Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What side shock lengths do you all run? I'm switching from the Associated VCS to the CRC Durashocks, and the CRC's seem a little longer. I'm also running a KSG Gen 2 on a paved oval w/ caps (if any of this matters in determining length). When do you measure the length..fully built without springs?

While we're talking about shock lengths...what center shock length? I'm running the shock mount in the forward holes (HPI shock w/ 36mm shaft). Thanks!

Paul

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Paul - The best way I have found to set up side shocks is to assemble them at what seems to be the right length. Put them on the car w/out springs and adjust the length so the shocks are each centered in there travel. Also make sure the lengths are equal.
Center shocks vary with different track conditions but generally if its long enough to allow the pod to droop downward a bit it should be ok.

Doug p

·
Registered
405 Posts
Just what he said, but I’ve have found it to be a little easer to place your car on a flat surface so that the rear pod is perfectly flat/level with the chassis, and then adjust your shocks. With the KSG they have the button head screws that stick out the bottom of the rear pod, for this I have found that 2 pencils placed in between the screws running from your rear pod to your chassis, use the pencils as a level, and then adjust shocks. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
CUrcracer said:
What side shock lengths do you all run? I'm switching from the Associated VCS to the CRC Durashocks, and the CRC's seem a little longer. I'm also running a KSG Gen 2 on a paved oval w/ caps (if any of this matters in determining length). When do you measure the length..fully built without springs?

While we're talking about shock lengths...what center shock length? I'm running the shock mount in the forward holes (HPI shock w/ 36mm shaft). Thanks!

Paul
Paul go with the IRS side shocks their even better than the CRC's.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Craig...just got the CRC conversions...not looking to switch before they even run on the track. I was looking for something other than the star clip associated vcs shocks, and liked the ease of switching to the CRCs...plus I had heard a lot of good things about them.

What shock lengths do you run on your HD? I know you were looking at moving your center shock mount to the foward holes if you haven't already. If you've already moved it, how'd it work out?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another question: Is the CRC side shock longer than the Associated using all the same ballcups, shock shafts, etc? The only difference is the shock body.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
I didn't move the shock foward,can't find a shaft long enough,I'm at 3.11 overall length right now it's as long as I can get it without it coming apart.The CRC's are good but I like the IRS's even better.Use the Assoc B-3 ballcups that's what comes in the kits.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got a 2 pack of 36mm (approx. 1.42") HPI shock shafts from Tower Hobbies. I'm at 3.175" with room to go longer or shorter if needed. If you still can't find any longer shock shafts by Sat. I may part with the extra that I have. I'm going to try the foward shock mount position Sat. and see how it goes....actually everything I'm trying Sat. will be new to me since I haven't raced in a while. :)

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
pepe tower hobbies has the shafts you need for the tamiya shock

hpi part # 6872 47mm shaft discontinued
hpi part # 6876 55mm
hpi part # 6809 36mm

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Does anyone know the length of the B-3 ballcups that pepe mentions below? If you've got them on your car, would you please measure them for me?

Craig: Are you saying use the B-3 ballcups on both ends?

Thanks!

Paul

pepe said:
I didn't move the shock foward,can't find a shaft long enough,I'm at 3.11 overall length right now it's as long as I can get it without it coming apart.The CRC's are good but I like the IRS's even better.Use the Assoc B-3 ballcups that's what comes in the kits.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Craig, if you've got them (B-3 ballcups) on your car, would you measure them w/ the calipers and let me know how long they are. I've got several unmarked sets of ballcups in my parts box, but I don't know which of them, if any, are the B-3 ballcups. Thanks.

Paul

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
??

Does the .170" still apply, I believe that was for the Assoc. orginail shock.

With the crc and irs shocks with the thread on caps in place of the white star snap in thing, do the .170 still hold true?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts