Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,fellow modelers.I am a new member and in need of a bit of help.I am about to start building my Moebius 1/128 39" 4-window Seaview and have foolishly misplaced my color code chart.I'd really appreciate it if anyone out there could post this chart or e-mail it to me.My address is [email protected] doubt I will find my own chart as soon as my model is complete.Thank You in advance and happy modeling! Gary:wave:

·
Oxidation Genius
31,301 Posts

·
Banned
259 Posts
8 window Seaview colors

I don't know what Seaview color chart you're referring to or which particular Seaview you're building. As far as the exterior goes, the movie and 1st season and all 4' and 17' Seaviews are pretty basic, a dark grey over a light grey so light that it's almost white. According to people who have studied the miniatures, the colors could be:
Movie Seaviews
Topside: dark grey. FS 36300 is perfect, a close mix would be 50% light ghost grey FS36375 and 50% FS 36320
Bottom: an extremely pale grey that looks white compared to anything else, maybe a mix of JA Army grey FS35630 and Camo grey FS36622.
First season Seaviews
Topside: Dark grey FS 36118, close match Tamiya AS 10, RAF Ocean Grey
Bottom: light grey green, not quite green enough but close is Tamiya AS 16
From the few pictures I've seen, all of the 1st season miniatures were painted to match each other, as were all the movie miniatures.
For the 2nd season onwards, the 8' hero miniature (and possibly only the 8' - the 17' shows no signs of this paint scheme and no late 4's have been color documented) was painted a complex scheme that is authoritatively detailed in this thread:
http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=320432&highlight=seaview
Okay guys, no one directly asked me here on Hobby Talk, but I was asked elsewhere to respond to this posting regarding these colors. I have chips from the restoration of the 4 foot wood and plaster in first season and feature colors Seaviews.

I do not see any authentication to the color mix claims presented above but I will tell you this, the 17 footer was indeed painted in a lighter shade than the 8 1/2 and 4 1/4 footers. Just look at the Gene Trindle TV Guide image (below) and see for yourselves.

In my opinion, close enough to the 17 foot Feature version paint is:
Top: Tamiya AS 10 Ocean Gray (RAF)
Bottom: Tamiya TS 81

I believe those shades were carried through to the first season on the 17 footer, check out the first season color pilot.

The other smaller miniatures were darker for the feature but slightly lightened for T.V. This as a rule, all things had to be lightened for the NTSC System cameras. Also, with a more purple-ish hue to the top surfaces and the undersides a slightly greener tint was added and is most clearly visible on the four footer in this TV Guide Shot:

There are original chips of paint on plaster from the very first Seaview, the wooden Four Footer. Pieces that do indeed match the fiberglass Four Footer's colors as seen here held by "Captain Crane." These were from the wood, plaster and steel tube "Approval Model" after it collided with and broke Adrian Samish's hip bone. The actual, original pieces are a purple-ish gray (top hull color) and a light greenish gray (underside color.)

Note the 17 foot Seaview in the background has unarguably both a more neutral and lighter shade of gray than the 8-1/2 foot and Four Foot Seaviews. This difference is very much visible on the stern sections of the two larger miniatures. ---Paul

·
Banned
4,339 Posts
It's a safe bet that the colors that Mr. Lubliner has mentioned, are probably the Best choice to get your boat to look like the Miniature, colorwise. Correction, THE best choice for the colors of Seaview.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,301 Posts
Ya know, everybody's being really helpful,and that's wonderful, but nobody seems to have actually read the first post! All the fella asked for was a copy of the color chart that came with the FOUR-window 1/128 Seaview kit. This:

·
Banned
4,339 Posts
Ya know, everybody's being really helpful,and that's wonderful, but nobody seems to have actually read the first post! All the fella asked for was a copy of the color chart that came with the FOUR-window 1/128 Seaview kit. This:
Of Course your right, Perhaps you should have included the chart with your first post? But, he may actually make out better using the Colors suggested by Paul.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,301 Posts
Of Course your right, Perhaps you should have included the chart with your first post?
:freak: Difficult since I wasn't at home when I posted that. I went and dug my kit out of the bottom of the piles in the basement when I finally saw no one else was understanding his simple request. I'm sorry if that wasn't good enough for you.

But, he may actually make out better using the Colors suggested by Paul.
Which doesn't help him if he's trying to match the little code letters in the instructions with various internal parts during assembly.

The in-depth discussion of the external colors is, of course, valuable. It's just that that wasn't what the guy asked for.

·
Banned
4,339 Posts
:freak: Difficult since I wasn't at home when I posted that. I went and dug my kit out of the bottom of the piles in the basement when I finally saw no one else was understanding his simple request. I'm sorry if that wasn't good enough for you.

Which doesn't help him if he's trying to match the little code letters in the instructions with various internal parts during assembly.

The in-depth discussion of the external colors is, of course, valuable. It's just that that wasn't what the guy asked for.

LOL!!!

What a great guy!!

Have a great weekend!!

·
Oxidation Genius
31,301 Posts
fenderbender19 said:
Thanks,John. You're the man! This is just what I needed. I was stuck without this chart. Many thanks again, Gary
No problem! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts