Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Hot Wheels Hardcore Collectors! My name is Adam. I am a 31 yr old husband & father of 2 kids, 2 & 1. I have been bitten by the Hot Wheels bug. My dad and my brother are huge cars guys. Dad had a 68 Hemi 440 Barracuda in his teen years, now he has 2010 Dodge Challenger RT. My brother works for FORD, thats it lol. Me.....My life was roller hockey and paintball. I was never that into cars until recently. Ive always been a late bloomer and Im the older brother! Its usually the other way around hahahaha. Someday soon, Id love to buy 2012 Mustang GT and covert it to RTR ; )

Hot Wheels craze started out very slowly. It'll be like a small, inexpensive gift that I get for my birthdays and Christmas along with other gifts. I own a 09 Lancer GTS(looks exactly like 08 EVO, FACTORY, not upgraded GTS) so I'll get 08 EVO Hot Wheels cars as a gift lol. I have 5 different ones now. I do the same for my dad, I'll get Challengers, even the 70 Challenger. Thats is his dream car but he is very very happy with 2010 version. He looking to get a second but wants it to be convertible. I found an error Dodge Challenger with different wheels on the front. I also bought the corrected version for comparison. Will posts pics below....

So, with my 1 year old son, I decided to get him a few Hot Wheel cars to liven up his room and maybe spark his interests into collecting and into cars itself. So when I go grocery shopping to ACME, they have a little section of Hot Wheels cars. I get 1 or 2 per visit. Now its becoming 2-3 per visit. Then its now 4-5 per visit!! They have a nice little rack with 2012 models as well pre 2012. It makes grocery shopping more interesting, hahaha. After this, I am now frequenting Toys R Us, Walmart, Kmart & Target. Its great! With the wife ok, I keep telling her that Im going to have a wall in my son's room dedicated with the Hot Wheels : D But, its for me too. I love doing it cuz I enjoy the chase, the finds and most importantly, learning all the Muscle cars that existed. I do not care for the Fantasy or Ferrari cars lol. If I like a certain muscle car or a certain car, I buy 2. 1 to keep in the case and maybe 1 to break out of the case if my son wants to. After all, they're only $1 !!! I do not have a Treasure Hunt/Mystery car but thats ok. I enjoy the mainstream cars as much. I know they can be bought on ebay.

My finds. I will post pics below and what stores I got it from. Kmart, I seem to do very very well there. Its located in an almost run out area. Thats my go to store. About 15 minutes from me. I havent done well with Walmart(anywhere) and stores that are located in very very middle/high class area.

I do have several questions.......

I was at Kmart, I saw Showroom Collections(PURPLE stripe) on certain cars. Are they considered "highly sought after" like Treasure Hunts? I saw an unopening video where theres a logo behind the car on the card saying that this is hard to find, keep it, so on and so on........ I saw alot there. Thats where I finally got (2) Minion Pigs, (1) Red Bird & (1) Mars Rover.

With Treasure Hunts/Mystery cars holding value, is there any value/increasing value in mainstream cars? I dont plan on ever selling but would like to know if I should keep them in the family.

Any difference in value with sealed / opened cars? I buy the sealed ones that are not banged up on the card. Ive collected many many hockey cards. I know banged up corners are not worth anything.

Why are 68 Barracudas, Ford Falcons, Dodge Dart, Super Bee, hard to find!?!?!?!

AAR Pink Cuda, I saw a Red one as an error, should have I gotten that?

Individual bubble cases, how much they run for and what brand should I get?

And now....PICS!!

Dodge Challenger Wheels Error

Christmas Gift for my brother. Loves everything about the beach & Ford.

ACME Food Store

Target

Kmart

Toys R Us

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
Welcome to Hobby Talk and welcome to the wonderful world of Hot Wheel collecting.
I'll try to answer some of your questions:
The Showroom Collection is a new series for the 2013 year. They are just plain regular mainlines. Some may be "highly sought after" depending on the casting.
As for the new Treasure Hunt logo, so far only the Bread Box has been confirmed as a Regular Treasure Hunt, a few of the $upers have been confirmed as well, they should have a TH on the body someplace to let you know that it is one.
Mainlines as a rule are only worth a buck, some may be worth a bit more but that depends on a lot of things. A different tire on a car may be worth a bit because it is different than the original release.
The reason you might not find a lot of the cars you mentioned might be because they are Muscle Cars and collectors, myself included like them, so they get picked up right away.
I hope I helped with some of your questions.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I was at Kmart, I saw Showroom Collections(PURPLE stripe) on certain cars. Are they considered "highly sought after" like Treasure Hunts? I saw an unopening video where theres a logo behind the car on the card saying that this is hard to find, keep it, so on and so on........ I saw alot there. Thats where I finally got (2) Minion Pigs, (1) Red Bird & (1) Mars Rover. That is just the new color scheme for the vehicle segments for 2013. The video probably mentioned the model being hard to find due to it just being released.

With Treasure Hunts/Mystery cars holding value, is there any value/increasing value in mainstream cars? I dont plan on ever selling but would like to know if I should keep them in the family. Not really. Mainline cars from 15 years ago go for about 50 cents-to-1 dollar at flea markets still on the card. Brand new releases will go a little more on the secondary market for those people that must have the newest thing. Then the stores will get flooded with those cars.

Any difference in value with sealed / opened cars? I buy the sealed ones that are not banged up on the card. Ive collected many many hockey cards. I know banged up corners are not worth anything. Depends on the car. Regular mainline cars won't see a change due to them flooding the market. Treasure Hunts hold a higher value, just don't plan on saving them to send your kids to college. Adult collectible lines with real rider tires will hold a higher value in the package, however.

Why are 68 Barracudas, Ford Falcons, Dodge Dart, Super Bee, hard to find!?!?!?! A couple reasons. They are popular cars. You may have missed out on earlier releases in the year that had those castings, so they are no longer on the pegs. This is a good reason to go to your local flea markets to find older vehicles.

AAR Pink Cuda, I saw a Red one as an error, should have I gotten that? Some people like to collect errors, but it's not going to change the value of the vehicle. Collect only if you like it.

:wave:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Welcom Adam, your story sounds a bit like mine, have a young son, want to get him involved with cars, start off buying a couple HW here and there, next thing you know there is a full blown HW muscle car collection going on the top of your TV stand in the "man room." I hear ya! Great fun though, and it definetly got my son more into cars. The bigest problem with that is keeping him out of "Daddy's cars." I am not saving most of them for value or anything, I just don't want them busted up too bad. Don't stress too much about those Treasure Hunts ($ecret or regular) and you will enjoy the collecting more. You will stumble across a few, don't worry, after a while they just kind of pop up when you are least expecting it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!! You're frigging awesome!!!!!!

EvilTwin - LOL. I can see why there isnt alot of muscles out there. Theyre getting snatched up before they hit the shelves. After researching quite a bit, I didnt realize these stores hold a sort of raffling system where you can buy a unopened case before it hits the shelves. Saw it on youtube. Crazy.

20JK10 - They wont be the source of income for my kids' college funds ; D and thank you very much for your input. Every bit helps.

DaggerSapper - I want to hang them in my man cave too lol. Some will. I just got back from WalMart in Willow Grove. Nice place, huge selections. They have the HW City & Showroom. I picked up 4 : ( lol As much I have alot of distaste for red cars, I had to get the Carrera GT. Magnificant Car! But the Carrera and Subaru is banged up has a dirty adhesive underneath the clear plastic so they will be opened for my kids to play with. The 62 Chevy with the surfboard in the back is another great little gift for my brother.

Theres 5 REAL cars Id like to own sometime soon.

Carrera GT (yeah right) (I got promoted as Foreman though..)
Ford Fairlane(Thunderbolt)
Mustang RTR
Mustang FastBack Highland Green
68 Barracuda / Dodge Dart (they almost looks the same lol)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also I found this at Walmart but didnt buy it. The redline tires(seen them before) is closer out the outer part of the wheels. Most of mainstream redlines them are hugging the rims. The wheels doesnt show any treads so its not a mystery or $super(dont know the difference in terms yet)

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Welcome aboard, Adam. I'll add my answers to your questions, too.

The Showroom cars are just regular ol' Mainlines. All Treasure Hunts will be "hidden" this year, but should be identifiable by a graphic that looks something like an oval with flames trailing back. (It should be somewhere on the vehicle, and it should also be fairly small.) I can't see any 2013 being exceedingly valuable in the long run unless it's some variation that was made in very small quantities. Most Mainlines will remain $1-2 cars; vintage pieces will always be more valuable, as fewer people saved them compared to today's cars.

Packaged cars generally fetch higher prices than loose ones. Errors, such as the green Challenger you posted, should remain in the package as far as I'm concerned. That'll help preserve their status as a genuine factory error, rather than one that some enterprising individual created.

I see Falcons and Darts on a regular basis, so much so that I've never worried about grabbing them right away. 'Cudas and Super Bees, though, I don't see so much. You might just have a lot of people in your area that like those particular cars, though generally speaking, muscle cars do tend to be popular among adult collectors.

I'm not sure if the red AAR 'Cuda is an error or a variation. It could be that the factory ran out of pink paint and substituted red just to keep the production lines moving. That would be a variation, and not an error. Time will tell which the red AAR 'Cuda is. If you like it well enough, go on back to the store and grab it.

The Mystery cars are in cellophane bags this year. There is a code stamped on the bag, and the last two numbers tell you which car is inside. (I'm sure I got some funny looks when closely examining them during a recent Wal-Mart trip!) As for the Aston-Martin you showed, it's a Wal-Mart exclusive, and not a Super Treasure Hunt. I cannot see the size of the Redline tampo making any sort of difference whatsoever.

Above all, collect what you like, like what you collect, and enjoy your stay here at HT!

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Welcome to the hobby, and to HobbyTalk Adam. I'd definitely say you have the bug, it's a classic story. :lol:

Mainstream Hot Wheels, or "mainlines" as they're commonly referred, are an inexpensive gateway into the collecting hobby, and how many collectors get started as kids and adults. But as you get more into the hobby, and learn about all the different vehicles there are to collect - way beyond mainlines, there may come a time when you have so many mainlines, and you wonder why you bought them all. Because at a dollar a pop, they add up like crazy! So I would suggest just keeping that it mind. Unless you really like the mainlines!

Also, if you see a particular casting that you like, but you don't care for the paint job, don't feel pressured to get it anyway. Because they always release other colors that you might like better... Most of all, don't take it too seriously, or get hypnotized by the manufactured collectibility of chase cars - like Treasure Hunts (although it's always fun to find them!). Just collect what you really like as others have said, and have fun with it! :thumbsup:

Dad had a 68 Hemi 440 Barracuda in his teen years
440 or Hemi?

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Welcome to HT Adam...

Looks as though you are covered in all the questions you asked...

I have nothing to add as everyone before did a great job in explaining what is what in collecting HWs...

Like everyone said - Collect what you like and do not get over your head as Mattel will own your bank account soon enough...

M2 Castline owns mine... Ugghhh :freak:

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
Looks like you have a lot of information to work with now.
As for the Redline, that is aWalmart exclusive. They had 10 cars that had redlines. Wal-mart has done this for a couple of years now. You will see these cars at other stores with their normal wheels.
Regarding the raffle of a case, maybe it was K-Day event? Stores don't raffle cases off..usually.
Like some have said before:collect what you like,otherwise you'll go nuts or broke buying everything up.

·
Premium Member
8,993 Posts
Welcome to hobbytalk.com Adam. Nice Finds and Gifts Congrats. Collect What You Like. That is What I Do.:wave::thumbsup:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Welcome to HT Adam! There is a great group of people on this site and alot of info!! Your off to a great start, good luck with your new hobby!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Welcome Adam! I'm new here too. My word of advice to you the "After all, they're only $1 !!!" mentality makes it so easy to get out of hand. Next thing you know you'll have stopped at a store to get some bread or something and then you'll find yourself standing in line at the register with a loaf of bread and 15 cars. It's even harder to control when the kids get into it too (my daughter has more cars and track than me and all my friends growing up combined ever did) Hahaha! Oh well, gotta love it! TH's and such are cool, but the real value is in what you like, having fun, and sharing it with your kids. This Forum is awesome with awesome people. look forward to your posts.

