Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this '57 chevy that is entirely plastic. Body and base. No die-cast whatsoever. Is it supposed to be this way? IIRC, it was taken from a '50's themed five-pack. I mean I'm not picky, but diecast should have at least some die-cast in it. Any others that are like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I remember this car.
wasnt this a late nineties release? like '97 or '98?
This was supposed to be a sign of things to come.
glad mattel decided to at least stick with metal bodies.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Get used to it. It's going to happen more and more, to the point when "die cast" will have been redefined by the industry to mean plastic miniatures.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have this '57 chevy that is entirely plastic. Body and base. No die-cast whatsoever. Is it supposed to be this way? IIRC, it was taken from a '50's themed five-pack. I mean I'm not picky, but diecast should have at least some die-cast in it. Any others that are like this?
I remember that 5-pack '57 Chevy. That was the scuttlebutt at the time, the "error" car. What you have is what Mattel intentionally made, it is how it was supposed to be, even then.

Yes, maybe it was an omen of things to come.

I think it is pretty easy to see how many of the castings since then have gone on to have plastic bases. Not so well advertised, or at least it seems fewer people seem concerned, is that the series "track stars" have metal bases and plastic bodies so that they perform better on the track sets. If they were plastic bases and metal bodies they would be top heavy and not perform as well... ;)

I think we all want our cake and to eat it too.

Matchbox and Mattel have spoiled us. We have grown used to metal bodies and metal chassis, and expect that much raw material for less than a dollar. The prices of raw metal have gone up to the point where that is not practical...something has to give.

So, these are your choices: plastic bodies, plastic bases, or minimum $3 a car. Which do you choose?

If you figure, when Hot Wheels came out, and originally sold for between .79 on sale and a dollar MSRP, in 1968 gasoline cost .35 a gallon, cigarettes cost .35 a pack, and bread could be had three loaves for a dollar.

Today, gasoline costs $2.50 to $3 a gallon, I noticed a pack of Camel non-filter cigarettes cost more than $7, and a loaf of bread is $2.50 or so. But Hot Wheels still sell for a buck or less. At some point, very soon, Mattel will have no choice...either all plastic or raise prices. Which do you think customers are willing to go for? These things are toys, they are meant to be used up and thrown away.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Maybe I'm part of the minority, but I'm not in the "as long as the cars are still cheap, we will accept whatever they give us" camp. I would rather pay a little bit more to keep die cast as part of the assembly. You also forgot one more option: buy something else. If Mattel goes all plastic, I go away. Thanks for the memories. Still, this may be just paranoia on our part and Mattel may not have any plans in the near future to go all polymer.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think it is pretty easy to see how many of the castings since then have gone on to have plastic bases.
So, these are your choices: plastic bodies, plastic bases, or minimum $3 a car. Which do you choose?
I can deal with plastic bases more than plastic bodies. However if given the choice of the 3 you listed, I would rather see $3 a car, and no plastic. I understand mattel is in a bind here with prices. They have to cut corners somewhere if they want to keep prices under a dollar. But I would MUCH rather pay a little more than to buy something entirely plastic.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Hot wheels have plastic bases, wow I guess im so use to Greenlight and M2 all diecast bodies and bases I didnt even think about HW having plastic parts. I guess you get what you pay for, for less a buck I guess plastic is ok. I dont collect HW's as they are to massed produced even the Super TH's are up in the high 50-100,000 range, and they are more katered for children not adults.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I can deal with plastic bases more than plastic bodies. However if given the choice of the 3 you listed, I would rather see $3 a car, and no plastic. I understand mattel is in a bind here with prices. They have to cut corners somewhere if they want to keep prices under a dollar. But I would MUCH rather pay a little more than to buy something entirely plastic.
Well, that's the thing...Mattel has been scoping out what people really think, -with their wallets-, with series like the black box collector's sets and Classics 1-5, Dragstrip Demons, Larry's Garage, etc.

Yeah, sure, there are a few vocal people who talk a big talk about diecast or nothing, but do they actually buy the higher priced *toys?* I've watched the prices on black box cars go from the retail MSRP of as much as $10 a car drop to as little as $3, and a whole lot of them can be found for around $5...half of what they retailed for. LG at $3 a pop (and part plastic) seem to do OK around here, but the Classics series are already showing signs of people giving up on them.

I love the Classics, I think that was the best thing Hot Wheels has done since they first came out. I was seriously bummed to hear that series 5 is the end of the road for this line. Is it because they don't sell very well? I see they threw in some chase to liven things up a bit (I couldn't care less), so now people are fighting over those just like THunts. The Dragstrip Demons are, -for the most part with some exception-, a pretty neat series. But at $5 a pop a bit pricey, and compared to the Classics I think a bit sparing on the quality of paint and detail other than the skinny "bicycle" wheels on some of the Altereds and dragsters. I don't know for fact, but I think the Classics are more expensive to produce than the DD's. The Garage series are even cheaper to produce (good bit of plastic in them too), but at $3 MSRP I can't complain because at least there are real riders wheels.

The Classics on the other hand, started out at $3 MSRP 5 years ago, and I have bought some of series 1 at retail for as little as $1.79, and heard talk of sales as low as $1.49. That was in the first year. I also watched as the price climbed in the 4th year to $3.49, but also caught a couple buy one-get one sales, and at $1.75 are still an excellent bargain. With series 5, prices have gone up yet again...$3.69...and distribution has diminished to where later releases are impractical (at least for me) to find anywhere except online. And online prices are higher still, *plus* shipping! And somehow the powers that be have decided that the Convoy is *the* piece to have, so prices on that one are inflated over and above everything else. This final year of the Classics is plain nuts...literally insane. The store I have gotten my stuff from for the last 3 years has not stocked any new series 5 since last spring. Yet, at the same time, prices on most of the older first 4 years of Classics have dropped to around $2.

The Classics series are *exactly* what everybody says they want...diecast body and diecast chassis, plus decent quality paint, at around $3-4. But judging by the way the prices drift off over time on the older stuff and how the series is coming to an end (for lack of sales?), I am guessing that not enough people *really* want to pay for all diecast bodies and chassis. If there were enough people out there who *really* wanted all diecast the Classics series would continue. There isn't enough customer base to support it.

I wish there were more people that really liked, -meaning actually spent their money on-, the all diecast stuff. Then I could believe all the arguments. But the market has voted with its dollars, and it wants the cheap less than a buck stuff. The only way to get that now is with plastic.

BTW, my rant isn't directed at anybody in particular. ;)

Merry Christmas everybody!

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I remember this Car. This Car was inside the 50's 5pack and yes its all Plastic. Their was also another one identical that was all Diecast. The Plastic one was the harder one to come by when these were first being released. You ask if their were any others ??? Yes their was another 5pack that had all Red Ferrari's and the middle Car was all Plastic and this was another hard 5pack to find. I had many of these 5pack Plastic 57 Chevy's back in the day and traded them all away for TH's as many people couldn't find them so it was easy to trade TH's for them. Today ?? I wouldn't think many people would as like you stated its all Plastic and many people like myself are steering away from HW's due too they make Plastic Diecast Cars and I buy Diecast not Plastic. If I want Plastic I will save all my Clam Shells that the Cars came packaged in. :tongue: Now all you have to do is find the Diecast one. You shouldn't have any problems as that one was much easier to locate over the Plastic one.

Thanks for sharing and bringing back some memories. :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, that's the thing...Mattel has been scoping out what people really think, -with their wallets-, with series like the black box collector's sets and Classics 1-5, Dragstrip Demons, Larry's Garage, etc

I love the Classics, I think that was the best thing Hot Wheels has done since they first came out. I was seriously bummed to hear that series 5 is the end of the road for this line.
I wish there were more people that really liked, -meaning actually spent their money on-, the all diecast stuff. Then I could believe all the arguments. But the market has voted with its dollars, and it wants the cheap less than a buck stuff. The only way to get that now is with plastic.
I feel your pain.I agree with you about the classics. Some of my favorites. I never understood why they did not sell. And I love the Larry's Garage series as well. The DD series I do not care about. Just not into those kinds of vehicles.

I think the problem is that it is mostly parents buying these cars for their children. And they are certainly going to buy a car that costs less than a dollar than one that costs $3 to give to their children. I mean if you watched a kid rip open a package and then slide the car down a sidewalk, which car would YOU buy him? That and the fact that you have JL,GL, Jada,Maisto,etc. also competing for the collectors die-cast dollars. I just think that other companies make a higher quality $3 car than HW. Add to that the fact that the HW collectors really want, the TH's, can not be had by the average collector. Almost all are scooped up by scalpers. so they spend their money elsewhere. It all translates to poor sales for HW's,except the mainlines that the parents are mostly buying.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts