Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Needing to downsize my die cast car collection (various scales) as well as plastic Model kits. I have an offer to rent a small display (space wise about the size of a refrigerator) in a local Antique Mall-Flea Market. Cost is Twenty five dollars a month plus 10% of sales to the owner.

Just curious how well this will go. I figure I would stay in for at least 6 months to give it a legit chance. Not looking to make a fortune but I would like to make a profit, especially stuff that is long since been off the market. Anyone have experience with this type of selling or advice to share?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
389 Posts
Dear John:

Between 1976 and 2002,in the Los Angeles area there was a toy show/swap meet that I called George's Show because the name of the organizer of this event.I was mostly on the other side of the selling table but once I helped a dealer who I knew quite well and to see how this runs.

Because of eBay most consider this a disappearing event but there is still a pleasure to go to an event like this and see items that are no longer available and talk to the collectors and so on.

George quit because he stated that most people would buy at eBay and would not have this much money to purchases items at his show.Actually,compared with the first one I attended in 1984 when some dealers were even dealing at the parking lot,his final one in 2002 was with very few dealers and did not had this much movement albeit there was a fair amount of people in there.

I also knew this other dealer which sold many rare 1/87 scale vehicles from Russia and he would go on another events (such this show which runs two or three times a year and deals with plastic models mostly,but there are other types of models for sale as well) and I would be behind the table with him.You will have collectors which want specific items and general public which at times are informed why the prices are what you asking for (these Russian items some would go at top dollar;I got many myself,mostly buses and military vehicles) at times are not.The main deal is to keep your eyes peeled and have items that people may want to buy (on my buddy's case not always he would sell large amount of items) and I recommend if other dealers have similar issues (I was the one doing that to my buddy) and how much they are asking for.The general public will also involve infants who at times will inquire about the prices asked.I also attended behind the table on this 1/87 scale vehicle show only;here most of the attendees were collectors who understood about the items and prices and so on.

I did this long time ago (up to 2002) so I do not know what is the environment on these places any longer albeit I really think that one wants to sell their wares and receive fair prices this is the place to be as you contact people and dealers; not someone who lives and deals behind a screen.

I wish you very good luck.

Nick K

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
10% of your sales will add up if you do well. to me not worth the effort. if i were you i would do craigs list . if you do not want anyone comming to you house maybe get a storage unit and sell out of there or just do monthly garage sales to keep all of you cost . no need to give away 10% of what you sell.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
$25/mo seems cheap enough, but the 10% of sales is what will possibly kill any real "profit." Cheapest way would probably be a few Craigslist ads, highlighting some of the goodies to entice people to stop by..or a few garage sales.

·
Administrator
37,042 Posts
There are more diecast dealers showing up in our local antique/vendor mall locations all the time now. Dont know their details as to rent and % around here but it sounds reasonable. We also have a local toy each month and if you can get a table they are $20.00 for the day and no sales %s. The diecast portion is down to about 50% of the vendors since I started going about 18 months ago. My first time there it was about 90%.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have never set-up in any local antique/vendor mall locations but have browsed through them on occasion as a buyer/consumer. I think it really depends on what you have to sell and what you're looking to get out of it. For example, I'm a cheapskate of sorts with my diecast budget so in one of the antique collector co-ops or vendor mall shops or store, I'll pay roughly $2.00 a piece for Hot Wheels or Matchbox maybe slightly more. I did recall seeing some rarer Ertl licensed vehicles listed at stands for higher prices with a Fall Guy 1/64 GMC Truck listed at $35 but the most I ever bought in quantity was the $2 older issue Hot Wheels a stand put out. I might pick something as high as $5 if it is older and harder to get.

It all depends if you're willing to pay the rental fees, $25 a month isn't bad but as others pointed out plus 10% in sales. A table at a show I think still would average $25 for that day only. It is up to you mostly and what you have to sell. Unless you have a diehard collector spotting your stand wanting to pick up rarer pieces, I think most will look for the more lower priced diecast. You can always mix it up a bit, too. Just my two cents. Good luck if you choose to go ahead with your venture.

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
in the upper Midwest, at least, this seems to be a seasonal thing also

Like Fall/Winter is the times when everyone goes to these for lack of anything else to do

·
Administrator
37,042 Posts
Another venue you might consider are car shows. There is a vendor who sells diecast and other car related items at one of the monthly series of shows around the area. I also see vendors at Good Guys and other large local yearly shows across DFW. I am sure tables cost a bit more at those, but they are always being browsed by people will I am there. You might also try your local city or county annual garage sales events.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I did this for several years and did pretty well. $25 dollars for a large display case sounds pretty good to me. It totally depends on what you are selling and how popular his store is. Are you selling $4 JL's and $1 HW's or vintage Dinky's and Redlines for $100 each. If you have truly vintage or HTF stuff you should do well. If it is just regular stuff do craigslist.

Tom

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally got a spot in the Antique Mall. Has been better than I expected. Selling 1:18 & 1:24 diecast as well as Model kits. As Pablo said it does seem to be busier in the cold months when people have less to do.

One thing that does not sell is Hot wheels. I almost have to give them away. I sell them loose in sandwich bags 4 for a 1.00 and they still won't move.

Just thought I would give you guys an update. Thanks for the advice!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts