Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Cautiously Optimistic
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can find decent plans/ reference pix of this vessel?

·
Starship Class
11,871 Posts
Is this the shuttle that they converted into the Jenolen? Probably some good screen grabs available from that episode of ST:TNG if so.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
That second pic - which I can see, strangely enough - is from the Jackill's books and not accurate to the studio model. Just wanted to point that out.

Carson Dyle said:
Does anyone know where I can find decent plans/ reference pix of this vessel?
I think that originally appeared in ST:IV, didn't it? I think it was the shuttle that we see leaving Earth and travleing up to Spacedock. Next time we see it is in ST:GEN in the first pic you link to, Rob. There are some fairly decent screen grabs somewhere online - I want to say the NeutralZone.de, but am at work and don't have the link here - and am guessing that the links Nova Designs gives are some of those other screen grabs from Ex Astris.

·
Cautiously Optimistic
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks, guys.

Griffworks said:
I think that originally appeared in ST:IV, didn't it? I think it was the shuttle that we see leaving Earth and travleing up to Spacedock.
You've described the shot I remember, but I thought it was from Undiscovered Country. I recall being surprised that, given the limited FX budget, the producers would elect to spend money on yet another shuttlecraft design/ model -- and a fleetingly glimpsed one at that (IIRC it only appears in one shot).

Whatever the reasoning, I'm glad they did budget for it; aside from the original TOS design, it's my favorite Trek shuttle.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
OK, I'm showing off my uber-Trekky Geekness here, but....

ST:IV "The Voyage Home" had that particular shuttlecraft make an appearance. It was the scene right after Kirk's trial verdict being given.

ST:V is "The Final Frontier" and had a pretty small budget. Interestingly enough, it had a shuttlecraft scene, but it was a shuttlecraft approaching Enterprise from the low rear area w/the moon in the background, IIRC. Actually, the newly designed shuttlecraft made several appearances in teh movie - they were really gettin' their monies worth for both the prop and full-sized set-piece, I guess.

ST:VI was "The Undiscovered Country" and while it had a scene which was presumably on Earth, I don't believe we ever saw a shuttlecraft, nor do I recall seeing Spacedock.

Sorry for my geekiness showing thru. I've just always been a big hardware fan and Trek has had some of the kewelest, IMNSHO....

·
Cautiously Optimistic
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Griffworks said:
ST:VI was "The Undiscovered Country" and while it had a scene which was presumably on Earth, I don't believe we ever saw a shuttlecraft, nor do I recall seeing Spacedock.
I could've sworn the shot of the shuttle zooming toward Spacedock came directly after the Star Fleet Command conference room sequence in Trek VI (the scene in which a hawkish Kirk locks horns with Spock re: the fate of the crumbling Klingon Empire).

My mind must be going. Happens to us old-timers. ;)

Aw, what the heck. I'll stick to my guns and say the shuttle pictured above first appeared in Undiscovered Country exactly as I've described. In fact, I'll bet you fifty bucks.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
That particular shuttle appeared in ST:VI and in the closing of GEN sitting on the saucer of the Ent-D as a matte painting. The actual model was converted into a movie era starship for the TNG episode "Relics".

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Carson Dyle said:
I could've sworn the shot of the shuttle zooming toward Spacedock came directly after the Star Fleet Command conference room sequence in Trek VI (the scene in which a hawkish Kirk locks horns with Spock re: the fate of the crumbling Klingon Empire).

My mind must be going. Happens to us old-timers. ;)
You are correct Carson. There is a shot of this shuttle haeding toward spacedock right after Spock and Kirk have their little argument in the bowels of Starfleet Headquarters.

·
Cautiously Optimistic
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Oh, man, Lloyd... you ROCK! That's exactly what I was looking for.

BTW Jeff, I'm just kidding about the bet. Fact is I was trying to let you off the hook easy, but then you had to go and impugn my geekiness. :)

The so-called "Executive Shuttle" was designed by Bill George, and built by ILM for Undiscovered Country. It appears in one, and only one, shot. And, as others have pointed out, a version with alternate livery markings appears at the end of Generations. After that it was recycled as the Jenolen (sp?).

I still think it's strange that a nice but penny-pinching guy like Ralph Winter would sign-off on an expensive FX miniature for use in a single shot (and a throw-away transitional shot at that), but, like I said, I'm glad he did. Hell, the more shuttlecraft the merrier!

And in any case, Paramount got their money's worth in the long run.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
... which is complicated by the fact that it's been a year since I've seen a Trek movie other than ST:TMP! I've only been watching Trek Remastered and ENT episodes since May or June of '06!!! :eek:

Git uh rope! :roll:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts