Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is gonna sound odd, but what is the Shock Factor? Is it a little dune buggy, a condensed Formula racer, dirt tracker, or what? Considering the scale of the driver it would be quite small in 1:1. Cute little thing, but it kinda bothers me to not know what I'm looking at. Thanks for any identifying info.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Yep, Shock Factor was out a few years and several variations before Toy Story was released to the public.

Shock Factor is a dune buggy as far as I can tell, they simply made it look somewhat like an open wheel formula racer. Its probably the wing that throws people off, sandbuggies really have no need for a wing.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Shock Factor is supposed to be modeled after Tyco's Aftershock R/C buggy. Right? It was out long before 1992. It was made up to look like the Toy Story R/C when it was included in a Toy Story set. That's probably why Pablodragon thought it was inspired by the Pixar movie. It's really difficult to find any history on this casting.

·
Registered
674 Posts
According to my Tomarts, it was released in 1992 in the blue card series as #141. There was the black w/ pink sides (varying shades) and the bit more difficult to find black w/ red sides.

I am not sure about the Tyco r/c buggy, it is certainly possible.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Yup. Introduction was 1992. I figured because of Hot Wheels clever way of naming some of its castings after their inspirations, the Tyco Aftershock wouldn't be a stretch. I do remember reading it somewhere, but I can't confirm that. In 1999, HW even tampoed it with "TYCO R/C" for a TRU exclusive series called Timeless Toys II. Again, very difficult to confirm the history of the casting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts