Hobbyist Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new BSGalactica may not yet have yielded a ton of new model kits for us(other then some GK kits) but it certainly has breathed a tremendous amount of fresh air into the Sci-Fi genre, not to mention renewing a lot of mainstream respect in Sci-Fi too...

So while this may be a little off topic for the forum I have to ask about this...

This may be old news to many if not most here, but I just found out about it so it's new news to me...

Good News:
Battlestar Galactica has been picked up for a Fourth Season!

Bad News: Sci-Fi's only committed to 13 episodes...

Really Bad News: They don't expect the Fourth Season to start until January of 2008!!!!

Maybe the 13 episodes limitation has something to do with how they don't expect to be airing until what would normally be half-way through next season. So maybe 13 episodes makes sense there.

But why in heck will they not be airing until January of 2008?

Were they expecting to not be renewed for next season and are now hopelessly behind in writing or production capability?

Did they wait too long to approve a Fourth Season?

Is it a budgetary problem?

Anybody know anything about this?

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
I can't find the link, but I read just this last week that TNS BSG's 4th Season will now run 22 episodes.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kewl!!!

So maybe they'll also be able to start sooner then January 8th.

I'm hoping at least.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Griffworks said:
...BSG's 4th Season will now run 22 episodes.
How long will it be before all series have only 13 new episodes per season, and program time will be twenty minutes per hour? I say five years, tops... :drunk:

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
From your lips to nobody's ears, I hope.

TV series have already gone from about 25-26 hour long episodes down to about 20 hours. From about 52 minutes to about 43.5 non-commercial.

What ticks me off more than this is the 6 week or so hiatus shows take in the middle of the season.

Bad enough that all of us are usually very busy during the holidays, in the case of some series they took so darn long coming back from "hiatus" I got disgusted and too ticked off to bother caring or paying attention during their 6 week breaks.

Most notably the series Surface.

I really enjoyed the series during the first half, but they went about two solid months before restarting the series.

By that time I totally lost track of when it was coming on and was so p.o.'ed about them taking such a long break in the middle of the season(not even summer vacation!) I was so ticked I probably wouldn't have watched it even though I liked the first half.

I felt they were jerking around sci-fi fans and taking us so much for granted I didn't even want to watch the second half of a series I actually liked!

I had the same exact experience with Invasion.

I never watched the series, but I heard the same complaint about another sci-fi show that took a way too long hiatus - Threshold.

I'd say that the re-imagined BSGalatica is the only series with a long break that is worth coming back to. But even they, I've read, had a big ratings drop after their long hiatus(plus the time slot move).

I guess my main point is that the series Invasion, Threshold, and Surface have all shown that these new near-two-month mid season breaks that networks are allowing are seriously hurting both the ratings and survivability of new TV shows.

I don't know if it's because of production problems or the demands of more and more ridiculously pampered actors...

but whatever the reason, if these studios/networks don't catch a clue and REVERSE these ridiculously long mid-season breaks very few new series are going to do well and tons of seed money will be wasted.

People are going to vote with their remotes and really really rebel against most series if they don't reverse these stupidly long mid-season breaks.

In short, if they don't do the reverse of what you are predicting - ToyRoy -and give us more episodes and shorter mid-season breaks there is going to be either a big fan backlash or people are just going to stop watching most new series after the middle of the season.

There might be a few programs good enough to survive in spite of these ridiculous mid-season hiatus'es, like BSGalactica or Jericho.

But allowing series to do repeats for 6 or more weeks in the middle of the season is slowly making most TV fans more and more upset. At least it's getting this fan more and more upset.

I can only speak for myself, but based on what I've read elsewhere and on other boards I doubt that I'm alone in my opinions about these longer and longer hiatus'es.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Chuck:
I 100% agree. I've kept up with BSG because (for the most part) it's been a damned good show. My wife and I record every episode on DVR because we know we're gonna have to go back and watch a few episodes to catch up after all these "hiatuses". Any other show that pulls this kind of crap on us, we just abandon it. And we're about three inches away from abandoning BSG. Great show. We love it. But we have a life ! We can't be nailed down to our television sets, at the whim of programming suits!

On another note, I am sad that I boycotted "Threshold" because of Brannon Braga's horrible misuse of the Star Trek franchise. We should've given that show a chance, and we ST fans didn't, because we were mad at B&B over their failures with the TNG movies, Voyager, & Enterprise.

Watching Threshold on SciFi, I have begun to realize that Braga had a really brilliant idea. That show is scary, dark, and (in my opinion) reasonably believable (I can suspend my disbelief long enough to accept transporters, structural integrity fields, and replicators.... aliens sending information instead of armadas doesn't seem that great of a leap).

That's all I have to say on the subject, other than this: I'm busy building a diorama of the M5 Battle Group, after it encountered the Enterprise (run by the M5 Multitronic Unit). I will post pictures soon. The Excalibur, Potemkin, & Hood are all finished; I'm busily involved in doing up the Lexington.

We'll talk more about this later.....

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank god you've got a DVR.
At least that way you can have a life and still catch BSGalactica.

Not only did they too pull the long hiatus thing the Sci-Fi channel compounded the problem by moving the show from Friday night to Sunday night.

I've gotten the episodes via downloading from iTunes(you can get a Season Three "pass" for $34.95) And no I don't try watching them on a 2.5" IPOD screen, they are actually full SD NTSC quality resolution so I output them from my computer and hooked them up to my S-Video out and watched it on a plain old 32" flatscreen tube TV.

So the move didn't/doesn't effect me.

But I'm sure tons of people just want to crash in their beds late on a Sunday night considering they have to work in the morning.

A very intense, intellectual and emotional show like BSGalactica doesn't lend itself to semi-conscious Sunday night viewing.

Whereas a lot of people who watched on Fridays and didn't have to worry about getting up early the next day could really get pumped up and into the show to a degree you won't late on a Sunday night before the work week.

So I feel bad for a lot of fans who got the double whamy of a long hiatus and the time slot move.

Hopefully BSGalactica will last long into the future, and long hiatuses become a thing of the past. :thumbsup:

·
Oxidation Genius
31,315 Posts
I just finished watching the first season of F-Troop on DVD. There were 39 episodes that year!

TV really has gone into the crapper these days.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Chuck_P.R. said:
39 episodes!?!...
39 episodes per season was the prime-time series standard. Just think, enough new episodes for every week, for 3/4 of the year! That's only 13 weeks per year without, which covers seasonal and other special pre-emptions, and the summer rerun season!

Of course, that was murder on talent, and that's not the way. The point is, Americans of that time would be disgusted by how today's Americans bend over and take it up the pause-for-station-identification from business. They knew the airwaves and cable were theirs, and station licences were issued subject to operation in the public interest, according to specified standards.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
toyroy said:
39 episodes per season was the prime-time series standard. Just think, enough new episodes for every week, for 3/4 of the year! That's only 13 weeks per year without, which covers seasonal and other special pre-emptions, and the summer rerun season!

Of course, that was murder on talent, and that's not the way. The point is, Americans of that time would be disgusted by how today's Americans bend over and take it up the pause-for-station-identification from business. They knew the airwaves and cable were theirs, and station licences were issued subject to operation in the public interest, according to specified standards.
I agree with all of that.

However I don't think there is 1/10th the writing talent out there that there was in the 1950's and 1960's.

I base that on a couple of PBS specials I've seen on that era, one of which spent a ton of time on Rod Sterling's Twilight Zone and his less successful(for good reason) Night Gallery.

During those days tons of TV specials were based out of New York rather then Hollywood.

In those days there were tons more Broadway and off-off-off Broadway productions as there are now.

TV was not yet the Great-common-Denominator it is now.

Because TV wasn't the end all be all source for entertainment there were still tons and tons of great playrights and other writers who fought amongst one another tooth and nail for the hundreds of new productions being churned out in New York. Well trained actors/actressess were even more plentiful.

These days Broadway(nor any other major metropolis for that matter) has nowhere near the work they had before for new writers/talent.

Gone forever are the cadre of hundreds of deadline and live-tv tested great writers who had to prove themselves over and over day in and day out; that existed during the days of Texaco's Television Playhouse and Dark Shadows.

And for decades now we've been churning out American children who wouldn't recognize the titles of most of the world and western classics that we at least had to read as children.

The list of good writers grows thiner by the day as very very few new good writers have been added to the ranks. Like veterans of Normandy, with each passing day the ranks of excellent, well-trained writers are thinned time and time again as they die off.

Having said all that, BSGalactica has obviously been able to put together just such an excellent group of writers and actors.

But they seem to be working the kind of hours that spoiled European supermodels work, rather then the kind of hours a weekly Network TV show required.

Considering how all F/X seem to be CGI these days, shouldn't it be easier, cheaper and quicker to produce Sci-Fi episodes then ever before?

Shouldn't BSG be able to churn out more episodes the TOS Trek did in 1968?

Is is just that we have just now gotten to the point where CGI is believable and doable with zero physical special effects and it is too soon to be immediately reaping the benefits of quicker and lower cost production?

How long before advancements in computer technology make Sci-Fi shows tremendously cheaper and quicker to produce then was the case in the past?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey all,

I just wanted to put in my 2 cents worth. I for 1 hope they cancel the new BSG, although I still watch the new 1, i grew up with Lorne Green as Commander Adama (and Starbuck and Bommer were guys!). :thumbsup:

I really wish they would have stuck more closely to the origional, ie Where are Serena and Boxy? :confused:

This Cylon religious crap is also taxing.....When are they going to show some of the origional cylons? they claimed in the 1st season that they would, and that they are still around and "Have there purpose". :freak:

Anyhow, maybe next year it will be Battlestar 2008?? ala 1980?? haha :tongue:

Cheers!
B

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
OK Time to lock this thread before it becomes a FlameFest. Any further discussion of the show should be moved to Movies For Modelers here at Hobby Talk.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.