Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why would all of a sudden my shortcuts on my desk top stop working? The icons do not show either. Just the Microsoft "Flying Window".

I tried rebooting but that didn't help. Any ideas?

Thanks
Rick

[email protected]

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
PENSNO1 said:
Why would all of a sudden my shortcuts on my desk top stop working? The icons do not show either. Just the Microsoft "Flying Window".

I tried rebooting but that didn't help. Any ideas?

Thanks
Rick

[email protected]
Maybe something corrupted your hard drive. I'd start by running scan disk to check for hardware errors. If this comes up with problems then it's time to replace the hard drive.

If not then try reinstalling windows operating system.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve. But, would reinstalling the Windows OS mean reformatting the disk and losing everything? Starting from scratch and having to reinstall all the programs?

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
PENSNO1 said:
Thanks Steve. But, would reinstalling the Windows OS mean reformatting the disk and losing everything? Starting from scratch and having to reinstall all the programs?
No, try reinstalling without formatting. This will repair damaged files but keep all your data and other programs intact.

The bigger problem is determining what caused the damage and prevent this from happening again. Hardware failure is one possibility. A virus is another.

After checking for hardware errors (scan disk utility) check for viruses. Make sure your virus definition file is current.

Then reinstall windows without formatting. Just insert the windows installation CD. It'll ask you if you want to "reinstall or repair a current installation" or some such thing (I'm not sure what version of windows you're running).

As a last resort format the drive.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steve,
I'm running Windows 98. (My computer is 5 years old) I haven't had any problems, so I saw no reason to upgrade to 2000 etc. I have System Mechanic Pro 4 on my computer. It uses Panda anti-virus and Spyhunter. I know I have an adware (clientman) that I can't seem to get rid of.

I will run the scan disk first (if I can find it) and let you know what happens.

Thank you for all your help

Rick

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
from "my computer" right click on your "C" drive and a panel will pop up. Select "properties" and another window will open. Select "tools" and click on "error checking". If it finds errors you have the option of isolating these and continue using the hard drive, but it'll start losing more chunks as time goes on.

To reinstall win98 may be difficult... in addition to reinstalling win 98 you'll have to download all the updates to "fix" it. I think MS is still supporting this system even though the announced it would no longer.

It's time to upgrade operating systems. But also 5 years is about average life for a hard drive.

a new hard drive might be an expensive upgrade; the older machines don't support large drives (more than 2 gig?) without the additional purchase of a controller card. Sometimes it's possible to format multiple partitions using software by the HD manufacturer.

Here are some nice roomy drives. I'd probably get a controller card to support a newer larger drive assuming your mainboard doesn't. Then there's the issue of whether you have available PCI slots for the controller.

If you do it yourself it's under $125 (or a hundred if you go for a smaller drive). Plus $85 for winXP. But this is $200 that might be better spent on a new machine (you'll end up doing that anyway...).

Sorry, this is probably making you crazy, but it sounds like your PC is at or near the end of its useful life. A new computer will run between $400 and $500.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts