Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i,m gonna build a skinney tire jet and i would like to know what you guys use? whats the max width? brass or derlin? even though i dont race i still waana see how they go. any hints or tips will help greatly even a pic or 2 of your skinney jet. our friend honda27 is sending me a set to try out. i,m just lookin to try out something different

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hello Joe:

Up here in Minnesota we run a copy of the MAHOR rules for skinny stock. With the one exception of stock axles are used. Double flange rims from Bearsox or other vendors with skinny silicone tires on back and o-rings on front.

16 ohm arms, balancing and comm truing are acceptable. Magnets are DASH, JL, AW, stock with replacement brushes from Slottech, Wizzard, DASH etc. We use stock bodies typically t-jet GT 40, Lola, Ferrari 250 GT, Ford J, etc.

They're really fun to drive and fast on 20 volts. I use an electronic controller or a 120 ohm BRP resistor controller with an adjustable ohm feature for driving.
Hope that answers at least some questions. Feel free to ask more! :)

Tom

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx for chimin in swami b yes that is what i was lookin for. it sounds like a basic fray car with skinney tires . i am gona get with bearsox and see if he can set me up with a rim/tire combo. i dont have anybody to race with but i will build 2 skinney,s and just drive the wheels of em! again thanx for answering my questions!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
At my track Cass County HO Speedway we run Skinny T-Jets with the stock axles and rims. You can use slip on silicone tires. The whole car is stock and I'm not sure of the ohm limit. I'll have to check. It's been over a year since my last race here. We try to keep cost down.

I raced at Park Lane Hobbies on the 31st of August and I like the double flanged rims. Great bunch of guys.

Randy.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
TRUE skinny tire T-Jet racing

I don't host organized racing on my Tub Track, apparently it is too far out in the country for people to drive here. I will occasionally invite people over for fun runnin'. We usually start out with everyone running skinny slip on silicones, then move up to Tuff Ones, then AFX, then Magna-Traction. Only a few people bring in-line magnet cars. We always end up back to skinny slip on silicones. One day someone suggested we run stock original Aurora T-Jet skinny tires. Everyone dug in their boxes and we raced for 2 1/2 hours laughing and having a ball!!! We never moved up to anything else the rest of the day.

Marty
Marysville, OH

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
THe skinnies as we run them are amazingly quick and handle well. An additionnal bonus is that you can race through the turns side by side and not trip over each other's tires, even leaning on each other a bit. We love 'em.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I don't host organized racing on my Tub Track, apparently it is too far out in the country for people to drive here. I will occasionally invite people over for fun runnin'. We usually start out with everyone running skinny slip on silicones, then move up to Tuff Ones, then AFX, then Magna-Traction. Only a few people bring in-line magnet cars. We always end up back to skinny slip on silicones. One day someone suggested we run stock original Aurora T-Jet skinny tires. Everyone dug in their boxes and we raced for 2 1/2 hours laughing and having a ball!!! We never moved up to anything else the rest of the day.

Marty
Marysville, OH
WOO HOO! I just realised that was my 2000th post!!

Marty
Marysville, OH

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
great pics

thanx for posting yer skinney tire jets boys! thats what i was lookin for. but now it gets confusing for me. now what body? seems the short wheel base bodies look fun but then i see some of the boyz use the newer type long wheel base bodies. personaly i like the way longs fishtail. i wish i had i lil more time to play but i,ve gotten kinda busy with my work. i,ll take the work anyday !! got some catching up to do.lol. now if i can get a yellowjacket arm in 16 ohms and a bearsox rim/tire combo i can start to build skinney!! after reading all the replies it sounds like a lot of fun to race this style car! again thanx for posting pics of your cars. i will post pics also when i get going.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
IMHO there is no cut and dried answer to what is better. Drive what you are comfortable with. Try different bodies with different wheelbases. Just keep in mind, what you are comfortable with and runs good on your track may be junk on someone elses track. If someone wins a race with body "A", other people will run one too. It may not work for them.

MOO

Marty
Marysville, OH

1 - 20 of 33 Posts