Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How successful was The Simpsons line? Was it successful enough to merit a second wave? I know they sold well in my area. I'd love to see a second wave of new castings (not repaints).

- JJ
www.hollywood-diecast.com

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
It sold really well at first, but there's still some hanging here and there. I didn't buy them at first but picked them up a bit later. I passed on the HOW release as they were too similar.

Not sure if it'd merit a second wave. If I couldn't find any still in stores from the pre-HOW set I'd say it would but that's not the case. I'd be somewhat interested though, but I wonder what other cars could be done.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Joe,

They sold well enough but like all of JL's licensed releases they were WAY overproduced. For some reason, JL seems to have to make more of the licensed products, perhaps to recoup the investment. Same with Clue, Marvel, Monopoly, etc. That stuff warms the pegs forever while the good stuff from Classic Gold, Mopars, Muscle Cars, etc disappears too quickly or never even makes it. Wish it weren't so but it is.

I would support a second Simpsons round too as long as they didn't make more that 20K of them.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CTWLSMIKE said:
I'd be somewhat interested though, but I wonder what other cars could be done.
I, for one, would like to see a four car set that would include:

1) The green Homer-Mobile that made Homer's half-brother go bankrupt.
2) Snake's car that Homer owned for an episode
3) Moe's car with the huge flowers on it.
4) Canyonero

Any other suggestions?

- JJ

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
Apu's Trans Am (existing casting! 1979 Firebird!)
Hans Moleman's AMC Gremlin ("Otto, there's a Gremlin on the side of the bus!")
Marge's high school Gremlin
Comic Book Store Guy's Gremlin
Homer's high school Plymouth Duster (existing casting!)
Troy McClure's DeLorean
Abe Simpson's '88 Mustang 5.0 convertible
Ned Flanders' Geo Metro ("It can't go any faster, its a Geo!")
Burns' limo
I forget the character (he was trying to steal Marge from Homer...I think) but he had a '58-'60 Thunderbird (existing casting!)
Tall Guy In Volkswagen Beetle (existing casting!)

There are tons more that could be good possibilities. The Canyonero and the Homer are musts!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Swifty said:
I thought Homer had a Roadrunner? 'Course, I've been off my Simpsons viewing since the baby, so maybe he had another car.

Good list, BTW! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
The question is could they sell enough of them in a single release to make any money. Not easy to use Simpson's cars in other releases. Even though they have existing castings for many of the cars mentioned, none of those are cartoonish like the cars should be so a new casting would have to be made unless the casting could be modified.

·
Banned
142 Posts
Swifty said:
Apu's Trans Am (existing casting! 1979 Firebird!)
Hans Moleman's AMC Gremlin ("Otto, there's a Gremlin on the side of the bus!")
Marge's high school Gremlin
Comic Book Store Guy's Gremlin
Troy McClure's DeLorean
Abe Simpson's '88 Mustang 5.0 convertible
Ned Flanders' Geo Metro ("It can't go any faster, its a Geo!")
Burns' limo
I forget the character (he was trying to steal Marge from Homer...I think) but he had a '58-'60 Thunderbird (existing casting!)
Tall Guy In Volkswagen Beetle (existing casting!)

There are tons more that could be good possibilities. The Canyonero and the Homer are musts!

They should a three pack special, the go soap box derby carts, the martin's shuttle, Team Homer, and Nelsons speical. They should make the Monorail just in time for christmas. :) And Finks Flying Motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
How about the early '60's Dodge pickup of Moe's that appears breifly in the episode where Homer is worried Bart is gay and takes him hunting to straighten him out.

We only see the truck for a moment, but the styling suggests a Dodge of that era.

Anybody else know what Im talking about? :confused:
Want to see it done?

·
Atomic Punk
4,323 Posts
Swifty said:
Artie Zip. (voice of John Lovitz. Yeah, that's the ticket.)
Or are you talking about the bowling guy. I forgot his name....

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
admiralhonshu said:
How come we are always talking 1:64? They should make them either in a 1:24 format or a 1:18 scale.
NO! Too Big!!!

1/64th is just fine. Actually 1/43 would be great too, but JL doesn't do much in that scale.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
jage1966 said:
1) The green Homer-Mobile that made Homer's half-brother go bankrupt.
4) Canyonero
These were actually planned to be a second wave in HOW, including the two above, instead of the alternate colors ones that actually showed. I'm not sure what happened (probably budget matters, like always) but they were never done. We got illustrations from FOX but nothing more. The license has probably expired by now.

I pushed for the notion of grounding the first wave in the "every day" of the Simpsons, and getting into the episode-specific stuff in the second wave. Everyone knows Homer's pink car. Not everyone knows Canyonero. It worked out, sort of: I don't know that we could have done a second version of Canyonero in that second wave (the second versions of what we did were pretty thin to start with).

The model kit of the car made for Homer was done over the objections of the guy who did the model kits; he wanted to do Homer's everyday driver but the Simpsons fans in the house insisted that the Car Built for Homer was a far more fun thing to look at than Homer's pink sedan.

For what it's worth, holding back on new Simpsons probably freed up money to do Firebirds.

jk

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
rlyoung1 said:
Not easy to use Simpson's cars in other releases..
Hello Rl,
Wanna bet?
I wouldn't put anything past them.
Kiss, Clue, Coke, Hawiian Punch....uh...Lost in Space...how about an entire Simpson's Monoploy set (?)...
I think most of these rabid brand collectors really don't care about what is cast so long as it is plastered with an add and a different casting ( completely regardless of what it is...)

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Jeff Koch said:
For what it's worth, holding back on new Simpsons probably freed up money to do Firebirds.
AMEN! :thumbsup: Don't get me wrong, I love The Simpsons, but having way too many cars on the pegs just murdered the series and any hope of a future release in my opinion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I remember the very old batman lincoln futura in a snoooow episode :p :p :p
and, in the same episode, the snowplough truck!

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
modsquad said:
Hello Rl,
Wanna bet?
I wouldn't put anything past them.
Kiss, Clue, Coke, Hawiian Punch....uh...Lost in Space...how about an entire Simpson's Monoploy set (?)...
I think most of these rabid brand collectors really don't care about what is cast so long as it is plastered with an add and a different casting ( completely regardless of what it is...)
Those cars would probably cost about $6 since you would have to double the licensing. ;)
I'm sure that would stir some real licensing issues between FOX and the other companies. :lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts