Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that with handling, the sharp corners on styrene parts tend to round or soften.

In particular, I recently (two years ago) snapped apart the two halves of an Enterprise secondary hull that I had glued together (in the eighties), and they mated perfectly when I then dry-fitted the two parts together -- almost no visible seam. However, after a couple of years of occasional handling, the sharp edge of the seam has rounded or chamfered, so there's a shallow trench when the parts are mated. This will be no problem to fill, but I'm wondering about other parts. I like to see a sharp edge on parts to increase the scale effect (as long as paint still sticks to the edge), so I'd like to know how to prevent or fix this softening or chamfering.

1. Does this rounding also happen with cast resin parts?

2. Can I run a thin bead of CA along an edge, then file/sand to give a sharp edge that will hold up? Any issues with this method?

3. What type/brand of paint is more likely to stick to a sharp edge, and which is most likely to rub off a sharp edge?

4. If I rarely handle a finished model (say, with cotton gloves), will the edges stay sharp?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah. Go figure. Maybe I need some moisturizer.

I'll try to upload an image of the mated pieces, post-softening.

Nevertheless, I'd like my 1/12 2001 pod to look as good as possible, so I'd like to make the edges as sharp as (reasonably) possible for scale effect.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts