Hobbyist Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was shocked today to see on a suppliers web site a new 1/4 motor for sale at a price of $525.00
I am not bashing the supplier but just can not believe any one would spend that for a motor !!!...

·
Registered
321 Posts
I was shocked today to see on a suppliers web site a new 1/4 motor for sale at a price of $525.00
I am not bashing the supplier but just can not believe any one would spend that for a motor !!!...
Man you are easily shocked!!! I have paid $300 - $400 for a nitro motor that lasts a fraction of the time!

Plus, I don't think a price for a motor on a web site deserves a thread.

·
Banned
3,672 Posts
I am sitting here thinking Man it is a good thing you do not fly 90 size heli's Thats nothing for an engine lol. I think you guys in 1/4 scale land need to wake up a little and look at how good you really have it.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man you are easily shocked!!! I have paid $300 - $400 for a nitro motor that lasts a fraction of the time!

Plus, I don't think a price for a motor on a web site deserves a thread.
As I stated in my first post I am not bashing you or the builder or anyone that spends that for a motor I just can not believe that price, I guess I have a hard time understanding what someone could do to a motor that would make it cost that much more than the $195.00 each plus $45.00 for a Carb I paid for the last 4 motors I bought in January 2012 and am winning races with...
Feel free to give me a call 262-497-1852 if I have upset you in any way.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am sitting here thinking Man it is a good thing you do not fly 90 size heli's Thats nothing for an engine lol. I think you guys in 1/4 scale land need to wake up a little and look at how good you really have it.
I agree with you on this point, but this aint 90 size Heli's is it...
Lets talk apples and apples...

·
Registered
415 Posts
you can get them from DDM(daves discount motors) for 200.00 and have a very competitive motor..So why spend over $500? we all talk about how tight the economy is yet we are going to spend that much for a motor

·
Registered
441 Posts
Compare apples to appples? How about this. I used to run 1/8 nitro offroad for years and have spent hundreds and hundreds on .21 nitro motors. Some last a few gallons others last several. And I ran the OS speed. One of the TOP race nitro engines out there. Price 499.99 on amain hobbies. And thats just one motor. I have had several different brands as well. So to spend it in 1/4 scale isnt really that bad for a higher end race engine if it can knock tenths off and last for years. Which they do. 1/4 scale needs to wake up and realize the guys going fast arnt using vintage and cheap servos, radios, batteries, motors, or cars.... And with that said I WILL join the PREDATOR club in due time. Only because I drove one on the clock and I was faster then with my car . And my car is becoming the vintage old school type. Works good but if people want to stay up front they need to stay up front with the equipment they use. Not saying everyone feels the same and I know theyres guys that will disagree. But the results of races speak for them selves.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Compare apples to appples? How about this. I used to run 1/8 nitro offroad for years and have spent hundreds and hundreds on .21 nitro motors. Some last a few gallons others last several. And I ran the OS speed. One of the TOP race nitro engines out there. Price 499.99 on amain hobbies. And thats just one motor. I have had several different brands as well. So to spend it in 1/4 scale isnt really that bad for a higher end race engine if it can knock tenths off and last for years. Which they do. 1/4 scale needs to wake up and realize the guys going fast arnt using vintage and cheap servos, radios, batteries, motors, or cars.... And with that said I WILL join the PREDATOR club in due time. Only because I drove one on the clock and I was faster then with my car . And my car is becoming the vintage old school type. Works good but if people want to stay up front they need to stay up front with the equipment they use. Not saying everyone feels the same and I know theyres guys that will disagree. But the results of races speak for them selves.
You lost me after you said your getting a Predator.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I think the problem is in the fact that most new people think that in 1/4 scale that the motors are box stock. That is what draws a lot of people to 1/4 scale. "The level playing field" They think that you are supposed to call a supplier and buy a motor take it out of the box and go race. But today that is definetly not the case. I've also seen a motor out of the box run better than a "worked" engine. If your lucky enough to get one hold on to it.
They're still a lot cheaper than nitro. We used to pay $500 for modified .12's to run dirt oval, but that's what you had to do to be competitive.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'll be one of those to disagree. Old doesn't have to mean slow. Maybe box scores don't speak that.:freak: I enjoy the level of competition with the modified, but I'll stick with my sprint car.

·
Registered
441 Posts
LOL! I knew you would disagree. Im not saying old is slow at all. Obviuosly! I just know how the mod felt over mine when I drove it. Liked it. But it wouldnt be till next year before I got one. The thing is I do like the LOOKS of my SPRINT CAR. Thats what I would miss.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.