Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I might somehow be able to wire one of these old school steering wheel controllers (thanks joez) to one lane of my 2 lane layout (all Tomy connections). I'd like to see if I can run a pace car or ghost driver in one lane by using one of these. I'd like to keep using the Tomy plugs though. The other lane I myself will run on at the same time using a BRP90 controller. Just trying to make things more interesting by running laps and having another car moving around the layout. I have 2 of these old controllers (1-tan, 1-grey)and both have the brake and reverse switch. I am using a Tomy wall wart. How would I wire this up? I posted a drawing below of how I imagined it could be done, but can it be as easy as this though?? From what I remember, the old power pack runs through the controller. Anyone ever try this with new age connectors? I'm not a wiring savvy person, so I welcome any help you can provide.

thanks much...dave

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
It works! I have an Aurora Tub Track and I use steering wheel controllers and magnet cars to warm up the track.

Marty

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
I've done it too. I had a camera truck running as the "ghost car" and I drove a tjet just a little ahead of it to get it on video. I actually just got a couple more of the steering wheel controllers in a box of old Atlas track... sorry I don't remember exactly how to wire it up, but it can be made to work...

--rick

·
Registered
807 Posts
That will work ...We have done it at the track to let cars run on the track.This would draw more people in to see what was going on and mostly would join in.

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well alright then....

I'm gonna give it a try this wekend. No more turning laps as the Maytag Repairman.....thanks guys. :thumbsup: tjd

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
I use a version of this as well. A Russkit trigger is wired in series with the old wheel 'troller hidden under the layout. It works well for training the youngsters. With some slight of hand the resistance can be quickly adjusted incrementally. As their skill level improves, grampa ramps up the current.

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
I;ve done it to. I couldn;t make the reverse work, but the brakes worked fine. It;s easy, fear not. If I remeber correctly, one wire goes to one of the top screws and another goes by the brake.. it;s been a few years since I broke it out, so I may be wrong. just keep trying different connections, you'll find it fast enough

1 - 7 of 7 Posts