....oh and another little word of caution.... if you're the creative type watch out cuz the customizing bug might bite you and that causes you to buy even more cars (some just to canabalize for parts)...... just sayin'. he he he:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Welcome to Hobby Talk!
If I may, I would like to add this as a thought to your collecting pursuit;
If you start now it will be a lot easier than waiting a few months down the road, but use excel and try to keep track of your models. Make a data base or use something that will keep track of your toys.
Most of us will agree that it is easier to start one when you are first bitten than it is to start one when you have been at this for several years.
Another suggestion is to make a display of every year for a particular model.
Sometimes that makes thing more interesting. (filling in the holes).
Jsut some thoughts.
Richard

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry. Ive been busy with work and life. Got some more cars in! : )

Last Sunday at Target. I thought I had an error Corvette with the different color rims. But, I checked out at HW.com, its supposed to be like that. Its still cool though!

Saturday at my local Toys R Us. My first TH find! and MY NEXT 2!!! All three were in the same box in the island display. There was a guy already there. Trying to act stupid but I knew he was a collector. Looking upside down to see the tires gave it away : ) So I was looking through some cars near the bottom island, had to squat down to see them all. Found a Mars Rover, now I have 2. So I saw another Mars Rover and the guy next to me(i guess he was too lazy to squat down and look) happened to say, do you see any Mars Rover? I said, matter of fact, yeah! Here ya go! Sure, I could've kept it to buy it but I already now have 2 so I figured spread the happiness. He offered from his stash cart a Dodge Charger Fire Dept Super Treasure(rubber tires) I declined, you keep it. I hate red and I knew he was a collector off the bat lol. But Im so happy that, not 1 but 3 Treasure Hunts! To be honest, I was under the impression that they had rubber tires. But learned later that day, only Super TH does. Oh well! Heres more from Toys R Us from Saturday's find

Different Toys R Us, Sunday's find. Green is Good! (to me)

Target, Sunday's Find. Not bad for a rainy day! Finally got my dad's car!!! But I wished they had green!

Ive definitely been bitten!

·
Premium Member
8,993 Posts
Nice Finds Congrats.:wave::thumbsup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice Finds Congrats.:wave::thumbsup:
Thanks! I love the suspense and the hunt while I arrive to the store. I feel weird though. A 31 yr old husband/father in a kids toys section, I feel like a creep and a burnout lol.

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
Thanks! I love the suspense and the hunt while I arrive to the store. I feel weird though. A 31 yr old husband/father in a kids toys section, I feel like a creep and a burnout lol.
I certainly do not feel weird and I've got a lot of years on you. More often than not I see adults at the Hot Wheel section than kids.
Enjoy the hobby.
By the way nice finds, that '69 Corvette T-Hunt is one from this year that I really want but can't seem to find.
Until a few years ago all of the T-Hunts had rubber wheels till Mattel went to the 2 tier syatem.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Until a few years ago all of the T-Hunts had rubber wheels till Mattel went to the 2 tier syatem.
Actually it wasn't universal back then either (prior to the regular/Supers split)...there were MANY Treasure Hunts that were essentially just repaints with ordinary wheels on them. Thought the same way you did but was just browsing through ebay today and realized that fact (RRs weren't on everything)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Actually it wasn't universal back then either (prior to the regular/Supers split)...there were MANY Treasure Hunts that were essentially just repaints with ordinary wheels on them. Thought the same way you did but was just browsing through ebay today and realized that fact (RRs weren't on everything)
Ah! Always learning something new here : )

I certainly do not feel weird and I've got a lot of years on you. More often than not I see adults at the Hot Wheel section than kids.
Enjoy the hobby.
By the way nice finds, that '69 Corvette T-Hunt is one from this year that I really want but can't seem to find.
Thanks for the reassurance. It's definitely a lot of fun. Once I get the info for where to get individual cases, I'm going to start on my son's wall and I will definitely post pics of that!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts