Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the oil type you use in your shocks.

Jerry and I were messing around with some of his shocks and found the o-rings that were in his shocks would swell in the silicone oil. They got HUGE.

I built some shocks that came on the car I purchased and sis not notice the issue.

Do you guys use the little bottles of silicone or the fork oil that you can get at the motorcycle shops?

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
I think their suppose to swell some? Check out this article...

PST-455 O- Ring Lubricant is a silicone- based material that helps ensure positive lubrication and sealing by slightly swelling rubber O-Rings and seals. This product is heat stable and oxidation resistant, and is serviceable from approximately -85 to 351 F (-65 to 177 C). | PST-455 is primarily used for dynamic lubrication and sealing between rubber and metal parts in pneumatic valves. Typical applications are found within the aircraft, automotive and other industries. PST-455 meets the specification of MIL 4343C. Light beige material. | Unlike other silicone greases, PST-455 has reduced swelling characteristics when used with silicone o-rings.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know that a lot of the fork oils have "seal swell" in them, to ensure a good seal on the shaft. But these were laying on some spilled silicone oil. I do not think the Associated oils have any seal swell in them, I am not sure though. These o-rings swelled quite a bit. It might not have made a difference if they had been installed in a shock.

I did build my shocks like Will showed me at a race once. Trust me, that is the ONLY way to do it. Every other way I tried was a pain, and that is being nice.

I am still not sure what type shock I have on the car.

Paul said they were HADA shocks. They look like WCM shocks but are made of some sort of plastic or composite and have a pistion with two very small holes in them.

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
Those were one of the sets my shocks scott and hada shocks are good after you race a few times and get used to what you are looking for you can play around with different oils to get the dampening you are looking for a few times I have heard folks in 1/4 scale say you change the spring rate with the oil which is WRONG it don't matter if you use 10wt or 150wt oil in a shock with a 8 lbs spring its still just a 8 lbs spring

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So are those HADA shocks or WCMs?

Will I agree 100%! Once a spring is "X" pounds it is just that. No matter what you do, unless you change its properties, the rate of compression is what it is. Oil is for dampning on the compression and rebound stroke, basically to keep the shock from "bouncing". It is more complicated than that, but to keep it simple...

the more I play with this car the more I am really looking foward to getting it to the track and "screwing" around with it. Just to see what makes it tick.

You guys that run at LPR are nbound to see my car with some really weird stuff on it. not saying I have any better way to do anything, but the only way I can understand on how something works it to apply it and see what happens.

·
Having fun is #1
1,978 Posts
Scott, The shocks that I have work best with a 100% synethic fork oil. That is what jerry has on his car he got from me. I have used a lot of oils and that works best with the INVADER shocks. Well hope this helps give me a call about the WCM parts # is on QSAC website. Thanks.:thumbsup:

What is the oil type you use in your shocks.

Jerry and I were messing around with some of his shocks and found the o-rings that were in his shocks would swell in the silicone oil. They got HUGE.

I built some shocks that came on the car I purchased and sis not notice the issue.

Do you guys use the little bottles of silicone or the fork oil that you can get at the motorcycle shops?

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jeff -- The shocks that did the swelling were on the other Lightning car he has. I think those are the Lightning shocks. But I could be wrong. I don't know one from the other, yet :)

I will give you a shout tomorrow if that is ok.

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
Scott I knew you know that but some don't realize it me and brandon have a ton of diffrent oils in the trailer so maybe we can give you some diffrent choices to play with

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I appreciate it.

What I am doing, as I am sure you guys can tell, is gather as much info as I can. the plan is to have what I need to go racing when the season breaks.

Thanks everyone for answering my questions. And if there is ever anythng I can do to repay the favors, just ask.

But I ain't wearin' no dress! :D

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
I know about what feel I am looking for as far as the shocks I will help you out on those its not a problem and as for rebuilding them I do it every time my car hits the track if you do that you cut the odds down on if your car without any changes goes from good to bad with it being a bad hime or bad tire

·
Having fun is #1
1,978 Posts
NO you leave the dress wearing to willy. The best thing you can do on oil is to stick with one kind so all the adjustments stay the same. If you change brands you change the setup alot of times. I would pick a good synethic fork oil that you can get local and stay with it. Fork oil won't hold the air in it like silicone oils do. Just my 2 cents worth. Talk to you tomorrow Scott.:thumbsup:
I appreciate it.

What I am doing, as I am sure you guys can tell, is gather as much info as I can. the plan is to have what I need to go racing when the season breaks.

Thanks everyone for answering my questions. And if there is ever anythng I can do to repay the favors, just ask.

But I ain't wearin' no dress! :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts