Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We talk about set ups all the time,change this,change that,but don't we talk about what other changes you have to make along with these to make them effective,my question is, what other changes do you have to make to go with a certain say weight change,spring change,pre load change etc etc? The reason I am asking is because one change at a time doesn't seem to work, it only gets you out in left field!

·
Registered
223 Posts
You have to start with a good basic setup on the car. If you are 2 laps off the pace changing 1 spring or adding or subtracting wieght from LR is most likely not going to get you 2 laps!! We make 1 change at a time so that we can see how it effects the car. If you are close to what everyone else is running you make small changes to pick up that 1 tenth if you are 2 laps off you make wholesale changes. .

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I realize this,but I was thinking about what other changes are required when you make say a spring change,a height change etc etc?

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
larry big johns said:
You have to start with a good basic setup on the car. If you are 2 laps off the pace changing 1 spring or adding or subtracting wieght from LR is most likely not going to get you 2 laps!! We make 1 change at a time so that we can see how it effects the car. If you are close to what everyone else is running you make small changes to pick up that 1 tenth if you are 2 laps off you make wholesale changes. .
A good basic setup is a neutral setup (stock setup) that comes with your car.

The hard part is knowing what your car is doing going into the turn, middle turn and comming off of the turn, then desiding on the change.

Making one change at a time, test on the track to see if improves or not.

It just takes track time! :cool:

·
Registered
76 Posts
i hope i dont steal your thread but im new to oval and bought a used car that didnt have any paperwork or anything so i have no way of knowing what a neutral setup is, can somebody tell me what tires and springs i should be starting with.
thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MIDWESTRC said:
Pepe, you got mail. Hope that helps :thumbsup:
Thanks Steve,that will help a ton,I was just trying to get some info on changes to make as a package not just one at a time,but I will have to go back to one at a time I guess,no biggie,it's 80 degree's here today so it will be a good day to get some track time in hopefully.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
60 HERE TODAY!!! Snow is melting pretty quick, hopefully we can be on caps in a month. If there is anything else you need let me know.

·
Registered
311 Posts
NO...what pepe means is something you talk a lot about in Full Size cars. When he asks about setup packages it's all preference. EXAMPLE: I like running stiff springs in the rear of the car with medium oil, and soft front springs, little softer LF than RF. thats my overall package. Some guys like Stiff front springs and softer side springs with a huge center spring and low oil. It's varies driver to driver. Example, I like aggressive caster on my LF and a little less aggressive on my RF like 0 and 1.5 (lf to rf) some guys like 1 and 3 some like 0 and 2.

What pepe is asking is what do you guys run for an overall package... it really varies on the track and maybe he could be a little more specific but ie: how stiff do some of you guys run the front and rear of your cars, what t-plates do some of you preffer, what center spring have you had the most sucess with. Thats what he was talking about I think

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
If you are off by .1 per lap it could cost you about 2 laps easy! With our track for 4 minutes that is about 2 laps without hitting the boards or getting caught by the leader which usually slows you down if you fight it. If it is 5 minutes it will be 2 to laps by getting .1 faster. Getting into the corner and maintaining speed and picking the throttle up as quick as you can will make up the .1.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts