Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my Club show this weekend and I tried to make my First Diorama. It is scene of two ships that come along to a damaged Star Ship. I titled it “Sister Ships come to the aid of an Old Veteran” The two ships are named after the local Townships that I live near. And I used the Hood as my damaged ship. Thanks to Thomas Sasser for the decals, and getting them rushed to me. I had the newer ships in the Frank Joseph’s design font, and the hood in the original ST font. I Won a Certificate of merit.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Sorry for the HUge Picture. I have uploaded to my Site a smaller cversion that doesn't take such a long load time. yet it won't delete the old large one. Hope to fix it soon. The ships were actually done in two different colors. One in Tamiya Sky Grey, and the other in Tamiya Blue Grey.

·
Starship Class
11,865 Posts
Very cool! I like the cloud leaking out of the nacelle.

Do you have some close-ups of the individual ships?

·
Registered
594 Posts
capt Locknar said:
Great Job, I think the Tamiya Blue Grey works just great.
Yeah, I'm definitely going to give it a try on my next Enterprise... I wonder how it would look on the 18" Ertl version?

Dan

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PerfesserCoffee said:
Very cool! I like the cloud leaking out of the nacelle.

Do you have some close-ups of the individual ships?
Yes, You can see them at my web site

The individual Pages are:

http://www.freewebs.com/tholian/Hood.html

http://www.freewebs.com/tholian/poug.html

http://www.freewebs.com/tholian/Wappfalls.html

Griffworks said:
Great job on those, Tom!
Thanks Griff.

Tripdeer said:
Yeah, I'm definitely going to give it a try on my next Enterprise... I wonder how it would look on the 18" Ertl version?
I actually have used it on a kit bash that I am working on. Waiting on the decals from Thomas to complete, but I do have the ship painted and some of the details in completion

Stimpson J. Cat said:
Great models and scene! I'll bet the Captain of the Hood felt relieved to see two heavy cruiser show up to help. Who did the Hood tangle with?
Had the idea of adding one of those fake rocks made out of sponge. The ones you see at stores that are already done. And then having a Klingon BattleCruiser on the opposite side leaving in a hurry. But I haven't got that far yet. LOL
:D

·
Registered
392 Posts
Tholian said:
Had the idea of adding one of those fake rocks made out of sponge. The ones you see at stores that are already done. And then having a Klingon BattleCruiser on the opposite side leaving in a hurry. But I haven't got that far yet. LOL
:D
Not too big of a hurry I hope. I'm sure the Hood gave as well as it took! ;)

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stimpson J. Cat said:
Not too big of a hurry I hope. I'm sure the Hood gave as well as it took! ;)
Nope, I am going to put some battle damage on the Klingon Ship as well. But I am making it look more like the Hood was surprised and taken off gaurd. Thats how she got the way she is. Poor old girl (sniff sniff) :cry:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Tholian, SENSATIONAL idea! I have 2 PL Ent's waiting to be done and you have now made me plan to go out and buy a few more. I love the Tamiya Blue grey, and the battle weary version has really inspired me to try something along those lines. Great work!!! Cheers, Fox.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I really like the Wapingers Falls 1/2 refit! It even faithfully
includes the registration number on the secondary hull
ala Phase II.

The primary hull gash on the Hood is also quite effective, caught
me a bit by surprise, the first time I saw it.

Edge

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Edge said:
I really like the Wapingers Falls 1/2 refit! It even faithfully
includes the registration number on the secondary hull
ala Phase II.

The primary hull gash on the Hood is also quite effective, caught
me a bit by surprise, the first time I saw it.

Edge
Yea, sometimes you don't pick it up right away. But it is there.

Foxtrot >>> If you want to do damage, what you do is cut a big hole in somewhere. then cover it with a thin sheet of styrene. Then blend in the edges with a putty. After that, you take an X-Acto knife to it, and you cut the rips and tears in it to look like plating. If you use the kit plastic, it is to thick and looks like crap. I read somewhere with pictures on how to do it, but I can't remember the Web site now.

Old age I guess. :cool:

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Had the time to look at the pictures, looks good. The idea of the diorama was just right. Like the name plate.

But I think I recognized the damage as being made by a Tholian. :D

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lloyd Collins said:
Had the time to look at the pictures, looks good. The idea of the diorama was just right. Like the name plate.

But I think I recognized the damage as being made by a Tholian. :D
:jest: Could be

Here is the ships at the show. BTW, did I meantion the the Warp Nacelles lit up? I got these flashing Belly Button lights and attached them to the inside red-clear part of the Bussard collector. Wish there was a way to show you a movie file to see them in action. :(

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
No, you did not mentioned lights. The belly button lights, do they flash only red?
I found in a bubble gum? machine at stores that had rings that flashed red/green, I got some for possible model lights. I do not know if I will light my FJD Tug I am working on.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lloyd Collins said:
No, you did not mentioned lights. The belly button lights, do they flash only red?
I found in a bubble gum? machine at stores that had rings that flashed red/green, I got some for possible model lights. I do not know if I will light my FJD Tug I am working on.
Got these at a dollar store. They flash red and Green, but the green is not as noticeable with the red tint on the Bussard collector. And the flash from Red to green actually makes it look like a reaction is going on. Since they flash so fast and bright. But you have to be sure you do a good paint job on the rest of the Clear domes, because the flash will bleed right through. You also have to cut out the parts that hold the clear domes onto the front. That way the lights can be slipped in from the front easily. I super glued them to the bussard collector, and then when the light wears out, I snap the old light off, and replace it with a new one. Sorry for the pic, I have a crappy digital camera.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Tholian said:
Got these at a dollar store. They flash red and Green, but the green is not as noticeable with the red tint on the Bussard collector. And the flash from Red to green actually makes it look like a reaction is going on. Since they flash so fast and bright. But you have to be sure you do a good paint job on the rest of the Clear domes, because the flash will bleed right through. You also have to cut out the parts that hold the clear domes onto the front. That way the lights can be slipped in from the front easily. I super glued them to the bussard collector, and then when the light wears out, I snap the old light off, and replace it with a new one. Sorry for the pic, I have a crappy digital camera.

Thanks for the info. As I was reading how you put the lights in, an idea formed.What about running wires from the lights through the model down to the stand and have the batteries and a switch there. As being LEDs they should last years.

But as you said the key is the paint on the bussard collectors. Red paint or would red stain glass paint work. I never put lights in a model yet, this might be the time.

Lloyd:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts