Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday we kicked off the 7th annual season of the South-West Tour Oval Series at the all new Bending Corners R/C Raceway - Carpet track in Southern California.

This also marked our introduction to the B/L4300 class, plus we allow the MOD B/L's to run w/ the Brushed Mod's.

TQ in 4300 was

94/5:01.35 - Set by Erik Steenhoven

while the MOD TQ was set by Nic Case at

94/5:01.35

IDENTICAL times...both runs were AWESOME to watch...

Nic runs a MAMBA MAX B/L system.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kenwood,

ALL of our classes run 5 minutes...and the MOD guys are still OUT OF CONTROL Fast~

I'd personally like to take STOCK to 7 minutes or a certain # of laps that would equal close to 7 minutes in the mains.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Seems to me that would make batteries an even bigger deal than they already are... :confused: I dunno... Ive seen guys have a hard time making 4 minutes with a 3.5 motor..

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
swtour said:
TQ in 4300 was

94/5:01.35 - Set by Erik Steenhoven

while the MOD TQ was set by Nic Case at

94/5:01.35

IDENTICAL times...both runs were AWESOME to watch...
I'm going to guess that this track is around 120' runline, short straights and tight corners?

On tracks this size you'll find that the mods will be faster on the straight but almost stop to make the corner and the 4300 is be quicker in the corners. Put the same TQs on the track at the same time and you'll notice this right away. Another reason the mods probably weren't much faster is because everyone was probably geared to make 5 mins. 4300 can use the same gearing for 4 or 5 mins maybe even 7.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
On a small track you shouldn't have a problem making 5 min even with a 3.5, On the smallest track we've run the BRL the Mods were still .25 ave a lap faster than the 4300 TQ, But that track was still much bigger than that 82 laps in 5 min 4300. Most likely the mod cars couldn't use the power or as Z-main said the corners were so tight you almost have to stop.

I'd say GB was 145ft approx and in mod w/ a 3.5 we had 100-120sec at 30amps in 4min. The hardest track on RT was Cinnci, but the bite in the track was none existent and we spun the tires off the corner terribly, lots of wasted juice when that happens.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Kenwood,

Battery run time...is a STATE OF MIND as far as I'm concerned.

Since I've been running the lower level MOD. class for over 15 years...and when I started running mod we were using 1400's...I don't much buy into ...YOU CAN'T MAKE TIME ....~ PULL LESS AMPS = MAKE MORE TIME, that being said...I did dump in about 4 minutes...but I was running old 3800's..and it was my very first run w/ a B/L Mod 5.5

Todays mod drivers seem to try to pull what 55-60 average amps in a 4 minute run...and/or 40-45 (maybe even more) in a 5 minute run...

Also, so many of the MOD guys we race with have mixed feelings on MORE SPEED vs. FUN FAST Racing. (Some want every race to be like a INSANE SPEED RUN, other like racing Door to Door..yet still running faster than Stock..)

I would actually like to do a 6 minute MOD class...for those of us who like long runs instead of Sprint runs.

As far as the 2 classes we had having identical times...a) it was a BRAND NEW First time run carpet track. b) except Erik Steenhoven & Larry Ruby, not too many of these guys have run more than 2 carpet races in several years.

Each run was faster...I believe the MOD guys would have picked up another lap...maybe 2 if they would have had more than 3 chances to go really fast. I think they could go 20 laps per minute fairly easy....once we get a couple races in this place.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Z-Main,

You are correct...the mod cars RIPPED UP the straights...and Erik and a couple others were VERY VERY Smooth in the 4300... the MOD CARS would have plowed the 4300 cars if both ran together.

Stock was running 3.6-3.7 lap times
4300 3.1's - 3.3's
Mod 3.0's - 3.3's...and not nearly as consistant as the 4300, with a harder drop off.

We are not use to running this short of a track..and some of the guys were amazed that they ran less than .1 second a lap slower than TQ yet they were 3-4 laps off the pace.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I was at this race and ran a 3.5 in mod. It was very hard to get used to such a short track. That being said, in one of my heat races I was on a 97/5:00 lap pace. I had a radio problem with my Spektrum that took me out with about a minute to go. As far as the turns, my mod car was super smooth and fast in the turns. A little more pracitice at this track and we'll be at 99 or 100 laps easy! If you were hard on the throttle, you dumped. This track demanded that you be super smooth with the gas if you wanted to make 5 min. It was fun running 3 sec laps! We were all getting a bit dizzy on the drivers stand!

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...I really thought Scot would have TQ too..his 3.5 was flyin and dialed.

Can't wait to do it again...100 lapper - HERE WE COME~

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
LARCGuy said:
It was fun running 3 sec laps! We were all getting a bit dizzy on the drivers stand!
Try running 2.8 & 9's with a 4300 on 100' footer.

105 laps in 5 minutes. Its like flying jet fighters in a Gym, but it's fun.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
swtour said:
What kind of roll out are you using for a 100 ft. 4300 run?
One of my local tracks is 104'. The rules require the stock rotor only and I was rolling out at a 2.23. The motor was coming off at 165 degrees. I ran 2.9s and 3.0s most of the race but with traffic and a 6.2 lap I ran 78 4:00.32.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts