Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Here is the begining of a Moebius TV Version Seaview for a client.

This will be a statcic build(no lights), with an additional mini Flying Sub, Diving Bell and mini-sub. The Model will be painted in correct color and all seams will be removed...

The opening up of the Limber Holes...

·
Banned
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE...

The Seaview is basically together. Now for the fun part...filling the seams. The only seam that still is a pain in the butt, is that "Lone Ranger Mask" of the viewports.

Also will be filling up the Stand mounting holes...

·
Banned
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Really? It always surpirses me when a client says no lights please in a model that just begs to be lit. Oh well, less work for you I guess.

Believe it.

Not everyone is as hip to lighting models as some of us around here. Less work is an unfair statement.
The removable of the horrible "Lone Ranger Mask" seams is what is going to take the most time on this build. Oh, I could fudge it like some other builds where the modeler shadows the area etc, but that's not what the sub looks like.

Cost comes into consideration as well. The addition of lights costs extra.
Besides that, I have found a lot of clients simply don't want to light the models. They are paying for it,It's their model.
Weather or not it "begs to be lit" is like all things related in this Hobby, Up to the individual.
I have seen some builds that are so Incorrectly lit(out of scale , way too bright, looks like a toy), and they somehow get ooohs and ahhhs from the members here.

Hopefully the client will love this build as much as the others I have done to his requests.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Well, lit or unlit, I'm sure your client will be thrilled with the model based on what I've seen of your work sir. You're talent speaks for itself.

:thumbsup:

·
Banned
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, lit or unlit, I'm sure your client will be thrilled with the model based on what I've seen of your work sir. You're talent speaks for itself.

:thumbsup:
Many Thanks Trek!

Update...

I Have removed the seams from the Window part in front of the boat. It's now as it should be. Proceeding to the rest of the seams now!!!

·
Banned
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update!!!!

More work on all the seams around the boat...Hope to finish this part and move on to Finishing up the interior/ and installation, the work on last seam around. Then on to the two sets of Flying subs/Diving bells/minisubs!!!

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Cap't, do you ever sleep? I know, I know, sleep is for the weak....

Not knowing much about the Seaview, what exactly is the "Lone Ranger Mask"?

HAL9001-

·
Banned
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cap't, do you ever sleep? I know, I know, sleep is for the weak....

Not knowing much about the Seaview, what exactly is the "Lone Ranger Mask"?

HAL9001-
Lol!!! I sleep sometimes!!

"The Lone Ranger Mask" is the front Viewport. Moebius offerd a choice for windows...one with frames and one without.(The 17'2" Miniature did NOT have frames, However the Eight foot miniature did).
It leaves a terrible seam(s).

Some guys just fudge the seam by doing the Star Trek grid lines look, But that's not what the Boat looked like.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Captain, you are doing a fantastic job on this sub. I've loved the Seaview since I was a kid. And it's some of the reason why I joined the navy and went on a sub. But much to my disappointment, I found that real subs don't have windows !! As for lighting, I know that I've seen alot of models that were terribly over lighted. So bright that it really took away from all the hard work, skill, and beauty of the build. With some models the lights really need to be part of the background, and not in your face. So I can understand why some clients wouldn't want a model lighted. They prefer to have all the tiny details of the model itself, to be what gets your attention.

·
Banned
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE.

As I continue to eliminate the seams around the boat, I have built up the Interior Control room and Flying Sub Bay.

I have also started preshading Seaview to look like the Miniature from the series.
The client wants this to look like the Miniature.

For the sake of argument, And truth be told, The Seaview is NOT light Ghost Grey on the upper hull, nor is it white on the lower hull/ keel.
I mixed my own color(s), and Airbrushed the boat.

·
Banned
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDATE...

The Upper Hull has been airbrushed again, and will get several more coats To get the correct look of the 17'2"Miniature.

...The two sets of Flying Sub, DivingBell and Mini-Subs are base painted waiting to be fully put together and detail painted.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts