Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found this forum!

I created a wood model ship kit many years ago. During the intervening years, I'd given away my prototypes, and currently have so many projects going on, I don't have time to create a new one. However I DID have enough time to create a ship in a bottle from my old plans out of cardboard, and created a video of the process. Am now in process of weathering the model. So far all edges have been scraped, wood has been sanded, a waterline has been added, and I'm in the process of building the main winch, anchor, ropes and cleats. If anyone wants to see the final version, just let me know.

Link to Youtube

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot to mention.... If anyone wants the plans to this (free), just let me know. I'd love to see how other versions turn out.

Alan

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
I was "on board" so to speak until you started sewing the sails. Brought back flashbacks of years ago when I fully rigged a model of the Cutty Sark . Those were big threads compared to what you had to use. Thanks for sharing. What kind of wood did you use ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really debated about just gluing the spars to the sails, but had extra time, so went for broke. lol. Most of the wood used was just scraps of basswood from my hobby drawer. The spars were toothpicks I snuck out of the kitchen, and masks were dowels (basswood, if I recall, but might have been a harder wood).

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
I just discovered Basswood from a friend of mine who is a master carver. By that time I'd already "whittled" 10 cars. Basswood is as big a game changer for me as was MILLIPUT, Super Glue or Aircraft Stripper. This project of yours is really cool. Thanks for the video. I know from experience tagging a "how to" onto the work really lengthens the time it takes to finish out a project. I've got patience. But messing with those little threads puts your patience into the category of Job.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love working with basswood. It sure doesn't stain well, but for internal parts or parts which will be painted, it's fantastic. And to your point, I had no idea how long it would take to make the video. I'd intended on posting a project every week or so when I started. I'm a little older and wiser now. lol

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
I've been thinning down MILLIPUT to a paste and brush paint it onto the pinewood cars I've been "carving." It seals the wood. A light sanding; after it dries a couple of hours; smooths everything down even more. With the discovery of Basswood I think the painted finishes will be even better. And anything I want a high gloss on gets a coat of PLEDGE when done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts