Hobbyist Forums banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Banned
3,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
And now, the horseshoe framework (I assume this is the "extenders" that Book is talking about in the pilot), and with it, the biggest pain the keister is concluded for this kit.

A note here about the directions at this point: The two pieces that go on the bottom are the opposite of what the directions indicate. It's still not a perfect fit (no surprise there), but trying to do it according to the directions is impossible.

Best way to insert the engine cone is from this end.

Anchoring within the horseshoe is best at the blocky thingies on either side of the cone. Don't worry about the top one, since the whole thing wasn't all inside the horseshoe on the actual ship.

The main concern is to make sure it's straight and level, because it's at this point that you stick the whole thing onto the back of the cargo hold.

An extra bead of glue along that back edge, then set the whole thing aside, because now it's time for the nose and neck...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Excuse me, but are two color corrected images missing? Fuente 1 and 2?

Your build has inspired me. I haven't worked on a model in over a year and I thought a paper model would be a nice way to return. I can try correcting the images myself, but if you have them handy?

Thanks, Jennifer

PS And thanks for hosting the model in the first place. It's too bad the original website is down because I can't thank the creator.

·
Banned
3,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Those two pics are there, but they're now called "Nose and Shuttles" and "Neck".

By the way, I've got a lot more pics, which will be posted shortly.

As a preview, lemme just say that assembly of the neck needs to go mostly the opposite of the directions.

·
Banned
3,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
They're up now. Sorry 'bout that.

Back to the progress pics.

I started off putting together the neck according to the directions, only to find it increasingly difficult to fit the pieces together the further I got into it, so I printed off the two pages of those parts again and started over, this time starting from the back, where it's easier to keep things lined up.

Actually, a slight correction: I started from the middle...

...then the back...

and worked my way forward.

Okay, so there was a bit o' jumping back and forth...

The main point was to firm up the overall shape of the neck as much as possible and get all those pieces in position and not have them forced back by the front pieces being ever-so-slightly off.

Stay tuned...

·
Banned
3,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Now, we flip it back right-side-up and start firming things up a bit more. It's at this point that the bulkhead at the back of the cockpit goes in.

And now the front piece goes on...

And that, I guess, collar piece, for lack of a better term...

From there, it's time to attach the neck to the main hull...

And then that last neck piece goes in place.

That just leaves the main cabin and the shuttles.

·
Banned
3,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Now, about that cabin...

It helps if you bend back the fore and aft bits, makes it easier to work on the shuttle docking ports.

Here's the base completed...

And here's the roof...

And the whole thing put together...

And nestled into its spot...

Next, the shuttles, landing gear, solar panels, and just plain wrapping it up.

·
Banned
3,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
And now, the conclusion.

A couple of shuttles, standard short range...

And some landing gear feet (I've decided to have them retracted, so no need for the struts)...

Some of those solar panels in place, along with some extras, thanks to reprinting a couple of pages (that second attempt at the neck)...

And of course, the shuttles.

Another positive aspect of having to reprint those two pages is being able to double up the little antennae bits, reinforcing them and preventing some rather ugly curling.

And we have the landing pads in place, bringing this project to a conclusion.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Impressive!
It looks so good!:thumbsup:

This is the first time, I have ever seen a paper model built, online.

I would not have though a paper model built out of paper, instead of card stock, would work so good.

I have always used 110 weight card stock, and some times it is hard to work, on small parts. Now, because of your "class", I have learned new ways to build paper models.

As you said, and I know, if you mess up, or lose a part, you print another one. Alot easier than fixing/replacing plastic parts.

Thanks for showing how you did it!

·
Registered
581 Posts
I'm using 65lb cardstock, found it works better for things like engine bells and tubes than the 110 lb.

Also, it turns out that long wooden fireplace matches are exactly the right sizes to fit into the wings, so I improvved a quick and dirty support structure to keep the wings perfectly staight. Pic's a little washed out, but you get the idea. The added box in the middle is probably superfluous. I like to be cautious, and it helps guide the matchsticks.

Oh, and the match sticks are also the perfect size for the engine/wing connection. I'm going to try to make those pieces movable, which I think I can do...as long as I can figure out the hydraulic pieces. If not, (shrug) they'll just get glued anyway and no harm done.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
I like your tips, Dreamer! I need to get some 65lb card stock for some parts of my models. Using that and paper, my models should be easier to fit together. If possible, your box, for support is a good a good idea. Some models I build, do have support built in, some really need it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the J-pegs for printing the model, but I can't find the instructions anywhere. Does anyone have the instructions saved on their computer that you could send me, or know of a website that still has them?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have the J-pegs for printing the model, but I can't find the instructions anywhere. Does anyone have the instructions saved on their computer that you could send me, or know of a website that still has them?
I think the instructions have moved on to the third page of Capt. April's photo album. They are in Spanish, but I think it's still understandable for English speakers.

·
Registered
274 Posts
That’s a really nice looking model! I have saved a bunch of free paper models off of the net and have bought a few, just kind of nervous on trying them as it’s so different. I ran across a polish site and a German site, the work they could do with paper was incredible, it would look like a plastic model, they would even burnish in some beautiful compound curves.

For those of you that want a larger Serenity, here’s a free paper model of it that is 3ft. long! It’s been awhile since I looked at it, but I think it is just in plain white. He also has a model of the Mule that was used in the movie.

http://www.tanksandtrolls.co.uk/firefly.htm

21 - 40 of 76 Posts