Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we've all heard of the Enterprise-D looking like a flattened spoon and the Defiant looks like a turtle.

What about other ships in the science fiction universes?

To me, the Serenity looks like a fishing reel.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Well, Voyager looked like an upside down spoon.

The E.T ship looked like a christmas ornament.

The Battlestars look like "gators".

the whitestars looked like plucked chickens

Minbari ships look like fish.

Shadows ships look like bugs

Then there was this ship from the movie "battle beyond the stars" when observed from the front looked like.. uh well...almost indecent

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Of course, many science-fiction craft have an intentional resemblance to familiar objects or animals, e.g., the manta-ray shapes of the Martian ships from the 1953 War of the Worlds and the Flying Sub. Uncle Martin's ship from My Favorite Martian looks like a cross between a Jaguar E-type (which partially inspired the design) and a bedroom slipper.

we've all heard of the Enterprise-D looking like a flattened spoon and the Defiant looks like a turtle.
Did someone say "turtle"?

Attachments

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
The Ancients ship in "Stargate: Universe" looks like some sort of Medieval weapon, some sort of glaive, I think it's called? Or a odd-shaped meat cleaver?

The first Asgard ships we see in "Stargate:SG-1" sort of look like a boomarang.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Ancients ship in "Stargate: Universe" looks like some sort of Medieval weapon, some sort of glaive, I think it's called? Or a odd-shaped meat cleaver?
Labrys?

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
The 'thermal pod' from Buckaroo Banzai was very much some kind of shellfish. The one from Lizardo's ship looked like a blending of a seashell and a hand.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
The Defiant is based on a shampoo bottle, a joke that backfired on the person that made the pitch model. He made the model using a shampoo bottle as a base as a joke, and those making the decision loved it, to his chagrin.

The Flying Sub is based on a Stingray, not a Manta ray. I read once that the Spindrift is actually upside down from the way it was designed. The designer brought Irwin Allen the model, who took one look at it, and turned it over, saying this is how it will be.

David.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
The 1954 British talk-fest Devil Girl From Mars had one of the silliest-looking flying saucers ever. It looked like a sink strainer combined with part of a water pump. Must have been designed by a plumber.

Slave One- Elephant Head
The Slave One design was inspired by the shape of a street lamp.
The Flying Sub is based on a Stingray, not a Manta ray.
Well, one ray looks pretty much like another.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Millennium Falcon- Hamburger or sunfish.
Klingons- Insects
Romulans- Birds.
Star Fleet- Kinda human, with a head, body and limbs. Except Reliant.
Secondary Ships in Star Wars were designed after things like an outboard motor or a pickle.
The Lexx- an insect mutated into a starship.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts