Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were only permitted to keep 1 Lesney for the rest of your life, which car would it be and why???

For me it is this no33 Zephyr 6 which has been with me since I was 8 years old, and was a new old stock find in the Superfast age and I can remember that it took me at least 2 years to find this having seen friends playing with these.

And a much easier question to answer, which is your favourite casting and why?

For me its the no25 Ford Cortina, which Lesney made in a rather lighter shade of metallic brown than the Saluki Bronze Ford colour of the 1:1 Cortina 1300 Deluxe that my father bought in August 1967 (F plate month!) to replace his Morris (MG) 1100 because he was worried that me or my sister would try to open the rear doors when we shouldnt.................
This Cortina has been with me since 1979 or 1980 and was a swap with a school pal. My childhood original survives somewhere in my basement in very poor condition

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Weird!!!

I found a gray wheels #33 new old stock too!!!!
It was at a hobby shop when I was about 10 I think. I can remember being really exited to find it.

As far as picking just one casting I could keep, I guess it's allways been this earlier #33 I found in the garage at my older cousins house. He said I could have it. It was my first gray wheels and looked up to my cousin 'cause he is a gear head from way back, a greaser and a musician, so this one's a keeper!

As far as picking a casting that is my favorite, that's much much harder for me.
Some of these early childhood well worn/loved ones are among my faves.
My brother always told me this was my first Matchbox when I was 2.

This one my brother gave to me when I was 5 or 6 and it was beat up then!!!

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dave,
Your Zephyr 6 has survived very nicely, better than mine, perhaps because you were a year or so older than me when you got yours. Your GPW car is a much darker shade than my SPW issue, but your car is older and gpw are the hardest to find on this ride..........I still have the E box for mine in fair shape......
Its the remembered excitement of getting the car plus all that the car has been through that makes it treasured. My Zephyr joined my family when we made the 27 month trip around the world including 26 months living in Malaysia in my hand luggage so it was part of the most joyfilled adventurous part of my childhood.........

Did those Zodiacs ever get sold in USA or Canada as 1:1 cars I wonder.....perhaps only in convertable form???

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Oh, no...I've seen very few English Fords here. Probably some got imported by dealers, but I don't know of which models where if any.
Cars like that probably mostly got over here from private partys.
Never ever heard of a Zephyr or a Zodiac being in the US, but it's entirely possible there's a small handfull of each somewherz!

I love your Zephyr story and always apprieciate your added info. ( gpw Zephyr).

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And so did Jack Odell, he really filled the box full with this Aston unlike the Morris Minor and others made at the same time!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts