Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I have no faith that we will EVER see these kits materialize on store shelves. The build-up of the Ghost was premiered at Wonderfest THREE YEARS AGO. Iam glad that we got the Nosferatu kit, but I don't count on the Ghost or Sinbad until they are in front of me.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Wasn't there a thread on this whole thing just a while ago? Can't recall all the details, but I thought things were looking .... hopeful.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I've seen photos of the final test shots of Sinbad. I don't know if production has begun, but it should soon. I know "the Ghost is getting close" has been stated way too many times this year, so I won't say it again.

These kits will appear. Lots of money has already been shelled out to pay for them, and to back off now would mean flushing it all.

·
Registered
655 Posts
What has me curious is how Nosferatu seemed to get out with so (apparently) little problem. It struck me as a virtually glitch-free production. So the question is, What's happened between Nosferatu's production/distribution/whatever and that which is plaguing Sinbad and the Ghost?

I only wish Monarch the very best of luck. I am hopeful, and will be thankful whenever it is these models become available.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Nosferatu wasn't glitch-free. Much of that production effort happened before anyone even knew Monarch was coming. I did my first blog interview with Scott around Christmas 2006 and the kit was still almost a year away from hobby shops.

No doubt, though, the Ghost has been a much more frustrating production.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Todds right, the Nosferatu kit took a long while, its just that very few knew it was comming. I think we will see sinbad soon, maybe withen months, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Scott is a one person doing this venture - I think the kits will be out soon. I Appreciate what he is doing - Kits that have not been done in styrene at all.

I also have plenty of projects to work on in the mean time. I don't care how long it takes - They are great sculpts, too.

Gerry-Lynn

Oh yea - I have some plans for the ghost; with another new kit that has been out - to make a little diorama.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Well the fact that we are still complaining about these kits not being out yet means that we still want them badly.Bitching about this is not always a negative thing.It's somewhat comforting for the manufacturer to know that somebody more than ever,very much want to get there hands on them.It's when people don't even mention it that it can be alarming for everyone concerned.;)

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
I have a funny feeling that it won't be long now :thumbsup:
Mcdee

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Scott is just waiting for the instruction sheets then production will start right away.Forgot to ask about the Ghost.We mite see the Gorgo go into production by Spring.Scott`s frustrated too people.The hold up appears to be with the crew over seas with production.Scott is a great guy.It`s tough to babysit people in another country.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Another reason why these companies need to bite the bullet and QUIT MAKING THINGS IN CHINA!
I wouldn't mind actually paying about 20% more to buy it if it was made in the US. However for Scott I think it may be more of a problem with the communications back and forth rather than the implementation itself. Just conjecturing but if the overseas factory has the capacity they certainly have the labor force. So probably much time is spent with the back and forth that would not be near as much of a problem if you could visit the factory in person. It would be nice though to see "Made in the US" on stuff like this again.

But it does sound hopeful that we will see Sinbad and maybe the Ghost in the not too distant future. He had some neat stuff on display at Wonderfest and I personally am hoping he gets the Fly into production. As others have said though, I have a huge stack of models in my workshop and won't have any trouble finding something else to build in the meantime, like the original Prisoner, etc. In fact I have an Aurora/Revell Superman and Moebius Frankenstein on the bench at the moment. The hard part is which model to pull off the shelf next when those are done!

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I wouldn't mind actually paying about 20% more to buy it if it was made in the US.
If the cost difference were that low, we would actually see more of this stuff done here.
But just guessing, I think they would probably have to charge at least double for the ktis to be produced here. Probably even more than that.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I wouldn't mind actually paying about 20% more to buy it if it was made in the US. However for Scott I think it may be more of a problem with the communications back and forth rather than the implementation itself. Just conjecturing but if the overseas factory has the capacity they certainly have the labor force. So probably much time is spent with the back and forth that would not be near as much of a problem if you could visit the factory in person. It would be nice though to see "Made in the US" on stuff like this again.

But it does sound hopeful that we will see Sinbad and maybe the Ghost in the not too distant future. He had some neat stuff on display at Wonderfest and I personally am hoping he gets the Fly into production. As others have said though, I have a huge stack of models in my workshop and won't have any trouble finding something else to build in the meantime, like the original Prisoner, etc. In fact I have an Aurora/Revell Superman and Moebius Frankenstein on the bench at the moment. The hard part is which model to pull off the shelf next when those are done!
You hit the nail on the head Buddy.It`s hard to split yourself in 2. I think once the smoke clears all parties will be happy.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
We've down this road before...Models made in the US are far more expensive than those made by our Chinese cousins. The economics of a billion-strong workforce that isn't (yet) accustomed to good working conditions and high salaries make China a less expensive place to have things manufactured. This will change, however, as they become accustomed to having nice homes, automobiles, and better working conditions.

I beleive Lindbergh is currently making their kits in the US, but keep in mind that they are using old molds, and buildings and machines that they already owned for years. Thus, their costs are relatively small.

Larry

·
Registered
946 Posts
A year or so ago, I heard an interesting NPR program that included a call-in from the owner of Glencoe. He said his kits are made in the United States, which of course makes him a rare thing in the world of plastic modeling. At some point, he had investigated the possibility of Wal-Mart stocking his models. Wal-Mart, being the king/dictator of retail, tells suppliers how much it's willing to pay, and that price can be substantially below the wholesale prices others have to pay.

In Glencoe's case, Wal-Mart set a price that was actually less than what it cost the company to have the kits made. So, no Glencoe in Wal-Mart.

I'd love to see production return to North America. However, Chinese factories aren't so appealing to companies just because they're cheap. Chinese factories also do good work. I agree, though, this won't last forever. The Chinese economy will change as it grows stronger, just as the Japanese economy did before it. Remember 35 years ago when people made fun of "made in Japan"?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts