Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if any body who owns a 4x4 short course truck wiether it be ofna or traxxas,has anyone had problems with the standard 540 size brushless motors i have seen the brands are switching to the bigger HV SIZE motors .I was just wondering why they switched and if the 540 size mottors are going to hold up due to the short course trucks being a little heavier than a regular 1/10 4x4 buggy.please let me know your thoughts and experiences i don't know what to buy.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
I don't know if "hold up" is the best terminology but I have a Novak 8.5 in a slash and even with a heatsink on the motor and a fan blowing continuously on the heatsink I cannot run a fully charged LiPo all the way down without thermalling the motor in warm weather. I think the Novak design 540 size motors cannot cope with the additional weight of the slash over the cars/trucks they were originally designed for. (At least not cope when running the cars fast - I am sure I could gear down enough to keep the motor cool, but then it would be slow.) The VXL motor is an entirely different design and probably won't have problems (or Traxxas wouldn't have put it in the Slash 4X4).

I think the Novak HV style motors would be a good choice for these vehicles. I have a HV7.5 that I run (on 3S) in a CRT.5 conversion (a little heavier than a Slash) and it barely gets warm while moving the car plenty fast.

Actually the Novak HVs may be a little overkill. It would be nice if they came out with something halfway between the current 540 size and the HV size. But that's not likely.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
After a few test runs on asphalt, I have no doubt the Traxxas brushless system will have no troubles. It can break all 4 wheels loose on asphalt. On dirt which is where mine will run 95% of the time, it will have no problems. I think though I will add a cooling fan to the esc. It can get really hot and humid here in Jersey during the racing season in July and August. A little added protection cant hurt. Li Ta-man said, its a totally different design that other brushless systems. Its made right for the Slash.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
short course motors

on the slash you are talking about is the shaft standard size,and are you getting good run times without the thermal kicking in .i have seen a youtube video of the ofna 4x4 shortcourse truck breaking rotor shafts of the mamba 1/10th scale motor.i guess some people are running standard 1/10th and some are running the bigger 1/8th scale motors.i would bet it depends on the driver and the track ,not so much the motors.atleast i hope i just want to buy the right one once,not get one and wish i had bought the other you know.
thanks for the feedback guys and please keep it coming:thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts