almost a year away darn it ! Well at least my christmas is sorted with the Interceptor and Skydiver this year.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Both Sky One and the Mobile are the remote control versions. Still nice to see an accurate Sky One nose at last. The original Imai issue looked like it had flown into a wall. With a bit of work on the missile/rocket pods and removing the wheels it should make a nice model.

How come the Bandai Interceptor molds were lost? It was a very nice and accurate model. Bandai also had a few other UFO kits - saucer, Lunar Module with Ferry, and a SkyDiver but never seemed to reissue them except for the Interceptor which I think I got around 1988. All the others are long gone as well I suspect now. Ah well I've still got an unopened Interceptor in the cupboard, better check out eBay to see if it's worth anything now!
With the exception of the almost accurate nose cone (should be wider towards the back, along with the entire body) there is not a single part that is even close to accurate. I cursed the day I opened that box!!! It took two years (on and off- but a ton of work) to scratchbuild EVERY darn piece of that...THING! And good luck trying to color match that bad boy! After searching FOREVER I found a guy who had a painted chip of the original Ford oyster gold metallic that I could match. That was my only break in that build. I used the larger parts as scrap plastic to re-create the body and wings (yes, parts of the REAL kit are hidden deep within the build) and when all was said and done... the blood, sweat and real honest to God tears I had a wonderful, super detailed scratchbuilt SKY1! Took first place professional at Chiller con! AND there was actually ANOTHER one there! What are the odds.
It was a long and painfull battle. It would have been so much easier to make it studio scale (hero) than to squeeze the detail in that I managed.
The kit more resembles the tiny one that blasts from the water that was not meant to be seen close up (no pun), with the silly pointy matra pods and all.
The SHADO mobile is a tiny bit better...and the interceptor (bandia) is closer still.
The best are the newer Aoshima kits.
AOSHIMA:
1/350 TB2
1/144 TB1
scale? TB3
very new 1/48 (I think) TB4
The Mole
The Fireflash
The Recovery vehicle
The Fab 1 aint too shabby.
The TB5 does NOT have the little grooves in the main body ring that looks like it was wrapped in thin copper wire, so that takes away from the look right off the bat but there are a few update parts. The top clear hemisphere is clear blue? and so are the side windows? Dont get that at all.
There may be more but I dont have my stash in front of me.
The bigger TB2 DOES NOT have an accurate profile (unless you get the super rare OLD Imai 1/144 mixed media kit that is pretty close. The decals would be good and yellow by now and the price may be out of control (and the windows are not cut out) but the basic profile is pretty darn good. Most people do not realize what a tough shape that bird is!
The more recent Aoshima releases are the closest I've ever seen (sans the UFO kits). They really paid close attention to the original hero's.
Hope this helps some people, and sorry for being so long winded.
Jim (and Judy)

·
Registered
356 Posts
I purchased the UfO series a while back. They rarely show the aliens, but it was a cool series non the less. I think Space 1999 came out much later. 1999 showed more aliens, and was sometimes confusing to watch, but I collected the dvd for that series also. Love the Star Ships anyways...:nerd:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts