Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has came across any shady brushless stuff yet.

Just read a thread about a guy wanting to know how to advance a arm and made me think. :freak:

Jake

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Well I got all excited, thought you were gonna give us the inside scoop or something lol.

To add his question...how much truth is there about the multiple motors needed..."they all run different" the critics say. ??

Will be interesting to see how brushless goes at the birds.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
As far as 1 motor being faster than another, I dont really think thats the case. You certainly dont need 5 motors. I've had 3 different motors over the last year and they all run the same as far as I can tell. The thing I will say is if they get hot repeatedly say 190+ you might cause damage to them, but this isnt much of a problem with the sintered rotors anymore. What I do think matters is finding a rollout that works for you with your motor, I think they are a little different that way. For instance 1 motor you might need a 2.60 rollout, but with another you might need a 2.55. to run the same time. The line you drive, and how much you lift, and your setup factors in alot to what rollout you need to be running. As far as the timing being advanced, the difference is pretty negligble from what I have seen.

·
Go Fast, Turn Left
4,799 Posts
I would have to agree with Hays Jr. I run 13.5 and one of the guys I run with stays real close to a 2.60 rollout. My car seems slow or overgeared with anything over 2.52.
Chassis Setup and drivng style/consistency is everything in my opinion.

·
Registered
500 Posts
you can be 1.5 teeth high or low if your car is RIGHT.
this class is for car tuning and driving, too much emphasis on the motors.

no need for 4-5 motors. carry a spare if you like, but if I burn one up then I will buy another.

·
Premium Member
6,312 Posts
erock1331 said:
Is there a way to dyno a BL motor ?
I think it was RC Driver who tested it on a Robitronic but I cant remember for sure.
Yeah you can dyno them...you just need to have it connected to the ESC and power the ESC through the dyno.

RC

·
Premium Member
6,312 Posts
Porksalot4L said:
what does dynoing a brushless motor help? does it give numbers that you can compare better or worse?
I've never dyno'd my brushless motors but I know a few guys that have. Yeah it will give you numbers to compare, but from the people that have dyno'd them, I'm hearing that there is not much varience among them. So I guess I can't really say what help it would be.

RC

·
Go Fast, Turn Left
4,799 Posts
Like Mr. Wolfman and RoadSplat and me and a ton of others have stated ad-nauseum. The difference between motors seems to be so minimal that the only way to go faster is to have a killer setup.
And nothing will beat a real good wheel with a killer setup.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
i wonder if some of the really fast stock guys that know all the secrets with the stockers dont like brushless because now there advantage is less with brushless?

or any of the brush motor classes. if you have motor building talent you must have some advantage over someone else. in brushless its looking much less of a factor. still gotta wheel the car well and know how ot set up the cars. thats always constant

·
Go Fast, Turn Left
4,799 Posts
That is a good point Porksalot4L. I guess I never thought of that. I was never much of a motor builder anyway. As a matter of fact I did not race pancars until brushless started here in Michigan a couple years ago.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
at our local track theres a few guys that watched my buddy dale with his brushless pan car running and got pretty interested in pan cars cause of it. they are mostly legend and spec racers. so maybe it could help the class grow? anything is possible

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Porksalot4L said:
i wonder if some of the really fast stock guys that know all the secrets with the stockers dont like brushless because now there advantage is less with brushless?
Hey Joe, good point but I gotta stick up for the fast stock guys.
I think in stock racing, the motor means the least cause you dont have the power to dig you out if your car is wrong. So it forces you to really nail a setup.

I think a fast stock guy would really do well in BL racing.
I know Jody Miller picked it up recently and made the show at the Birds.

Some stockers might be better than others but I never thought there was any real tricks with them. Make sure the hoods are cleaned, aligned, fresh brushes, bushings broke in, keep em clean, zap the magnets every now and then and run them alot and see which seem to run better and keep those as your race motors.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
what does dynoing a brushless motor help?
When I was thinking about a Dyno for B/L, it is to have a more exact RPM number based on input voltage and amp load...(same reason I dyno Brushed Motors)

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
i know eric. cream rises to the top! i just like having 1 less varable. alot of the guys at my track feel that way because we are very competative with eachother. then almost any out of towner comes and beat us. lol its disheartinging to some and at times can make you feel its a motor thing. especially after i heard about the possibility of some using diff magnets. i woudlnt even know how to change that stuff if i wanted to. how do you get it in and out? i dunno who thought of this lol. must of been someoen smarl!

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Porksalot4L I know what you mean about the out of town guys kicking butt when they come to your track. It was the same way with me years ago before I did a lot of traveling; the out of town racers would come in and clean our clocks and I never understood why at the time. After all I raced there every week and had “the” setup! What I found out was that they had no pre conceived notions to what “the” setup was so they tried things that I wouldn’t and by the time they left, “the” setup was a lot different from what I was using.

It was only when I started traveling that I really started to learn about setups. When I go to a new track, I only had a few hours to learn what the “home boys” had weeks to try. Sort of puts things in a different prospective. The biggest one thing that I found out was that I never strayed too far away from “standard” tuning and that usually, odd setups with special springs or tires that people would say “only works at this track”……..were usually wrong.

The best advice I could give anyone that feels like they have their car as good as they can get it is to take a weekend and go to another track. Scrap all of your notions of what works at your track and try to make it work there. You will probably learn a thing or two. After 20 years, I still learn things when I go off.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts